Is free-camping killing caravan parks?

Freedom to explore this great country the way we want to
jock

Re: Is free-camping killing caravan parks?

Post by jock » Sun May 22, 2016 9:42 am

Yes! We’ve also had lots of ‘bad’ experiences in Caravan Parks but I have to say they pale into insignificance compared to the unpleasantness We’ve experienced in free camps. May be We were, indeed unlucky but it seems, judging by many conversations with others during Happy Hours, We are not alone.
I reckon the likes of the “Camps” series red ticking the good freebies has actually just about killed them for most who travel in popular times. Our regular, most recent, “Northern soujorn” to Cairns was a good case in point. One of them – Bushy Parker Park was so full that guy ropes were crossing, generators were cackling and it would have been impossible for the toilets to cope..We didn’t stay..Most of the others were the same. Had to be a health hazard not to mention the safety angle.

M.H. in the past has referred to her preference to free camp saying She’d rather do that than be “packed like sardines” in a C.P..

It has long been a mystery to me that some people who prefer to free camp should be so vehement in their denigration of Caravan Parks. They promote and promote ad nauseum their free camping preferences to the degree that it becomes tiresome, especially to those that prefer the security, amenities like town water, cleanliness and proximity to attractions that most Caravan Parks offer.

We free camp quite a bit but, I have to say, We prefer to stay in Caravan Parks of our choice…C.P’s that are not on the main Road, next to a Railway or Truck stop with spacious sites are out there.
In our case, as We get older, We tend not to be taking on so many big epic journeys and have actually found a Caravan Park within easy reach which, to our way of thinking, is perfect….Huge sites with concrete pads, tap water, sullage, shade, ..Sparkling amenities..Sites are so large..starting with a Garden bed, caravan, annexe car and boat then next door neighbors start. excellent phone and TV reception, no traffic noise, unbelievable bird life, fantastic privacy and wait! that’s not all ;-) Camp fires are allowed also and our chosen site does not have any rear neighbors.
Where is this Utopia You ask???? ……I’m not telling!!!

Fair enough to have a discussion comparing the two forms of camping but you should always respect the preference viewpoint that others have.

As I alluded to earlier..I could write a book on the many, many negative experiences We’ve had during our extensive camping travels over the past 50 years or so….most of them would involve free camping.

Jock :)

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Sun May 22, 2016 11:59 am

Yep you must be traveling in busy areas Jock; In 10 years all over the country I have never had things go wrong really.
We had a Herd of vans at Long reach all in a long row but not on top of each other , and a close camp on the road to Darwin. That’s as bad as I have ever had it.
If I see a dozen vans in a camp I keep going. I always find a camping spot some where, and usually on our own.
It’s different once you get to a destination or the coastal areas where it’s just a given to go into a national park or caravan park. I also take note of good camps that will never appear on a camp book and log them into my gps for a return journey etc.
Some times it never gets used, and it might be just a disused cutting caused by road works, or an empty gravel siding that gets you off the road way.
I like to get out of sight of the main traffic.
Traffic noise is every where though. I mean we have 100 kph roads and they put the rest stops 5 metres away from them. Nothing unusual to have van parks right on the main interstate roads as well.

MH, the bloke next door with his TV on loud is usually just plain deaf and doesn’t know his volume is up. And when they talk to you they are almost shouting…. :) Pretty hard to deal with some of those folk.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Sun May 22, 2016 9:04 pm

You are right Jock in saying that publicity can kill camping areas through over use. Wikicamps will really increase this trend.

It is all about choices; be they choosing powered sites every night, freedom from cost, freedom from neighbours, or a mixture of them all like most of us choose. I will stand up for choices like these for Australians, and long may our freedom continue.

Likewise Paul, we can usually find somewhere to pull off for the night on our own and further away from the traffic. When in campgrounds, our neighbouring campers have always been good company and thoroughly pleasant people who we have enjoyed sharing each other’s experiences of their travels, home, family or whatever.

We live out of earshot of anyone, and well away from main roads. We are very sensitive to town noise, road noise and neighbour noise when wanting to sleep.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

jock

Post by jock » Mon May 23, 2016 7:22 am

Certainly appreciate the reasoning and importance of us having the freedom of choice.
But that is exactly my point…..Folk who prefer to stay in Caravan parks are expressing their “Freedom of Choice”

Again, why do all the mags concentrate so heavily on Free Camping. ??? Why do so many of the Free Camping exponents rubbish Caravan Parks.???

” Is free camping killing caravan parks?” I think not.

Jock :confused:

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Mon May 23, 2016 10:19 am

I can’t remember if we have ever used a so called ‘free camp’ in our 12 years of caravanning :confused:

We have popped into a few for a coffee break or lunch. Most were on the side of a busy highway and very unappealing for an overnight.

No doubt there are some great free camps – just that we have not specifically looked for them. I would always have a nagging concern about security and safety at free camps but my comment is pure speculation without any experience.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

A’van

Post by A’van » Mon May 23, 2016 11:33 am

I think some caravan parks are killing themselves.
We have driven past parks in towns where i could not see any reason to stay, they were mostly empty. In some parks the conditions are so bad, let’s get out of here quick.
If people are going to pay, they want some comforts, but if you’re running late at night and desperate.
What do they say: Any port in a storm ;-)

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A’van Aliner

GerryP

Post by GerryP » Mon May 23, 2016 11:36 am

An interesting thread with interesting points of view and experiences. We are on the road full time at the moment for about the next year, we are retired and don’t have a lot of spare cash… we’re not poor, but we’re not flush with cash either. There’s no way we could actually afford $30 – $40 a night, every night for a year on our budget. I see a number of comments that suggest if you can afford a nice caravan and tug, you can afford to pay for parks to stay in. In reality, the money people have (had?) may have been most of their savings and after setting themselves up, have very little to spare.

Over the preceding 15 to 20 years, we have done a lot of travelling, much of it with a 4WD club and a lot of it in very remote areas. We’ve softened a bit over the years and are now travelling alone (the wife, me and our dog), mainly on good country roads. We generally avoid the coast and the larger cities as we prefer the country feeling and hospitality the smaller towns offer.

Back to the topic… “Is free-camping killing caravan parks?” I would say no, not at all. I do agree with Hans though and think though that a lot of caravan parks are killing themselves by overpricing for very basic offerings. I keep a spreadsheet of all our accommodation and it is currently sitting on 50:50 free camping to paid camping. I say paid camping because we will generally prefer low-cost or showgrounds to caravan parks, even though many showgrounds seem to be raising their prices as well.

We have never had any problems free camping. We have however, had stuff stolen in a caravan park. Granted, some free camps I probably wouldn’t leave the caravan to go sightseeing, but there are many where I have.

I think van parks cater for a different clientele to those who prefer to free or low-cost camp. I know it has been suggested before, but if more van parks were to offer a low cost alternative to self contained travellers, they could capture a few more of those that they think(?) they are missing out on.
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2012 Traveller Sensation Pinnacle 21′
Member VKS737 – mobile 3535

Jay&dee

Post by Jay&dee » Mon May 23, 2016 12:09 pm

jock wrote:Certainly appreciate the reasoning and importance of us having the freedom of choice.
But that is exactly my point…..Folk who prefer to stay in Caravan parks are expressing their “Freedom of Choice”

Again, why do all the mags concentrate so heavily on Free Camping. ??? Why do so many of the Free Camping exponents rubbish Caravan Parks.???

Hi Jock,

I totally agree with you re the magazine promotions of “Free / low cost camping”

I think it was not that many years ago that “free Camping ” received very little promo in the Magazines.
I subscribe to the Caravan & Motorhome on Tour mag. It is a great educational mag for all walks of life in the caravan industry.

My view is that as long as everyone follow the golden rule of …. leave not trace, then we should be able to enjoy what ever choice of camping we desire.

We desire the Free Camping/ low cost / bush camping.
By low cost I am not talking of low cost caravan parks.

Jay&Dee

Jay&dee

Post by Jay&dee » Mon May 23, 2016 12:09 pm

jock wrote:Certainly appreciate the reasoning and importance of us having the freedom of choice.

Hi Jock,

I totally agree with you re the magazine promotions of “Free / low cost camping”

I think it was not that many years ago that “free Camping ” received very little promo in the Magazines.
I subscribe to the Caravan & Motorhome on Tour mag. It is a great educational mag for all walks of life in the caravan industry.

My view is that as long as everyone follow the golden rule of …. leave not trace, then we should be able to enjoy what ever choice of camping we desire.

We desire the Free Camping/ low cost / bush camping.
By low cost I am not talking of low cost caravan parks.

Jay&Dee

Ancient Mariner

Post by Ancient Mariner » Mon May 23, 2016 5:48 pm

Agree with you Jock
16 years of caravanning and now in a Motor Home we have not once “free camped” as such. The MH is set up to do so but we choose to pull up in caravan parks.
We are fortunate to be able to do so but we do get bombed with magazines touting free camping all the time.
Each to their own of course
Check out the parks online and people will not be disappointed when they pull up for the night.
I like OT prefer the security that CV parks offer.

Return to “Free Camping”