View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Is free-camping killing caravan parks? 

Post Re: Is free-camping killing caravan parks? Letter To the Edi
Hello Fred,

I have read your editorial and Mark Knowles’ feature article in Issue 179 several times each to try to understand what is being talked about.

The caravan park industry has been very volatile for the past twenty-five years. Some of the statistics quoted in your article show this continues to be the case.

When examining the question of free camping and formal caravan parks, I don’t believe it should be posed as an “either/or” situation. There is room for both ends of the spectrum and as some contributors have pointed out, many alternatives in between.

I am concerned instances have been put forward as examples of the Competitive Neutrality Principles at work. But is that really the case?

Naturally, any structured camping area, whether it be organised by Local Govt., NPWS or the local scout troop, must comply with planning and environmental laws. It is mentioned that some showgrounds in NSW have been ordered to close, but nothing is said of the grounds on which the order is made. Was it CNP? Was it a breach of planning? Or something else?

I raise this point because when I went to the Australian Govt. Productivity Commission web site, it shows that NSW does not yet have a structure in place to deal with CNP matters.

When perusing the relevant Tasmanian Govt. web-site, I found a letter by State Treasury to all Local Govt’s setting out the requirements that Tasmanian Councils must observe when entering into a significant business activity.

The Tasmanian letter equivocated about just what is a significant business activity and tries to pass the buck to the Councils by suggesting that all business activity is significant.

The Productivity Commission, however gives a clear definition and uses Australia Post as an example. The Queensland web-site dealing with this issue is much closer to the national model and gives Queensland Rail as an example of a significant business activity.

So for the CNP to apply, it seems to me that a Local Govt. camp-site would have to be a registered enterprise, capable of undertaking business dealings through tendering, borrowing and fulfilling contractual obligations amongst other things.

Now I know some of the free camps around the country are pretty flash, but I am fairly confident none of them could undertake a commercial dealing. Which invites the question; just what is going on?

There may be a little bit of the grumpy caravan park owner not happy about free camps. We have encountered a couple of these in our travels. There are some Local Govt’s that adopt as policy that there will be no free camping in their council area. We have seen these too.

Obviously some Local Govt. camps have been told to close, but was it really all about CNP? We need a bit more information from those who are saying that this is the case. Give us some details, then we can determine a good old fashioned Australian response to bureaucratic meddling.

Best wishes,

Bob Williams
Dapto

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:42 am

Post Re: Is free-camping killing caravan parks?
We stay only in caravan parks because we like the security and not have to worry about running out of water, having to carry generators, solar panels and worrying about not having any power. We like to use the aircon to keep cool as we live in Qld and spend many weekends in our state. Most free camp spots are too far out of town and are not close to areas we want to visit. Could not leave our van unsecured all day while we go sight seeing and bush walking either.

Some caravan parks do charge too much so why stay there unless you want to use the posh pool or play on a jumping pillow. :roll: You get what you pay for. Trouble is common free campers annoy me that they stay a couple of nights in caravan parks to fill their water tanks and charge their batteries. We faithful caravan parkers ultimately pay for your free water and power even though you pay for your site fees for a couple of nights. Must admit though that lately all the caravan parks we have stayed at in NSW and in Qld have been 70% full. My guess is that we actually need MORE caravan parks. RV sales are up so that is my thought.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:34 pm

We stay in both
We mostly free camp and look to stay in smaller caravan parks that don,t have all the bells and whistles that only the snobs require.
We don,t stay in c/parks on the coast for obvious reasons and much prefer to the outback.
we support the smaller towns and leave the larger ones alone.
regards
Dustypair

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:17 am

I have contacted the CMCA association ( Caravan motorhome camping association) and I have been told that I can not join the club, as I have a caravan and the CMCA is only for motorhomes. However I can become an Associate member.

I am really only wanting to be a member of the CMCA so I can have my voice heard re the right to "Free Camping" and hoping the CMCA will lobby a lot harder with the authorities to have this to come to pass.

I have not made up my mind if I should join as an Associate.

Jay&Dee

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi Jay and Dee

Have you considered joining ACC? http://www.australiancaravanclub.com.au … &Itemid=69

This and other caravanner interest groups have combined under the MoTouring banner as a lobby group. http://www.cmca.net.au/pages/news/artic … tralia.pdf

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:52 am
Profile WWW

In my opinion caravan parks are killing caravan parks. There are two markets that they are dealing with. One is the baby boomers who want to live the dream after all the years of work and going without for their kids, and the second is the new breed ot traveller the younger ones who travel with their kids and require all of the new amenties that the parks now provide. We are now on the road full time and we do a lot of free camping, but there are the times when we do use parks.
Another reason I say that they are killing themselves for example, we have on two occasions rung in advance for a booking as we have a long van ( 25ft plus drawbar ) and have been asked how long we are as they charged a certain fee up to 21 ft in length including drawbar and vans over that are charged an extra $3 per night. So you see with that level of greed and the prices charged for the services that the older generation do not require, they are shooting themselves in the foot.
Anyone else had this happen to them. Regards V & L

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:27 pm

hi V & L,
WE stayed at The Cove caravan park in Point Sampson WA recently Powered site $49 /night and if you were over 21 feet it would cost you $55 /night.
Lucky my van is only 18 ft.
So, yes I agree with you.
Pushing people away especially retirees

Mal

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:52 pm

Post Re: G’day to All
the discussion of FREE Camping needs to be opened up further, caravan parks need to think outside the square. here are some suggestions, would they work, I do not know, anyway, if a council allowed vans & RVs to stop in showgrounds then a minimal charge for the ground of $15 per night, if they wished to have facilities then why not have coin operated toilets and showers, next if a caravan park wishes to obtain more business they need to be more flexible if they have the room. if a van or RV only requires a area to park for the night or nights for security then start at $15, if they require water, power, dump point or sullage then clients pay for that privilege. it becomes complicated but if the park owners want the business it really is no different to any other service where the user pays. barry

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:37 pm

Some are doing this already Barry. Low Head Caravan Park in the north of Tasmania offer a fully self contained rigs area for $12 per night at their caravan park (no dump point on site). Boyup Brook in WA have fully self contained camping in a paddock at their caravan park $11 per night for two (free use of dump point at caravan park and water fill for a ‘small fee’).

Some caravan parks who are forward thinking for fully self contained campers have additional fees for use of amenities as you suggest.

They are up against strict regulations for their caravan park licence, and this includes facilities for sites – so they are up for those costs anyway.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:21 pm
Profile WWW

I feel that caravan parks in certain areas are driving us to Free camping , take the Kimberley & Pilbara in WA IE Broome caravan parks are now charging up to $65 per night & Port Hedland $59 pn.
Those prices are way out of the line for the average Grey Nomad & have greatly encouraged me into Free Camping on our trips away.

Geoff & Bev
NP Pajero GLX Diesel Auto
07 Millard Horizon 17′ Pop Top

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next