View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Free-camping with pets?! 

Post Re: Free-camping with pets?!
Our dog always travels with us and free camping is the easiest to do. He's never allowed to free roam but often has free games with other camping pooches. If travelling in W.A., always be aware that wild dog baiting poses a big risk in most agricultural and mining regions.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:17 pm

Oh I completely forgot about fox baits! I have a german shepherd X who-knows-what. He's much smaller than a german shepherd and mostly cream coloured... hold on, I'll attach a photo!

Anyway, I often can't take him walking in the bush near my place because they fox bait in there regularly, but I hadn't considered it might be a problem if i travelled with him.

Has anyone ever gone to a campsite only to find they can't let their dog off the leash at all because of the baits?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

C&M Production Editor
[email protected]

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:20 am

And yes, I have an incredibly messy bedroom :oops:

C&M Production Editor
[email protected]

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:21 am

Leanne ,

When travelling through pastoral areas in WA we keep the dogs at the roadside due to dog (dingo) baits. It is a risk no matter what as they can be transported .

I have a few friends who have lost their dogs due to baits and snakes.

So far so good for us.

Take it easy.

SD

Your dog has one of those innocent faces which in all probability is opposite to the actual character. Who me?

South East Coast Westoz

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:50 am

G'day All,

We travel extensively with the Boy!

Where we go, he goes.

There has been some mention reference baiting, and this is cause for concern when travelling with pets (especially with dogs).

To avoid baiting, you can purchase varying enclosed muzzles that you can place on your dog and that will alleviate any chance of the dog eating baits.

We always travel with, and use, the “Holidaying with Dogs” book. We have found it to be extremely useful in finding all accommodation requirements.

We ravel with his vaccination/inoculations book, and make sure that it is maintained and up to date.

We ensure that he is vaccinated with C5 vaccination, Many pet sitters i.e Kennels won’t accept a dog unless they are vaccinated with C5. Your Vet should know what C5 means.

We ensure his heart worming is up to date, and I am extremely the absolute best at TICK Spotting and Removal.

He has his own first aid kit at the ready whenever we travel, it is packed into the car and not the van, as we always go places in the car and are often away from the van.

We have taught him not to go too close to the water’s edge, but rather stop well back from it, (Croc’s, have more stealth than a dog!!!).

Also for those that may not know, in NSW, it is Illegal to have a dog travel unrestrained in the rear of, and inside a vehicle. You can purchase harnesses from any pet shop and or retail outlets such as the Reject shops and even Go Lo for as little as $10; and these are designed to simply click into any seat belt retainer.

Enough of my soap box talking.

Cheers,

PeterM.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:40 am

Dont know about other States but up here in Qld. It is illegal to leave a dog locked up in a car by itself..regardless of whether or not windows are wound down slightly to give it air.
Also, talked to a fellow traveller yesterday at Conway Beach CP who mentioned that he was charged an extra $5.00 per nite in a CP for his Foxy...as I recollect somewhere on the Sth. Coast N.S.W. !!!!

Jock :(

Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi Leanne, always assume there maybe baits around. Train him to wear a muzzle though even this is no guarantee of total protection. So far, we've been lucky and our chap is fairly fussy- he's a cautious sniffer instead of a fast scoffer. And seeing as our Sam hates the wind, hates flies, hates the sun on him and is positively paranoid about ants touching his feet, he prefers to spend his bush time in the comfort of our vehicle.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:32 pm

Ah, yes, my Ollie isn't that way inclined - he'll happily sit with you, but only after he's gone wild, rampaged through the bush, tested out the creeks, begun to dig for China etc! Gotta love him though. I think a muzzle would weird him out... might be funny to try one on him!

C&M Production Editor
[email protected]

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:35 am

G'day All,

We didn't replace our two dogs when, over time, they handed in their dinner bowls.
We both love dogs and would love to have one both for company and in some cases protection of us and our property.
The problem for travellers and dogs is the rule that dogs can't be taken into National Parks.
We were recently staying in a free camp in a National Park and a couple turned up with a blue cattle dog. She was a beautiful and friendly dog who was ready to have a game and maybe a handout from everyone at the site. Unfortunately that night the dog's owners let her out for a late night twinkle. In the morning the savaged body of one of the bandicoots that had been calling on all campers was found. The dog owners refused to believe that it was their dog that killed the bandicoot - they soon packed up and disappeared from the site.
The point is that uncontrolled dogs are the reason that dogs aren't allowed into National Parks.
By all means travel with dogs - enjoy their company but please keep them under control.

Cheers CHONGA

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:08 am

peterm wrote:

in NSW, it is Illegal to have a dog travel unrestrained in the rear of, and inside a vehicle.

Same in Qld, they must be restrained and I suspect it is the same in other states as well

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next