View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

Post New Member
Hi All,

I have posted a few times but now it's time for introductions.

We are a family of four consisting of myself, my wife, and two little girls aged 3 and 6.

We have a LC200 Sahara and a 24 ft (or thereabouts) Majestic Knight Series 3 that we bought new a little over 12 months ago. So far we have had great times with the van doing many smaller trips (up to 500kms from home) but are preparing to hit the road full time for a while. We decided to do this while the kids are still young enough that we can take them out of school for a while and do distance education while we travel. From all reports it should be a great experience for them.

[ATTACH]2846[/ATTACH]

About the van:
24ft Majestic Knight Series 3 with lift and Simplicity suspension, Aussie Traveller Annexe (on order), Ibis A/C, Honda 2kVA Generator, Webasto Diesel Heater, Webber Q, Wireless internet around the van using Telstra NextG USB Modem and Netcomm Wireless Broadban Router with external high gain antenna, Rear View Camera.

About the tug:
LC200 Sahara, ARB Sahara Bar with IPF Spotties, Old Man Emu suspension, Warn 9000lb winch, GME TX3440 UHF, Hema Navigator 5 that doubles as monitor for rear view camera on van, Hayman Reese WDH, tire upgrade still to come.

I've been enjoying the forum and already picked up lots of great tips. Looking forward to seeing you on the road!

Jonathan

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:36 am

Post Go for it!
Hi Jonathan

Welcome to the wonderful world of travelling & caravanning, what a beautiful set-up you have to do it very comfortably full-time! :cool:

We have friends travelling full-time with 11yo twin girls & they are having the time of their lives & learning far more than in the classroom!! :)

Safe travels & enjoy every minute of it! :D

Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi Jonathan

Welcome to the wonderful world of travelling & caravanning, what a beautiful set-up you have to do it very comfortably full-time! :cool:

We have friends travelling full-time with 11yo twin girls & they are having the time of their lives & learning far more than in the classroom!! :)

Safe travels & enjoy every minute of it! :D

Thanks Darryl & Megan,

All the research I've done about educating kids of that age on the road appears to support your friends' experience. Great to hear they are enjoying it.

Jonathan

Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:27 pm

Welcome to the forum and family.
Nice setup too.

Cheers Rod

Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:39 pm

Welcome, you have a great set up. There will be many hours of fun and exploring in that.

Well done, it's a great idea taking kids out of school. I think not only the kids will enjoy the travels, there is so much to see and do. It will be a fantastic experience for all.

Noticed you have a diesel heater in your van, are you happy with it? We're looking at putting one in our van, so any comments on the heater would be appreciated.

Lorraine

Safe and happy travelling everyone :)

Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:57 am

Not so Grey Nomads,
Welcome to the forum and family.
Nice setup too.

Cheers Rod

Thanks Rod

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:13 am

Hi Jonathan,
Welcome, you have a great set up. There will be many hours of fun and exploring in that.

Well done, it's a great idea taking kids out of school. I think not only the kids will enjoy the travels, there is so much to see and do. It will be a fantastic experience for all.

Noticed you have a diesel heater in your van, are you happy with it? We're looking at putting one in our van, so any comments on the heater would be appreciated.

Lorraine

Thanks Lorraine,

Below is a link to some comments (3rd post from the top) I recently added to a thread I started a while back when considering purchasing the diesel heater. The comments provide more detail but to cut a long story short I wouldn't be without the diesel heater in cooler areas.

If you are Brisbane based I would be happy to provide details on where it was purchased etc if that helps.

http://forum.candm.com.au/showthread.php?t=5884&highlight;=diesel+heater&page;=3

Jonathan

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:19 am

We're in Sydney so we'll check some places here.
Yep, looked at the thread re heaters and definitely think the diesel heater is the way to go, just need to decide which make.
Thanks again
Lorraine

Safe and happy travelling everyone :)

Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:35 pm

hi there!! welcome and what a nice setup you have!
we are planning to head off on the lap in 18mths.There will be myself as Nav,hubby as driver and 3 kids...they will be 16yrs,12yrs and 5yrs when we leave.
we will be distance edding them and believe they will learn and see so much more on the road that they cant learn from a book.
Best of luck and if you still out there in 18mths we will see you then!

departure date for the Big Lap is March 2012
2 adults,3 kids,a dog and 2 cats!:)

Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:06 pm

hi there!! welcome and what a nice setup you have!
we are planning to head off on the lap in 18mths.There will be myself as Nav,hubby as driver and 3 kids...they will be 16yrs,12yrs and 5yrs when we leave.
we will be distance edding them and believe they will learn and see so much more on the road that they cant learn from a book.
Best of luck and if you still out there in 18mths we will see you then!

Thanks John and Kat,

I'm not sure how long we'll be out there yet... at this stage our plan is to have no plan and follow the wind so to speak.

With a bit of luck we'll see you out there.

Jonathan

Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]