View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Gibb River road 

Post Gibb River road
Hi all

Have not retired yet [279 days to go Im not counting really!]
Have to go to Broome in June for our sons wedding.We would like to do the Gibb River road while up there.
Our rig is a 2006 Landcruiser towing a 6mtr Supreme Territory.Will put photos on line when we work out how to do it.
My question is do you think the van is suitable for the trip.It will be our first major trip.The big one starts next year.The van is set up for free camping.Will be interested on your advice

Cheers Snow & Ree.

2006 Cruiser 6mtr Supreme Territory

Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:34 pm

We wouldn't take a van up the Gibb River Road. Been up twice, we leave the van in Derby and use a tent for the Gibb and other similar areas.
There are those who will say the road itself is ok, however there are so many detours that you need to make to enjoy the whole experience and access to many of these points demands enough of the 4WD without worrying about what to do with your van.
A simple tent, bbq and something to keep the essentials cool doesn't take up much space and allows a lot of freedom for travelling places like the GRR.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:06 am

Post Grr
Hi Snowy There is another thread about this in the itchy feet section under the headline of kimberlys.Have a read of that thread Yours Loub

Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:32 am

Post good advice
Murray & Anita wrote:
We wouldn't take a van up the Gibb River Road. Been up twice, we leave the van in Derby and use a tent for the Gibb and other similar areas.
There are those who will say the road itself is ok, however there are so many detours that you need to make to enjoy the whole experience and access to many of these points demands enough of the 4WD without worrying about what to do with your van.
A simple tent, bbq and something to keep the essentials cool doesn't take up much space and allows a lot of freedom for travelling places like the GRR.

Couldn't agree more. follow Loub's advice and read the other thread.
Jock

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:18 am

Post thanks for advice
Murray &Anita;, Loub and Jock,

Thanks for the advice.We are new to the forum and are feeling our way. Have read the itchy feet kimberly threadand think a rooftop tent may be on the want to buy list.Ree reckons there are to many Joe blakes to sleep at ground level.

cheers
Snow& Ree

2006 Landcruiser
6mtr Supreme Territory

Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:35 pm

I think this should do the job.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:42 pm

Post roof- top tent
snowy wrote:
Murray &Anita;, Loub and Jock,

Thanks for the advice.We are new to the forum and are feeling our way. Have read the itchy feet kimberly threadand think a rooftop tent may be on the want to buy list.Ree reckons there are to many Joe blakes to sleep at ground level.

cheers
Snow& Ree

2006 Landcruiser
6mtr Supreme Territory

G'day again Snowy
I dont think you'll have any problems with the Blakes at most of the camp-grounds along the way. In my opinion, Roof top tents, apart from being very expensive, are very limiting in camp comfort...you'd probably need some sort of awning as well so's you can set out your camp gear, table, chairs etc. etc.
I reckon you'd be better off with a decent, light weight tent..that way you can use your vehicle to get to the many highlight areas which are not usually near the camping grounds, without having to pack the roof-topper away each day.
Most tents have good zipp-up screening that would give you more than enough security agains possible animal intrusion.
Jock

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:06 am

Post Snow and Ree
Yes there are plenty of Joe Blakes around but they are very friendly, they will even come inside and keep you company.
Now on the serious side, a bit of tinkering about and they will dissapear, It is only when you come up to them not realising but also like I said they will always try to get away from you and not like a dog come the attack.
I believe people are to worried about them, I have been on the land for over 40 years and I can honestly say I have not seen a snake on my property, as a younger lad we would go out to kill the snakes and hang them on the fence but I can't remember when I last seen a snake hanging on the fence. That is not to say that they are not there, but like everything else in life a little bit of caution goes a long way, dont tell the kids to go looking for them as you might be asking for trouble.:rolleyes:
Bill and Dawn

Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:02 pm
Profile YIM

You will have no trouble if you drop your tyres pressure and drive sensibly to the condition. This track is no longer the caravan killer it was once reputed to be. It will be a bit dusty and some corrugations in places. Its better a little earlier in the season but in June there will be heaps of people travelling.

Just take your time and enjoy
John

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:37 pm

We were looking at a roof top unit for the cruiser but it limits the possibility if you ever want to put anything like a kayak or tinnie on top. We have been looking at the new batwing awning which can be joined to the Oztent. So we can leave the van behind and get to more places.
Laurie

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]