View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Hello I am new here 

Post Mally
Hi,
Hope you have a good trip nothing better than hitting the road and enjoying the sights and meeting friendly people. I am trying to visualize how you would do your suggested trip via Bendigo and Ballarat. I would go through Mount Gambier, Portland, Port Campbell to Anglesea then up to Ballarat. That part of Victoria is fantastic. Have a safe trip and take your time and enjoy. Apollo Bay is one of my favorites just love that area.

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:15 pm

Post Chesney
G'day hawkie
We had a Chesney Mk. IV for about 15 years before upgrading to a new Caravan in 2002. Essentially the same as yours but the bottom was sheet aluminium, clad and lined with wood internally... After strengthening the light chassis and sitting the springs on top of the axle to raise the height, we took it everywhere...Fraser Island, numerous times, Cape York several times, Kakadu and heaps of other difficult to get to places. I can honestly say that we've never had as much enjoyment out of any of our vans. We paid $1,300. for it (a fair while ago) and, after replacing the canvas, gave it to our son and young family in 2002...they continue to happily go camping in it.
Couple of things I did....I made up a set of crossbars for the roof to carry our tinny and/or Kayaks. I made a large wooden storage box which sat across the front draw bar and I had made up for us a 400mm strip of heavy duty tarp material to slip around the edge of the bed ends then under the base..to stop water coming in due to the mattresses touching the canvas..(Didn't worry about it if rain was not imminent). Also screwed some sail track along the roof section above the door and had a heavy duty tarp awning made up to fit. Also made up an extra shelf which fitted above the fridge and on this we placed our old Chescold fridge freezer while we were camped.
Hope you have as much fun as we did.
Jock

Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:28 pm

Hi Jock how did you find it for wind drag?

I have lots of power, fairlane with tickford 6 about 250BHP but concerned for gearbox and fuel consumption.

Thanks for the tip on the water on the beds, there is only 2 of us and I have claimed the table double and wife can have front single bench. haha

The chassis does seem very light duty and nothing to hang a rear bar, pole carrier or box on.

I am mounting the spare under the rear with a frame from the rear spring hangers back to the main body mounts.

Looking at adding a small box on the front to carry a couple of 2KG gas bottles in.

Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:29 pm

Hawkie, Welcome. And make sure you stop by Warrnambool on your next adventure. I'll drop down for a cuppa.

Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Post Hello
Welcome Hawkie

And good luck and happy travels with the Chesney !

Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2