View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 loading a van 

Post Re: loading a van
Hi all,
This is very interesting, we have a 17'6" Paramount pop top, that has never been weighed, at least since we've had it....but we have also been past quite a few transport inspection stations that have had scalies on them checking trucks etc, and never been pulled up. So as soon as I can I will contact the Queensland Transport Dept and ask the question if they ever pull vans up to weigh them.
I'll let you know when I have an answer.
Regards,
Steve and Karen.

Steve and Karen
aka Banana Wind
Van Name "It's 5 O'clock Somewhere"

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:40 pm

Post Re: loading a van
robiyns wrote:
HI everyone thanks for your answers, the only reason I am panicking is that when we were looking for a van every caravan sales yard we went to was adament about not going over 300kg for single axle and 400kg for dual axle.The tare weight is 1213kg the atm is 1513kg.We want to freecamp so therefore have to carry water, once we put in 130kg of water 30kg battery, loo water 10kg, gas 18kgs, that doesnt leave much for food, clothes,dishes, linen,etc.We have a shower and toilet in our van, thats why we have to carry so much water.They also told us to put it over a weigh bridge loaded and put the certificate in the glove box when we are travelling. Thats a good question about anyone being pulled up. We were also told that if we are involved in an accident, then they weigh the van and car and if the van is over then the insurance companies will not pay out. I think I may have opened a can of worms here. Take care everyone. robiyns 8-)

G`day,
A possible answer to your predicament is to have higher load rated axles fitted to your van and then have a higher ATM certified by an engineer. The ATM is generally determined by the axle rating.
Cheers,
Wilyum.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2