Just joined

New to the C&M forum? Post here to introduce yourself to the gang!
Katangga
I’m new, be nice!

Just joined

Post by Katangga » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:19 pm

G’day everyone
We just got back a week ago from the sunshine coast & had an excellent holiday . But the start was a little shaky with the tail end of cyclone Omar .
We agreed that it’s time for an upgrade from the Jayco penguin to a poptop or full van
The penguin got snapped up fast – maybe I should have asked for more lol .
So now I’m looking for a caravan that is :- single axle , not low profile ( need clearance for driveway ) , island bed , around 16feet & most importantly is the budget of 15k . Oh & because we are no longer cool our seventeen year old’s choose to stay at home .
So far there’s been a lot of frogs but I’m looking at a jayco freedom tomorrow .
I’ve got a Mitsubishi Pajero Sports so I can tow just about anything .
Looking forward to chatting with you all & thanks for letting me join .

Lance
Rising star

Re: Just joined

Post by Lance » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:24 pm

Gooday mate, good to have you with us.
A bit of a step up will change your travel ideas quite a bit I think.
The basics you’ve given on your want list should open up a heap of options in make/model.
It sounds as though you have a bit of a strategy in place for selection but obviously don’t let emotion tie you to a particular van. The market is wide open, enjoy the chase. ;-)
Lance & Anne
……always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

Katangga
I’m new, be nice!

Post by Katangga » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:51 pm

Thanks
One thing I should have mentioned is that I looked at an American import a trail lite by r-vision . I couldn’t find any information about them in Australia only in the states . So I called two insurance companies & asked them but they both said that they wouldn’t insure it . Apparently it’s called a grey important meaning that it was personal imported – if the manufacturer had done it then it’s okay .
We have that one a wide berth .
I hope that may help anyone looking at unfamiliar makes as it would be extremely upsetting finding out after buying one .

rredbeak
Major contributor

Post by rredbeak » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:54 am

Hi Katangga,
WELCOME to the Family and of course the greatest forum out there..Rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

Archer63
An old hand

Post by Archer63 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:35 am

Welcome K !
We currently have a swan OB and will also be looking to upgrade to a single axel van with en-suite at some stage. And like you, we don’t have any worries about selling when the time comes as these things are snapped up very quickly.
We are leaning towards something like the Nova Bravo, Snowy River SR-17 or New Age Manta Ray.
Van height is also a consideration as we don’t want to be restricted to going potentially off road anywhere, although definitely not anything extreme, and we also have a driveway that does not have good clearance where it meets the road….as various gouges in the bitumen confirm from when we had a boat !
Be interested in seeing what you end up with and why.
Cheers
Rob
2018 Pajero Exceed
2013 Jayco Swan Outback

Jeffie
An old hand

Post by Jeffie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:51 pm

Katanga,
Do yourself a favour and try to get something with a shower/toilet.
Makes life much more interesting when you can do the odd free/bush camp.
Friend of ours had a Jayco, about 16ft, which had a shower/toilet so they are out there somewhere.
Good hunting.

Jeff.
Jeff & Heather
Isuzu MU-X LST
Coronet Grand Prince.

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:11 pm

Hi and welcome Katangga .
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Katangga
I’m new, be nice!

Post by Katangga » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:37 am

Hi everyone
Just an update on van :- we ended up getting a 2000 Jayco freedom 15 & a half foot poptop . It has been lifted ( axel under springs ) but has single beds , no AC ( but I’ve got a portable ) & side kitchen .
So after searching far & wide the neighbour put me onto one a stone’s throw away .
Going for a blue slip this afternoon as the van hasn’t been registered since 2012 . Just got new tyres & repacked the bearings . Only other fix is a globe in the rangehood & a reading lamp . Water tank has never been used or the cooktop but I’ll get a new drinking water hose . Still has the plastic over the carpet & the van has had very little use . Also it’ll come in well under anything else I’ve looked at ?

Return to “FIRST STOP!…. Say G’Day … introduce yourself”