New to this site, looking for advice

New to the C&M forum? Post here to introduce yourself to the gang!
Nellie63
I’m new, be nice!

New to this site, looking for advice

Post by Nellie63 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:09 pm

Hi all
Just a bit about us,born and bred in New South Wales, have lived in Queensland. Visited Tasmania, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia and Northern Territory. Planning to do a lot more touring around as time and money permit. We now have got the caravan we love. Have been through two other vans before I found “the one” so have now got it customised to what we wanted.
Only had the van for a week when driving home it got hit with a large branch which has dented the front of our van, sooo disappointing after waiting for 10 months to get it.
As we are planning on doing gravel roads I am looking for a caravan bra (padded) can anyone help me out. Once our van is repaired I would love to be able to keep it dent free for a while. Lol :D

Nellie63
Silver Valley Barossa

Lance
Rising star

Re: New to this site, looking for advice

Post by Lance » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:46 pm

Gooday Nellie, welcome to CandM 8-)
Bit of a shame about damage so early in the vans life, hope it’s a simple repair for you.
Regarding the van bra, any of your local Auto upholsterers should be able to make one up for you.
Personally I’m not keen on the idea as it can lead to scuffing on the panels and may allow some water ingress if not fitted properly.
Nothing wrong showing off a few stone dents and chips, they will all have a story attached ;-)

Good to have ya here, now hang about for the thoughts of others :)
Lance & Anne
……always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

jessdogster
Cracked the big time

Post by jessdogster » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:57 am

G’day Nellie
If you are looking at protection for the front of your van, consider one of these
https://stonestomper.com.au/
Likely to be cheaper than a front bra and without the issues of moisture, dirt etc.etc.
This will also stop stones bouncing off the front of the van and smashing your rear window – potentially, this could still occur with a bra.
I’ve got one and rate the product very highly – future van/s will be fitted with same.

cheers
Jdog

Disclaimer – No product affiliation just a happy customer and posted in the interest of assisting others

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:39 am

Hi Nellie,
Welcome to the forum, it must have been very disappointing to have the van only a week and have it hit with a branch.

I would check out canvas/vinyl sowing workshops. My son had a very nice front cover made for his van at a place in Newcastle that did canvas work. His front cover can swing up and with two tent poles it gives a nice shaded area over the draw bar which is handy to hang clothes to dry in the rain plus leave other things that may need protected by the sun or rain.

JR
:razz:

rredbeak
Major contributor

Post by rredbeak » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:16 am

Hi Nellie,
Welcome to our family n the Forum.. Cheers Rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi Nellie63, :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Cyclone
Rising star

Post by Cyclone » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:10 pm

Welcom aboard Nellie63

If you put a bra on the front of the van don’t leave it on all the time. It can hold moisture against the van. I have just spent $5000.00 repairing dry rot in a van that is only 4 years old.
The padded vinyl on the front of my van let moisture in.
Sid
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

TheHeaths
Confident

Post by TheHeaths » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:50 pm

Nellie63,

if you are based in SA, you could call and talk to Adelaide Annex, who have 2 sites at Edwardstown and Thebarton.

We had a front stone cover made a few years ago for our van. It is 3 layers, with canvas outer, foam type middle layer, and smooth vinyl backing.

035.jpg
It cost about $500, looks good, has openings for front boot and window, stops water entry into boot and protects the van. Attaches to front with a sail track across the top, and tonneau loops around the side and bottom. We take it off between major trips.

Good luck whatever you do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

Ian

Chaos, mayhem and confusion. Good, my job here is done!

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:04 pm

That looks good value at $500 Ian.
The track screws and all the tie points are well sealed ??

Removing it between trips :?:
Great move :D
Lance & Anne
……always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

Nellie63
I’m new, be nice!

Post by Nellie63 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Thank you to everyone who welcomed me and also replied to my query. I am based near Newcastle NSW and I have found someone who does them, he just calls them stone covers and are just like Ian described with tonneau Loops and sail track. We are only going to use it when travelling, we have a custom storm cover for storage as we have used them on our other vans.
Nellie63

Return to “FIRST STOP!…. Say G’Day … introduce yourself”