G'day

New to the C&M forum? Post here to introduce yourself to the gang!
MeBigDave

G'day

Post by MeBigDave » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:07 pm

My name is Dave and I want to build a 7+ Meter caravan from scratch.
Why? - Because I want a minimum of a full Queen size bed and a shower that I don't feel like a sardine when in it. I'm 6'4" and don't want to hit my head. I want to retire early and travel so need it to last 30 years.

Been reading the posts in the forum and see some good information.

Fingal

Re: G'day

Post by Fingal » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:41 pm

Welcome Dave! Good luck with your project, it will be one of few vans on which you can have faults addressed.

rredbeak

Post by rredbeak » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi MeBigDave,
welcome to our Family and our forum.
lot of ppl here build their own now. enjoy n the best of luck..rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

Ancient Mariner

Post by Ancient Mariner » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:22 pm

Welcome MeBigDave
Lots of great info to be had on this forum, vast experience guaranteed
Graham

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi Dave and welcome,
Big job mate ,many have done it and enjoyed doing it. A few threads are still current on some ongoing work.

I built some thing a lot smaller years ago and found the easiest way was to copy other blokes ideas. I had it for 12 years with many great trips.

All the best with it . :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the forum.

Your reasons for building your own van remind me of why I build my 7.1 meter long van almost 10 years ago now.
Back when I designed my van most vans with showers were an afterthought but many new vans are starting to fit reasonable size showers.

I am only 6’-2” but wanted a long bed and a quality matters. I managed to get a matters made about 6’-4” long but kept the width down to double matters size. Having the matters only double matters width makes for more room to make the thing and gives a bit more cupboard room either side of the bed if you have the bed running down the van from the front and cupboards either side. Naturally if you are a big person then double bed width may not be enough.

The following link is to how I built my van. http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9880

If you have a look around in the DIY section of the forum there is good info from other builders.
Technical & Mechanical » Tech Talk » Building and Renovations » DIY RVs

JR
:razz:

MeBigDave

Post by MeBigDave » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Thanks for all the welcome messages and words of encouragement.

I'm still very much in design mod - The dam brain just never switches off anymore and had to get to sleep at night.

I've been doing a lot of research and guess it's time to start a thread and get some input for the forum members.

Once again many thanks for all the welcomes and words of encouragement.

MeBigDave

Post by MeBigDave » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:07 pm

J.REEVES wrote:Hi Dave,
Welcome to the forum.

Your reasons for building your own van remind me of why I build my 7.1 meter long van almost 10 years ago now.
Back when I designed my van most vans with showers were an afterthought but many new vans are starting to fit reasonable size showers.

I am only 6’-2” but wanted a long bed and a quality matters. I managed to get a matters made about 6’-4” long but kept the width down to double matters size. Having the matters only double matters width makes for more room to make the thing and gives a bit more cupboard room either side of the bed if you have the bed running down the van from the front and cupboards either side. Naturally if you are a big person then double bed width may not be enough.

The following link is to how I built my van. http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9880

If you have a look around in the DIY section of the forum there is good info from other builders.
Technical & Mechanical » Tech Talk » Building and Renovations » DIY RVs

JR
:razz:
I've read your whole thread on your build and really enjoyed all the information you shared.

I'm looking at a very similar design/layout but will have a very different look to yours as I'm looking to used ThermoPanel EPS for the panels and not use any internal framing at all... I'll start a thread in the next few days and start putting my ideas out there.

Return to “FIRST STOP!.... Say G'Day ... introduce yourself”