tyre age..this may help some who dont already know

The Place to chat and share general ideas
rredbeak
Major contributor

tyre age..this may help some who dont already know

Post by rredbeak » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:55 am

ever wondered how old your tyres actually when you bought them... Were they made this week LOL.. very good way of checking ..
53008422_2275353375860707_4460926455815077888_n.jpg

This was on my facebook this morning n its Australian ]if theyre different elsewhere] Hope that eases the wonder.. Rod
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

Lance
Rising star

Re: tyre age..this may help some who dont already know

Post by Lance » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:37 am

On the likes of trailers and RVs, tyre age is much more important that the amount of tyre wear when considering replacement.
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:36 pm

What gets me though about 10 years ago the rule of thumb was to change your Tues at 8 to 10 years then it was 5 to 7 now people are saying change at 5
Is this a way for tyre manufacturers to make more money?

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:58 pm

.............or is it an indication that the more modern tyres may not be of good quality...........

.....nah............ :rolleyes:
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:55 pm

Frank & Brenda wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:36 pm
What gets me though about 10 years ago the rule of thumb was to change your Tues at 8 to 10 years then it was 5 to 7 now people are saying change at 5
I think it is largely driven by social media.

Last yr my van tyres reached the 5 yrs old mark and as a precaution I fitted a TPMS so I will continue to use the tyres.
I should have fitted one earlier but tyre age prompted me to buy one.

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:05 pm

Frank & Brenda wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:36 pm
I reckon a bit of both Frank. Safety as a reason to belt us across the wallet..... And not really important when the are selling one year old tyres.

You may remember I posted an video of an accident , I had a few month ago.

Any way the front tyre had to be replaced as it had a cut. I told the repairer I was going to replace the tyres any way as they were 8 years old. He said ok but this one is going to cost you nix so you will only have to buy 4. Ok do it I said. But here is the problem . My tyres were Pro-comp. The dealer fitted a new pro-comp to match pro-comps already on.
But that new tyre was a year old when I checked it. Too bad they said... I had pro-comps and they matched it. "What can we do?"

Ok I got the tyre dealers address and went for a talk, they didn't know me, and I put it to them that the talk is to change tyres these days at five to six years old. "Oh yes we agree with that." So I continued, "Well if you sell me a tyre that is a year old then, would I get a 20% discount off that tyre? One fifth of its life is effectively used isn't it?"

The answer.... "Well you know, ( verry paternally") there is no law in Australia to say that, and it is all to do with how the tyre is stored. Direct from the wholesaler it is ok." So the law and Gods righteousness is with them both ways. :lol:
When I came to the point of what happened and how they didled me with a year old tyre I was buggered as well. They couldn't take it back and supply say 5 different tyres as I had run it on the road to bring it back. The manufacture would not now take it back. Also They do not have current Pro-coms in stock. They are all a year old.

In conclusion I bought 4 Beaurepare tyres and consider that the spare is a freeby. It is the same exactly in size, so not too bad. But I didn't buy it through that tyre power dealer and the new tyres came in a container two months old. :)

By the way, according to my info a tyre ages from the minute it is made....from the inside out. It is curing straight away and the sunlight or covering is not stopping its ageing.
(if you think its rude that I don't supply the Page, its cos I can’t find it)
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

rredbeak
Major contributor

Post by rredbeak » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:28 pm

Our van has done many trips Its STILL has 2008 original tyres n spare never has been used.. BUT its a age thing not current condition...Obviously the longevity of the tryes we have would [youd think] warrant going same sixe , b.. Theyre Wranglers offroad though they've never been off road..

but I have a soft spot for BF Goodrich we had on our 4WD years earlier.. Theyre same size / weight carrying as wrangler ...

before we leave again for selkf assurance we'll replace all 3. [single axel van] Rod

BUT I D/L this for MY needs too. id like to get freshest ones out there instead of buying 5 year olds LOL, half tyre life age gone before theyre even fitted..
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

rredbeak
Major contributor

Post by rredbeak » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:32 pm

On our Car [falcon wgn loaded] we run yokohama front n back, but the rears are HD still radials but heavier sidewalls..

BEFORE them we had flat tyres [out there] so much I just plug them while still on car.. BUT they were puncturing on TOP sidewall next to tread.. Tyre guy get Heavier sidewalls. INSTANTLY flats disappeared...It MIGHT be beacause theyre yokohamas.or just plain heavy sidewalls.. ONLY on rear.front never went flat so far.. Rod
Image Image Image Image

Return to “General Chat”