friends how to make them

The Place to chat and share general ideas
dieseltojo
Major contributor

Re: friends how to make them

Post by dieseltojo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:16 pm

I read an interesting way a grand mother got her grand daughter to reply.

The girl was in college and grandma wrote and sent money with no reply. So next time grandma wrote she added "I enclose $20-00 as I am sure you can use it"......But didn't put the $20-00 into the envelope.

Lo and behold a week late a nice letter came from said grand daughter, all the questions were answered, how are things, do you like it there, do you go out and have fun etc.....And at the very end was...."Oh by the way grandma thanks so much for the letter but I think you may have forgotten to put in the $20-00 as it was not in the letter."
Grandma smiles..... :)
No joke as I read it as a true story many years ago in readers digest.

Shonky, I am not making light of your question From your posts you seem a shy person and that in itself is hard to overcome. Even writing here is a good effort for you. We are an easy going bunch in most ways.
To be honest though an answer to you is as varied as the circumstances of you own experiences. My first thought is join a club that shares your interest and it will be a good step to meet folk. My son was very quiet as a lad and found his way into a chess club, though filled with older people, he was well liked, until he got a bit too good and started beating them..... :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

jock
Rising star

Post by jock » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:09 am

Yeah Shonky....I'm with DT....sounds like you may be a bit of a loner..maybe not by design...But, definitely, join a club - preferably one that allows both genders. Most clubs, these days are actively seeking new members and I'm sure you'd be welcome with open arms.

There are a few clubs that have interests that may be similar to yours...e.g. Whilst travelling around, we picked up strange rocks and opal bits and pieces kept them in a bucket for years and, eventually, I joined the local Lapidary club... fantastic group;;male & female members and all sharing the same interests and information re great camping and fossicking spots and you should see the results of our collecting.

Lawn Bowls clubs are no longer restricted to "oldies" and are all fantastic to meet new people and share lots of fun..they always have events going on involving mixed genders with lots of opportunities to participate or just relax playing a lovely competitive game...both on a social level as well as serious competitive. You dont have to be skilled.

I'm sure if you googled "How to write a letter' you'll find help.

Jock :)

Smokey
I'm new, be nice!

Post by Smokey » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:03 pm

Hi Shonky

Just wanted to mention that you can be as friendly as possible but many people don't desire more friends.

My wife and I come under that category. I'm friendly on the forums but when we go caravanning we are loners and like to be left alone. We are friendly when people walk past and want to talk about our vintage car or our homemade van- that is understandable and we accommodate but we dont feel comfortable with small talk beyond about 30 minutes. Sorry, just being honest.
So what hope would you have striking up a friendship with me?. So the suggestions above are appropriate - look at clubs, mens shed, hobbies etc but dont take it personally if people arent receptive. There are a lot of people out there with social anxiety and other barriers

Smokey

Return to “General Chat”