The Importance of Regular Check-ups

nsgnomad

The Importance of Regular Check-ups

Post by nsgnomad » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:47 am

For many of us, while we are feeling well, we don't think about going to see our GP. However, that probably means that for those who are healthy, we may not visit the doc for years, or if we do it is only for something minor like flu. This means that a general check-up is something that may not happen for quite a long time.
Before I finished working, I used to have a medical every 2 years. It was a requirement of the job. For the next 11 years, my only visits to see my GP were for specific ailments. It wasn't until my sister was surprised by a diagnosis of a terminal condition, that I realised I hadn't had a general check-up for many years. And In my case, although I had been feeling fine, with no symptoms at all, I discovered I had a PSA of 32 (and no I didn't miss out on the decimal point) :o Further tests and a radical prostatectomy followed. That was 4 years ago, and so far so good.
The point I am making though, is that without general check-ups, any of us could be caught out by a condition developing without us knowing, and that condition might reach the point that a successful recovery may not be possible. This is not restricted to issues of the prostate, but lots of other things too, which is why I started a separate thread.
So guys, don't put it off, be pro- active and have a check up regularly, even if you feel you don't need it.

Murray & Anita

Re: The Importance of Regular Check-ups

Post by Murray & Anita » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:49 am

I agree with getting an annual check-up, but guys - be warned!!

All the publicity about prostates is for us to have an annual check-up, and we all are aware that there are 365 days in the year. Medicare require the PSA check-up to be at least 365 days apart or else YOU PAY!
I've been having my annual in December now for the last few years. 2015 was on the 17th December and last year was on 12 December. As 2016 was a leap year, my test was 4 days early. Laverty billed me saying Medicare rejected the claim for the above reasons and suggested I contact Medicare. Medicare had no record of the claim and suggested I contact the Health Care Commissioner. The Health Care Commissioner said the problem was outside his brief and to contact the Minister of Health - still awaiting a response.
[font=Georgia][i]Murray & Anita[/i][/font]

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:46 am

Well, I get an annual check up but my GP was asleep at the wheel.

Went to see him for my annual check up but they reconed that I didn't have an appointment.

after some argy bargy they managed to fit me in.

Blood pressure 169. Ohh he said, can't let you out of here with that, until we get it down.

Let's have a look at what it was last year. 160, opps that was a bit of an oversight.

He actually typed that into the computer last year and no light bulb went off.

Any how, I saw the good doctor's funeral notice, so am going to see a female doctor from now on.

Read recently that those who see a female doctor, tend to live longer. :)

Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:28 am

masterplumber wrote:Blood pressure 169. Ohh he said, can't let you out of here with that, until we get it down.
Good grief :shock:

I worry that mine is too low and heart rate too slow. Often when sitting about my systolic is barely above 100 and pulse rate high fifties to low sixties.

I have an Omron BP checker and use it every so often and......... yeah...... you guessed it..... punch the numbers into a spreadsheet :roll:
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:55 am

Murray & Anita wrote:I agree with getting an annual check-up, but guys - be warned!!

All the publicity about prostates is for us to have an annual check-up, and we all are aware that there are 365 days in the year. Medicare require the PSA check-up to be at least 365 days apart or else YOU PAY!
I've been having my annual in December now for the last few years. 2015 was on the 17th December and last year was on 12 December. As 2016 was a leap year, my test was 4 days early. Laverty billed me saying Medicare rejected the claim for the above reasons and suggested I contact Medicare. Medicare had no record of the claim and suggested I contact the Health Care Commissioner. The Health Care Commissioner said the problem was outside his brief and to contact the Minister of Health - still awaiting a response.
I have had four this year. My doctors told me Medicare will only pay for one. But I haven't paid for any to date.
Sid
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

nsgnomad

Post by nsgnomad » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:26 am

Cyclone wrote:
Murray & Anita wrote:I agree with getting an annual check-up, but guys - be warned!!

I have had four this year. My doctors told me Medicare will only pay for one. But I haven't paid for any to date.
Sid
If you are on a PC watch regime, then you will not have to pay if you have more than 1 per year.

nsgnomad

Post by nsgnomad » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:34 am

Old Techo wrote:
masterplumber wrote:Blood pressure 169. Ohh he said, can't let you out of here with that, until we get it down.

I worry that mine is too low and heart rate too slow. Often when sitting about my systolic is barely above 100 and pulse rate high fifties to low sixties.

I have an Omron BP checker and use it every so often and......... yeah...... you guessed it..... punch the numbers into a spreadsheet :roll:
My GP was a little concerned about my BP when it read over 160 and sent me for a stress test. My normal pulse rate is high 50's to low 60's. When I presented for the stress test, of course they monitor the heart rate. Before It started it was 49 and they asked me if I was an athlete. :razz: Not sure why, but the high BP reading was a transient for a few weeks and now not an issue.

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:15 pm

Old Techo wrote:

Pulse rate is fine. 48 at rest.

Go to a Cardiologist every September. Hasn't changed my meds in the 3 years that I have been going to him. BP is generally 140 now, and he is happy with that.
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:30 pm

masterplumber wrote: Pulse rate is fine. 48 at rest.
MP,

When I asked about my pulse rate getting to low 50s at times my GP said that unless a very fit athlete a consistent pulse rate at or below 50 is a heart risk as the heart muscle doesn't get enough blood.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:30 pm

Old Techo wrote:
masterplumber wrote: Pulse rate is fine. 48 at rest.
MP,

When I asked about my pulse rate getting to low 50s at times my GP said that unless a very fit athlete a consistent pulse rate at or below 50 is a heart risk as the heart muscle doesn't get enough blood.
OT, when I first went to the Cardiologist, they connected a 24 Hr Heart Monitor to me, and all seemed fine to the Cardiologist.

Mrs MP normally comes with me, as she doesn't trust me to tell the whole truth.

I am a plumber, not a photographer for Sports Illustrated, so I don't generally jump out of bed and say, "you beauty, another day"

I have worked with asbestos but don't go looking for tests to see if I might have it.

You can't cure it and I know a couple of blokes who have succumb to it. If it happens it happens.

One bloke was related to the Archbishop of the time. One of the better funerals that I have attended.

Personally, if I had to choose between a heart attack or stroke, I would choose a hear attack.

That way you either live or die.

The couple of people that I know who had a stroke, became severely restricted in what they could do. :(

Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Return to “Men's Health”