rooftop or tripod

No longer serviced by Brisbane Satellites but retained for reference and still open to members
chrisy

rooftop or tripod

Post by chrisy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:30 am

Can anybody advise us on which set-up is the better?

J.REEVES

Re: rooftop or tripod

Post by J.REEVES » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:00 am

Hi Chisy,
Welcome to the forum (2009) or I should say good to see your first post!

Now you have really got me thinking roof top or tripod. What!

If you are talking about a sat dish if money is no object then I like the roof top but remember no camping under trees.

If you are talking about solar panels again I like roof top but remember no camping under trees so for solar would be worth having one on the roof and a portable one.

JR
:razz:

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:08 am

J.REEVES wrote:Now you have really got me thinking roof top or tripod. What!
I thought exactly the same JR.... then I spotted it was in the Satellite TV thread ;-)

I didn't bother to post a reply coz not really my patch and I figured you would soon be along 8-)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

TeddyGQ
Location: Shepparton, VIC 2004 7.3 litre F250 Supercab Ute. Supreme Elite 23'6

Post by TeddyGQ » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:09 pm

How deep are your pockets? We have the Tripod, supplied by Albany TV in Albany (highly recommended). Cost around $650 for everything but the TV.
Roof top are also good for, I think, over $4,000.00 so it depends on your pocket.
Albany TV provided the dish, 85cm, cable from dish to van, long enough to place dish either end of the van + a bit over, the set top box and the satellite finder.
There are some who advertise for $199 that have a poor quality dish, normally smaller than the 85cm. cable to the van and a cover. You then need to purchase the set top box and the sat finder which is where they really cash in. Be wary of them. They are in W.A. but will send nationally.
Others will give you good reputable dealers in the Eastern states.
Registration is free but you need to reregister every 6 months. Make sure you tell them when you register first that you are transient. If you are going to head off to an area where you will need the Satellite system, get online and reregister before you go. Only takes a couple of minutes.
Enjoy it out there.

Bluecruiser

Post by Bluecruiser » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:02 am

As said above, $$$$ may influence your decision.

Rooftop for; Totally automatic setup (2 minutes), don't have to carry anything, stows in less than a minute when you want to move off.
Rooftop against; Cost, no reception if a large tree is directly to the North or over your site.

Tripod for; cheaper than rooftop, manual setup, a good system, can relocate if reception poor.
Tripod against; setup time especially if it's raining, need to carry dish and tripod during travel, cables across the ground.

We have the Oyster auto rooftop and love it.

Colin.

rredbeak

Post by rredbeak » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:28 am

weve got a tripod so we can park the van whereever it suits n still got 50m cable to dish.no trees etc...
hope this opinion will help you decide...

cheers rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

Y Worry

Post by Y Worry » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:33 pm

I had a portable satelite system that I purchased online from WA. It was great for the years that I had it. We've travelled all over from Darwin to Perth and Tasmania and the Centre and did not find anywhere the system did not work except where there were trees in the way. They are really hard to use down the south of WA as the line of site to the satelite is so low to the horizon that a tree 200mtrs away can be a problem.
I just sold my portable system to a mate, and have purchased a Vansat auto 85cm dish which I mounted on the roof of the van. Wow,it's quick to find the satelite. By the time I get the TV off the bed and hook up the HDMI lead and power lead, it has found the satelite and I'm watching TV. Like someone said before, if it's raining outside there's no need to worry, just hit the remote button to turn it on. No going outside. Worth the money if you watch a lot of TV like we do because we travel by ourselves a lot. If you tend to travel with others you don't tend to watch a lot of TV but rather play cards or just chat.

Chief Jacktar

Post by Chief Jacktar » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:24 am

If you sell the van and you have the tripod you take it with you to the next van or just sell the tripod setup as well, but if you have the roof mount and sell the van it's good by roof mount and what it cost you + the fitting costs.

Bill

Azhure

Post by Azhure » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:10 am

We bought a tripod system. After a couple of trips of lugging it around with it taking up most of the rear seat, and then my husband having swearing sessions when it wouldn't work which seemed to be fairly regularly, on our last trip I told my husband it wasn't coming with us.

He is now talking about possibly getting a rooftop system (mainly for his footy) which is ok by me. That way at least it will be push a button and it either works or it doesn't. No trying a dozen different spots and fiddling around with leads.

Return to “Satellite TV”