View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Heading for Darwin 

Post Heading for Darwin
Hi all, planning (a bit late!) a trip to Darwin (Leaving Ballarat June 4th and back end of July) and wondering if we need to book ahead? I have heard parks in Darwin are busy and some very close to the airport and planes coming & going all hours. There are other parks out of town. Any recommendations would be helpful.
Also, any 'must dos' between Alice and Darwin.
We have been to Uluru and Kings Canyon before, but loved them both so much we will be going back on the way up or down.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Post Re: Heading for Darwin
We were in Darwin in May 2013 and at that time the park we stayed at, the Oasis Tourist Park was fully booked from late May till the end of August, though of course cancellations happen so spaces do come up. My understanding is all the Darwin parks are similarly booked through the dry season, so I would suggest you book. It also depends on how long you want to stay there for, for a short visit you may get in with a cancellation if you ring a few days ahead, depends of course on how flexible you are.

We were happy with the Oasis Tourist park, it was far enough from the highway for noise to not be an issue and the managers were very friendly and helpful when we had an issue with the van and needed to get it fixed on site. The amenities were fairly old but very clean and the park was well maintained.

Between Alice and Darwin there is lots to see. The Devils Marbles, Mataranka and the Bitter Springs there, Katherine and Katherine Gorge and Edith Falls are all well worth stopping at. Kakadu of course, and our favourite place was Litchfield National Park where we spent 4 days and could happily have spent longer.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:08 pm
Profile WWW

Hi Roger

If you are touring like most of us do and don't want to have set dates, phoning a day or two ahead should find you a place. With the airport right in the middle of Darwin, most parks are close to it. Even Lee Point CP may still be under flight paths. There is always the option of the CPs at Howard Springs.

We took our time touring north from Alice Springs, including Kakadu, and touring Litchfield and other sights on the return south before heading towards Queensland. You are welcome to read my Travelogues of what we saw and did; I can PM links if you so request.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:36 pm
Profile WWW

Yes Roger...By the time you get there, it will be all booked up...June July August is their busiest time. Suggest you check out Badger's Caravan Park reports.

Jock :neutral:

Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:06 am

Hello Roger, we were in Darwin June of last year & we had a booking some six months before we left. Even that far out we found it somewhat difficult to secure a spot..I strongly suggest that you book ahead, & as has already been stated check Badgers site for park info

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:18 pm

:lol: We have stayed in Darwin several times and twice at Howard Springs a great park about 30km out of town but not an issue getting into would suggest you book for any park that time of year.If you do book Howard Springs ask for a plot at the rear of the camp, more room,
Hope this helps
Bill

Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]