View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Tennant Creek 

Post Tennant Creek
Hi All

We are currently in Mount Isa and are planning to go out through Tennant Creek then down through the centre.
We have had varying reports in relation to Tennant Creek, can anybody give me their current thoughts on Tennant Creek

Regards
Les A

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:13 pm

Post Re: Tennant Creek
Les, without commenting on TC I see some options. Barkly Homestead before TC and Wycliffe Well, a handy day trip distance from the Alice.

Never been to Barkly but loved Wycliffe and the resident aliens :mrgreen:

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:22 pm

Les,
Never a problem in Tennant Creek and have been there a number of times; some racists have a problem because it is considered a "blackfella" town.
All facilities are available including Post Office, hotels (arrive with a full compliment of booze) and caravan parks. The best van park is in Peko road rather than the one on the main road. The United fuel outlet gives a seniors discount of 3 cents per litre. There are a few attractions in town; check it out.
glanyard

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:55 pm

We stayed at the Outback Caravan Park in Tennant Creek in April and its quite a nice park. The town itself I don’t find too appealing, but its ok as a place to stop overnight and buy a few groceries if needed. We haven’t had any problems there.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:24 pm
Profile WWW

Hi Les

We heard a lot of negativity about TC. We stayed at the Outback CP up the side street for 3 nights, it’s a great CP. TC’s population is 85% Aboriginal and we did not have a problem with one of them.

There is a lot to see at TC ie; mines, telegraph station aboriginal exhibition in town and the Outback CP has a great night out (ask the receptionist).

You are right Glanyard, If you were to ignore all of the places that people discourage due to their racist slurs, you would see nothing :!:

Tell us your opinion when you have had a look.

2007 Pajero DID

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:52 pm

My comments on Badger’s site relate to our stay last June

Very friendly staff, no complaints, staff offered tourist advice, staff explained park layout and facilities. Reasonable value for money ($33 2A per night, powered, off-peak season). Amenity number was adequate to cope with the number of people, are close to all sites, were clean, condition is good, water pressure is good, there was adequate hot water, soap provided, dry change area. Adequate number of tourist sites, all level sites, poor night lighting, sites will accommodate large motorhomes or 5th wheelers, no sites have annex slabs, drive-through sites, adequate taps close by, adequate sullage close by. Good laundry, good camp kitchen, kiosk, car wash, dump point, you can use your mobile wireless (carrier used was Telstra, reception quality was 4). Peaceful, open and roomy, plenty of shade, a few permanents. Clean UC gas bbq (free), congenial bbq area atmosphere, bbq area lighting, seating provided at bbq. Clean pool, tables and chairs provided, well maintained park.
Likes: Close to town without the associated noise, small bar for happy hour saves a trip to town. Most are drive through sites. Booked for 2 nights and stayed for 4.
Dislikes: Being in a remote area you expect to pay more for some items but I baulked at 1 litre milk for $3.80 – cheaper in town and unleaded and diesel at the park were $1.90 litre and in town $1.75 litre.
Parking: Room to park outside office or spill over into the street.
Added Touches: $5.00 per person to see Little Jimmy, the aboriginal who shows some bush tucker/medicinal plants and you get to try damper, witchetty grubs or road kill (kangaroo tail) depending on the night.
Local Information: The Pebbles, Bill Allen Lookout, Battery Hill Mine and Tourist Information Centre. Lake Mary Ann does not allow dogs in the Lake precinct.
Date 06/2012. Park Rating 3.5:

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks Folks for the positive comments on TC, and Old Techo for the additional must sees, we will spend some time in TC.
Regards
Les A

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:23 pm

Les, just for clarification… I didn’t comment on TC as I have no personal overnight experience. We stopped there for lunch on the way back from Kakadu to Melbourne. We overnighted at Elliot so that made Wycliffe the next natural waterhole. As I mentioned here a few weeks ago we are going to Birdsville from Melbourne. We didn’t know where to go after that, perhaps northeast. We decided a few days ago to go to the Isa and then Alice via TC. We may well overnight at TC.

We have been through and stayed at many ‘blackfella’ towns as Glannie put it. Never ever had any issues. There are some issues in some towns according to media reports. The Alice seems to have some recently.

We were in the Alice a decade ago, before having a caravan, or even a car in this case. We stayed in some tour guide accommodation, across the Todd river from the town. Short of grog we walked into town along the main road, across the bridge, over a couple of kays, to buy some grog. I was carrying a slab and said to my wife and our mate, this is heavy let’s take the shortcut back through the Todd. So the 4 of us carrying grog meandered our way across the soft sand of the Todd, moving passed the many ‘blackfella’ camps without any concern by them or us. The only reservation I had was that we’d trespassed on their accepted turf. Didn’t occur to me till we got back to our motel. There was no bone-pointing at us ‘invading whities’ 8-)

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:08 am

Hi
We have lived in TC for the past 2 years and found it a wonderful place, no complaints with the local aboriginals, you treat them with a bit of respect you get it returned.

We had a trip on the grey hound bus and returned to TC at 3 am and walk home (about 1 km), we passed several locals who all were polite. Some asked for a smoke or a light and when we replied we don’t smoke they said "ok, have a good night".

People did warn us about coming out here but we wanted to see for ourselves and highly recommend coming out here to have a look, you will be surprised.

All in all we found the locals here in TC far more polite than those in Alice Springs.

Rick & Sue

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:49 pm

Old topic but I thought I’d throw my 2c in for anyone doing some research….

Tennant Creek is handy for getting a bit of fuel, maybe some groceries/post office/banking.

Wauchope is the place to stay, but don’t tell too many people!

It’s embarrassing to admit that they know me by name in there… as well as a few other road houses along that road

Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]