Heartbreak or Borroloola?

For all RV travel & touring information on Northern Territory
J.REEVES
Rising star

Re: Heartbreak or Borroloola?

Post by J.REEVES » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:12 am

I have only ever taken one tyre spare for the van and one for the vehicle. Years ago had the van stud pattern fitted to take the vehicle tyre stud pattern if required and the van fit the vehicle. Now with 18” wheels on the vehicle and a massive off set the van 16”wheels will not fit the vehicle front as the brakes are too big and they will not fit inside 16”rims.

I need to carry special Toyota wheel nuts if we need to fit a Toyota tyre on the van as they are not your standard wheel nut. I remember paying something like $18.00 a nut and then ran a 9/16” UNF tap through them to fit my 9/16”van studs. It was not nice running a tap through $18.00 nuts. It took about three threads before the thread would cross the Toyota 14mm thread. Naturally this is only a temporary measure until we get the normal tyre fixed.

With a spare tyre tube and those Kevlar tyre plugs I have never needed a second spare.
I use a tyre pressure transmitter monitor now and find it very good that gives me time to stop before there is nothing left of the tyre and rim.

JR
:razz:

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:08 pm

After this teeth-rattling run I wondered how my Prado tow-bar bolts were. I do check them regularly and usually one or more of the six need nipping up.

Today I found three still tight, two needed a 1/8 turn and one a 1/4 turn.

I think I mentioned earlier that no wheel nut had any slack.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:57 am

Not the time to be there now and most locals have left to escape Trevor... https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-21/ ... r/10923990
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:01 am

Looks like it might get a bit nasty up there over the next day or so.
Some 400 have remained on Groote Eylandt, not sure I'd want to do that..............
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

Return to “Touring NT”