Oodnadatta Track

For all RV travel & touring information on South Australia
Old Techo

Re: Oodnadatta Track

Post by Old Techo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:24 pm

It doesn't seem quite right

We returned from the Oodna Track trip a few days ago. We covered nearly 5,000 kms of which nearly 700 kms was gravel with a number of rough sections. In fact when we left Marree and arrived at Coward Springs, only 130 kms, there was a couple in an Apollo hired smallish motor-home who had also driven from Marree. They were changing their second tyre on that short trip. One was punctured and the other destroyed, all in that 130 kms. Needless to say I became a bit worried as we had another 500 kms to go and carried only 1 spare for the van and 1 for the tug. We had twice as many tyres on the road to be punctured as Mr Apollo. So cutting to the chase we completed the entire trip without any tyre incidents.

Today, the first time out in the Prado since back from Oodna, I was returning from the quack and right at the end of the freeway where 2 lanes were about to become one I heard a loud bang. A few seconds later was the sound of running on a flat tyre. It seemed like a blow-out. Never had one in my life. I pulled up and squeezed over within a few inches of the safety fence and found the right rear flat as a tack. The freeway was busy with workers knocking off and Easter holiday makers heading out. Very cautiously I began to prepare for a wheel change.

Got out the Toyota mechanical jack, assembled the 4 piece jack winding rod, began to remove the spare wheel nuts then...... Mr Plod rocks up and parks behind me with all lights flashing. I approached them explaining the obvious flat and they said they would remain while I changed the wheel. I expressed my thanks and said I was acutely aware of deaths on this freeway in similar circumstances and I was watching traffic like a hawk. So the 2 Plods sat in their car whilst I busted by bum at max pace and all done in less than 10 minutes.

Back home I checked the tyre and found it was not a blow-out. There is a large hole that looks like it has been drilled and with other screwing/twisting damage around it. My best guess is some coarse screw the diameter of a thick pencil was attached to some flat object with the screw pointing up. I've run over it at 100 kph whilst watching traffic and it has punched a hole right through the tyre, become attached to the tyre for part of a revolution and then flung off hitting under the wheel arch with a loud thud sound.

So the message is, don't worry about tyre probs on the Oodna but do be bloody careful visiting the quack :roll:
puncture 1.jpg
puncture 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Today I tackled the punctured tyre with the aid of my trusty wheel holder tool.... never before used.... http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... 64#p161464

I had only tested my wheel holder on a van 14" steel wheel so this was the first time used in anger and also with a big ally 17" wheel off the Prado. The tyre eventually came off OK with plenty of lube and huffing and puffing...
tyre 1.jpg
No wall damage could be seen and the hole inside the tyre was clean so I whacked in a mushroom patch...
tyre 2.jpg
A couple of hours later, job done...
tyre 3.jpg
I will put that wheel back on the rear of the Prado to make sure it runs OK. I don't want to make it the spare now and then find out if I do have a flat that my repaired spare is only good for a few kms :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

jock

Post by jock » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:39 am

G'day O.T.
Interested to hear of your trip. What was your trip route? Did you head across to Marla then down the Stuart? or head S.W back to Coober Pedy. Or even head up to Finke etc. ?
Love to hear more...and road conditions towing a non off-road van.

Cheers,
Jock :?: :?:

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:29 am

G'day Jock,

Our original and only plan was Marree, William Creek then direct to Coober Pedy. Once at William Creek I decided to take a risk and head north to Oodna. All research before the trip indicated this section would be more of a challenge for our caravan and I was prepared to do a 180 if needed. As it transpired the road was not much worse than Marree to William Creek with only short sections of corrugations. Added were a few more dry and one shallow wet creek crossing. These were easily traversed. So to Oodna overall it was better than the Birdsville Track.

When at Oodna we had 3 choices to get to Cobber Pedy. West to Marla on the traditional route, southish direct to Coober or in between those 2 and west to Cadney Park. Mrs OT wanted that more interesting route along the Painted Desert road. I asked the Pink Roadhouse manager, via a staff member, if that road was suitable for a bitumen van. Answer was, he also manages the Cadney Park roadhouse and makes that trip frequently and it was OK for us. WRONG!

So this was a 176 km section and quite good for 60 km until it turned west into the Painted Desert road. It varied a lot from reasonably wide to not much more than one car, quite a few short corrugated sections, a lot of dry creek crossings but one section worried me. It appeared to be driving along a creek-bed filled with loose stones. It felt like driving on sand with more throttle required. It went on for at least half a km and down to less than 2 cars wide in places with bends. Loose stone crowns were a foot high in places and both banks were 2 feet high so if we met a van or truck coming the other way one of us would have to mount the loose stone crowns. It would have been impossible to turn around as the road was narrower than the length of the van alone. I hated the idea of stopping in case it was difficult to go again. A steady speed of 10 kph got us through without issue but I was feeling vulnerable and nervous.

It supposed to be a major road but quite a few places looked more like a narrow private road to a property. Of course after the event it all seemed fine and we could do it again but at the time I got nervous in places not knowing what was around the next corner or over the next hill. I can happily cope with rough roads, holes or possble clearance issues as these can all be managed at a snail's pace but I don't like feeling the road moving under the wheels whilst towing a 2.4 tonne van through deep loose stones and the constant feeling of getting bogged.

On the entire trip from Marree, William Creek, Oodna, Cadney Park, nearly 600 kms, we saw only one vehicle coming towards us although 2 or 3 overtook us. I have never driven so far for so long and not seen a vehicle coming towards us.

I've have always had a plan to do a 180 in narrow conditions with high banks by unhooking the van and pulling it around with my snatch strap i.e lock the van brakes and spin it on the spot but that plan would only be for extreme circumstances :roll:

Our route.... https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Marr ... !3e0?hl=en
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

jock

Post by jock » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:28 am

Great info O.T.....How did you go weather-wise?...I think The temps may have been a bit more bearable than the original February plan. Many Flies??

Jock :?:

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:41 pm

G'day Jock,

I was always mindful of the weather and kept monitoring the 7 day forecast for both Marree and Coober Pedy. We had several hot nights at Rawnsley Park but a change was forecast and this was our cue to leave for Marree. From there days were comfortably warm and some nights cold enough for a heater.

I forgot to say in my previous report that we did a 195 km day trip to Lake Eyre from Marree, via Muloorina. We pronounced it mul-loo-reena but the locals called it muloo-rin-ah. We had coffee at 1115 at the camping ground and the flies were bad there but fly nets fixed that. Temp was 31 degrees - nice. From there the road to Lake Eyre was not too bad at all. Short sections of corrugations but mostly pretty good. That part of the trip took exactly 1 hour to the end of the road. The flies were a bit pesky on the salt lake but not enough to need fly nets.

The dingo fence gate in Muloorina has unfortunately been replaced with a cattle grid fitted with an aural warning when you cross it. Sounds like a truck reversing. There is no signage to indicate it's the famous fence. Very disappointing.

At Coward Springs the temp was 24 at time 2130 but only 14 next morning at 0700. Just a few flies when we arrived but none at all in the morning. The Coward Springs visitor book for 2017 had been opened only 2 days earlier.

Arrived at William Creek 1445 and temp 25. Next day awoke to 13 degrees. No flies at anytime.

Arrived Oodnadatta on April 1st at 1500 and 26 degrees. 13 the next morning.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

jock

Post by jock » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:26 am

Wow! What a trip !!! Brings back all sorts of memories...I've actually got a photo of us standing at that dingo fence crossing taken when we were there a few years ago..Yes, seems strange that there's no sign..probably been souvenired :( .

Must say that you are a lot gamer than me. We've got an offroad (soft) Windsor Rapid but still didn't think it advisable to take it on this type of trip...Here you are doing it in a black tar van..Well done!! We tented that whole trip..Birdsville to Maree then down to Lyndhurst - with the famous big roadside sign..."Welcome to Lyndhurst...population 30 (on most days)" then up the Stzreslecki track to the dig tree etc.
Had our coldest night at Lyndhurst -8 deg c. Couldn't pack up the tent till nearly mid-day ..it was frozen stiff as a board....lit the fire first up to make a cuppa and the water froze as I tried to pour it into the billy.

We've done a few of those desert trips by tent but you've inspired me to take the van next time...We love it out there!!!

Thanks for posting great info.

Jock :)

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:01 am

Jock, here is the dingo fence gate in Aug 2013, looking north...
dingo3.jpg

And in Mar 2017, looking south, just a cattle grid. Note the solar panel to support the sensing and aural warning system...
dingo1.jpg
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

Return to “Touring SA”