travel on spirit of tasmania

For all RV travel & touring information on Tasmania
Queensmanian

Re: travel on spirit of tasmania

Post by Queensmanian » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:00 pm

Old Techo wrote:Hank, just done it… 12.9 metres, deluxe cabin daytime over, porthole cabin return night, no discounts, $1850 Feb/Mar 2011. Be aware they now run tier pricing so as bookings fill price goes up. Just for fun I checked the day before we returned. Not a single vacancy other than sleep in a deck chair.. $195 each. None available but a week earlier an upgrade for us from porthole cabin to deluxe… another $600. What a joke!
Must not talk about the fare “Tier Levels”. They are a secret. If you doubt that, call the 1800 number and ask them. :mrgreen: :evil:

Jay&dee

Post by Jay&dee » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:37 pm

Yes!!! it is expensive on the ferry. We were able to reduce some of our costs by taking advantage of the many free camp spots in Tasmania. But since April this year no doubt anyone who reads the threads on this forum knows, that some of the councils are looking at charging huge fees for ” Free Camping”.
So!!!! one may have to save up a little more to cover that cost.
I have mentioned this before. Once leaving the ferry, especially on the overnight trip, there is a good free camp site on Devonport Road, next to a cement works on the bay.. Or conversely 20 KLMS??? south is a freebee behind the IGA at Latrobe.
A return trip to Tassie, is looking unlikely, especially if they introduce fees on ” Free Camping”.
Mind you it is a great place to be especially in the Queensland summer season.
Jay&Dee
Jay&Dee

hank

Post by hank » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:02 am

I dont know if this has been covered before but my sister and brother in law are thinking of going to Tassie in the new year and I mentioned that it might be time to book a crossing and he replied that he was just going down to the wharf and see if he could get on in place of cancellations and he believed that would be cheaper than booking as the ferry company would be happy to fill the space, anybody have any knowlege of this, and would it be worth the risk of not getting on.

Hank
Hank and Sue
2012 Prado GXL 3L Turbo Diesel
2011 Royal Flair 21ft Designer series

Barry and Pam

Post by Barry and Pam » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:51 am

Only loose gas bottles are taken from you, will be returned at the other end. Fridge has to be turned off.Declare all food. We emptied everything out of the fridge and bought all new at the other end. It was all ok and we made allowances for the extra shopping.

Parking at Melbourne end is a nightmare and they really need to address that. We were lucky it was Melbourne Cup day and parking along the foreshore was ok. Parking in Devonport coming back was brilliant.

If you have Disability Certificate , when booking ask for a cabin closer to the lifts and parking near a lift. We had one and it was terrific for my man. Not too much walking. Our cabin was lovely and quiet and close to the restaurants and lift.

Our trip in Nov. 2010 was smooth and we enjoyed it. Love Tassie and can’t wait to go back again.
Have a great trip.

Pam

bluebus

Post by bluebus » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:31 pm

Hi Hank.

You can not just turn up and get on the spirit its been said before you have to book. :razz:

Karen,Ron and the Girls. :mrgreen:

Just coasting along. :lol: :lol: :lol:

hank

Post by hank » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:28 pm

Thanks Bluebus, I had heard sometime ago that it was possible but obviously there has been changes made.

Hank
Hank and Sue

Aussietraveler

Post by Aussietraveler » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Barry and Pam
were on the spirit web site does it say fridge off i cant find it
thanks Andrew

GeoffC

Post by GeoffC » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi Aussietraveler
The only way you will be able to have your fridge working will via 12v as all gas appliances are required to be turned off along with the gas bottles be sure they will check these along with other things at the gate
Enjoy Tassie
and safe & happy travels
GeoffC

Aussietraveler

Post by Aussietraveler » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:15 pm

o i thought off all together
Andrew

hank

Post by hank » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:47 pm

If you left your 3 way fridge on 12v it would only last for about an hour before it flattened your battery which would then be very awkward when you go to start your vehicle when leaving the vessel. I think it would be safe to turn it off, as no-one will opening it, the fridge should keep its cool. Obviously you would not have it loaded with ice cream etc.

Hank
Hank and Sue

Return to “Touring TAS”