View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 travel on spirit of tasmania 

Post Re: travel on spirit of tasmania
It must have had a huge price increase in the last couple of years, ours is about 13 metres long and when we went over 3 years ago, early in February it cost us $1500 for a porthole cabin return.

Hank

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:03 am

Hank, just done it… 12.9 metres, deluxe cabin daytime over, porthole cabin return night, no discounts, $1850 Feb/Mar 2011. Be aware they now run tier pricing so as bookings fill price goes up. Just for fun I checked the day before we returned. Not a single vacancy other than sleep in a deck chair.. $195 each. None available but a week earlier an upgrade for us from porthole cabin to deluxe… another $600. What a joke!

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:12 am

we will still go but will save up a bit more first ,if not we will do what we have done other times ,take the car over and do travel auction holidays not the same but did work out cheaper

the time we did that we managed to get two travel auction hols plus the cost of going over(with a cabin) a darn lot cheaper than taking the van over for two weeks

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:57 am

My dad recently came back from two weeks in Tassie and he commented on how expensive accommodation is over there (he is not a vanner).

I remember a thread quite some time back where someone had done the numbers and the break even point where it becomes economical to take your van is about the three week mark. So the longer you stay the cheaper the fare!

That is interesting info OT about the price going up as the boat fills up. Our plan is to go in 2013 for about four months or so (our first big trip after retirement) so we will definitely be booking mid way through next year to get the best price for us.

2009 Ford Territory AWD,
2003 Compass Tandem full height
via Kempsey, NSW

Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:05 am

Well the price has gone up a bit, but when I go again I will take my van again. When we were there some time ago a friend was there at the same time in just a car, he stayed in motels and bed and breakfasts and he spent an average of about $150 per night, he was not able to stop and have a cuppa wherever he liked unless he paid for it, dearly, and our overnight costs were in the vicinity of $25 per night.
Sure it cost me a bit more for fuel etc but i had my own bed, which is worth something.

Hank

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:07 am

Hank I think that is the sort of money my dad said it cost him as well, plus lunches and dinners etc. Certainly puts the costs of towing your van into perspective.

While we are talking about the Spirit, I note that most people travel at night. Given that it will cost us in the vicinity of $700 for a cabin each way at today’s prices, what are the advantages of night travel as opposed to travelling by day. I appreciate that one would need accommodation for the first night, but what other factors does one need to factor in when considering day or night sailings?

Thanks.

2009 Ford Territory AWD,
2003 Compass Tandem full height
via Kempsey, NSW

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:36 pm

Day sailing is bugger all cheaper than night sailing and you are trapped on a boat with 10 hours to kill at the mercy of the weather. If you purchase recliner seats on night crossings you can usually upgrade once on board for about $30pp to a cabin providing its not chockers.
Also on day sailings at this time of year you are arriving on dark so its not much fun setting up or finding your way round.

Night crossings.
If you choose inside 2 berth it would cost $198pp return on a red hot deal (when offered) + caravan & tug.
So you get a wakeup call, jump in the tug and set off in daylight to wherever you want.
The red hot deal is only accepting bookings til the 30th April for travel between 3 May and 31 August 2011.

No affiliation with the darned thing, just spent a lot of money on it getting to the mainland each year.

Our blog Distributor and volunteer for Operation Photo Rescue

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:46 pm
Profile WWW

I chose the night crossing because I was concerned that if there was any delay in the crossing I might have trouble getting a caravan park nearby to set up at.
I now believe that is probably not an issue, but I think I would still take the night crossing on our next trip.
I would also take the cabin as I believe the chair option would be a sleepless night with others getting up etc. You might sleep but I dont think you could really relax.
Another thing that concerned me was getting to the boat on time in the morning.

Hank

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:17 am

Hank we did the day trip to Devon and had booked the Devon Big4 that is only 1 km from the ferry. The Big4 park caters for ferry late arrivals and leaves your keys in an envelope outside the office.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:30 am

Shows that we are all different…(thank goodness).
We prefer the daytime crossing…Lots to see and do during the day…Fantastic scenery leaving PFB and arriving in Tas (and Vice-versa). People to chat too, shopping, dining, reading, relaxing etc. etc..
When doing the night crossing, we always had trouble sleeping…tossed and turned the whole night.. couldn’t wait to get out of bed and start getting ready to disembark.
Arriving and setting up for the night was no trouble as it got dark….All nearby CVan Parks cater for boat arrivals. No need to arrive too early at the docks.

Jock ;-)

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next