View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Darling River Run 

Post Darling River Run
G’day People,

I know there are a couple of threads here on the Darling run but I seek current advice.

What is the weather like this time of year (i.e. road condition) and is it suitable for my bitumen tandem van?

Thinking of teeing in (from Melbourne) near Wilcannia then point to Bourke. Is the section Wilcannia towards Mildura a worthy inclusion?

Any advice appreciated for a Darling complete novice :oops:

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:04 pm

Post Re: Darling River Run
OT,
I can’t give you up to date conditions that you need but if you haven’t seen it, whilst in Bourke , check out the big two cylinder engine that is run at midday every day. I think it is the only real attraction in town.
glanyard

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi OT,
Yes it is worth starting at Mildura head up to Mungo NP camp worth a look then drive north through the park and cut across to Pooncarie which had no fuel available last time I was there. I would think you need two nights at Mungo. Carry on up to Menindee (possibly a night camp on the lakes) then onto Wilcannia. Cannot comment about the road conditions but they were OK when I went through. Possibly the road was a bit worse from Wilcannia to Tilpa but really just a matter of go slow if need be. Also need to decide which side of the river to travel.

Last year my brother did the Burke run down the Darling and broke a leaf spring but that can happen anytime and Burke had plenty of springs available.

JR
:razz:

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:51 pm

The engine glanyard speaks of does not run on Sundays and Public holidays, sadly last time we were in Bourke we arrived Saturday afternoon and left on the public holiday Monday so we also missed it.

Hank

Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]