View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Another Tassie C.Park Whinger 

Post Another Tassie C.Park Whinger
Hi, Here is a link to another one of those Caravan Park owners in Tassie, that do not what to see their Tourism industry survive. Now me being a lover of bush camping, I have also cut and pasted a email the the Park owners in Question.

Whether my views are right or wrong, the Tourist industry need people like us bush campers to survive.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= … 9003,d.dGY

Hi,
Well I am a Queenslander and have previously visited Tasmania with our van.
It is our intentions to so again in the next couple of years as Tasmania is a very special place.
Now re your concerns as promoted in the Advocate.
Firstly, I am sure you would have checked out the opposition accommodations style in your area before buying the Park.
I note that you have cabins in your park, to attract business away from any local hotel or motels in the area.
Are you prepared to demolish your cabins because you are affecting the income of other tourist accommodations business. I bet not.
Your selfish complaints will drive valuable $$$$ away from the other local business in your region.
Yet you have the audacity to whinge and wine about people wanting to enjoy what Tassie has to offer.
Whilst you may miss out on the dollars let me tell you that we spent $8000 on our first trip to Tassie, including the ferry fare.
Perhaps you need to come up with a better business plan than the current one.As it appears your current mode of operation is not working to your satisfaction. So change it.
For argument, why not offer space at a nominal fee for tourists who have fully self contained units.
Ok, you may not be getting the 100 cents in the dollar, but at least it would be better than empty camp sites. You know the old Bumps on Seats attitude.

Anyway think out side of the 9 dots and stop trying to negate tourism to your area, as you will not be the only one who misses out.

Signed……….

jay&Dee

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:43 pm

Post Re: Another Tassie C.Park Whinger
They were the ones that started it all in Tasmania a few years ago Jay and Dee – note the date Feb. 27 2011. Yes, they bought the park, then complained about the nearby small freebie. That put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:52 pm
Profile WWW

Why are you raking up old coals Jay & Dee ?? (4 year old news)… Your ‘sparking’ things up actions could easily backfire. The local Council get big revenue from the Caravan Park as opposed to debit cost maintaining the Free Camping areas. The C.P. also provides for local employment and the use of Trade Contractors. If they were to close down, the loss to the local Council would far outweigh the benefits gained from the free campers..Dont forget that Caravan Park users also spend money locally.
It is my experience that, in general, the standard of Caravan Parks and National Park camps in Tas. is very low. But they do provide Power, water, shower and toilet facilities for the vast majority who prefer to use them rather than Free Camps. All Caravan Parks in Tas. are "Chock a Block" during their peak periods. So much so that you have to book ahead if you want to be assured of a site.
In the unlikely event that they do close down free camps and you decide not to visit again then I believe that you would be "cutting off your nose to spite your face"….I would lay odds on that Tourism numbers to Tas. will not drop…maybe even increase.
Just expressing my opinion..No offence intended..makes for the usual interesting discussion on this well worn subject.

Jock :)

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:34 am

Hi Guys,
When I came across this link, I noticed that under the ADVOCATE it said 25.1.2015, so I assumed that it was a yesterday article.
But when I revisited the link after reading Jock comments, I then did notice the older date.
Anyway, the free and low cost camping is well reported in the Motherhen’s… Go see Australia.
A great site to read and get an understanding of our rights to have free choice.
No offence taken Jock, as we are all entitled to our Freedom of speech.

Happy and joyous Aussie Day to all.
We are blessed to live in Australia.
Jay&Dee

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:01 am

Just updating Jay and Dee. The good news is that Gowrie Park Caravna Park http://www.gowriepark.com.au/ has changed hands since then, and all good reports about present owners, so good choices for camping in Gowrie Park, and what a lovely location it is :razz: . I wish the new owners of the caravan park well.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:55 am
Profile WWW

Jock,
A well worn subject in deed, and so it should be. The whole idea of this site is to continue discussing RVs of varying types, their uses and where to park them etc, etc. If someone brings up a subject previously discussed then surely that is their right; I’m not throwing rocks at you, by the way.
I say that it would be typical of a CP operator to bitch about a free camp just down the road after ripping off a park full of patrons and not reinvesting into the facilities. A lot of them down there are mediocre and as such haven’t seen an update since being originally built.
Can you or someone else direct me to a few that have bucked the trend and gone modern; maybe a couple of our Tassie mates?

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:55 am

jock wrote:
Why are you raking up old coals Jay & Dee ?? (4 year old news)… Your ‘sparking’ things up actions could easily backfire. The local Council get big revenue from the Caravan Park as opposed to debit cost maintaining the Free Camping areas. The C.P. also provides for local employment and the use of Trade Contractors. If they were to close down, the loss to the local Council would far outweigh the benefits gained from the free campers..Dont forget that Caravan Park users also spend money locally.
It is my experience that, in general, the standard of Caravan Parks and National Park camps in Tas. is very low. But they do provide Power, water, shower and toilet facilities for the vast majority who prefer to use them rather than Free Camps. All Caravan Parks in Tas. are "Chock a Block" during their peak periods. So much so that you have to book ahead if you want to be assured of a site.
In the unlikely event that they do close down free camps and you decide not to visit again then I believe that you would be "cutting off your nose to spite your face"….I would lay odds on that Tourism numbers to Tas. will not drop…maybe even increase.
Just expressing my opinion..No offence intended..makes for the usual interesting discussion on this well worn subject.

Jock :)

If everyone "books ahead" to get a space in a cvan park then the same number who didn’t book ahead might do so next time. So everyone books ahead.
That means that the same number will be unable to get a site regardless, when everyone is obliged to book ahead for weeks, wont it?

The same people who cannot get into the cvan park will go to the free camp, wont they?

Well equipped vans already have power, water, shower and toilet facilities, don’t they?
Others may choose a park for whatever reason they choose, but attempting to force people into a cvan park is clearly unpalatable.

The local council get big revenue from the cvan park?
The whinging park operator complained of three vans in his park whilst twelve vanners voted with their wheels and chose to stay in the free camp. They didn’t want the "services" of a cvan park, did they?
That’s a ratio of 4:1 against the park, showing a very clear preference by people not to be forced into someone’s cvan park?
No "vast majority" for the cvan park, by my understanding of the quoted facts?

Sadly, owning a cvan does not oblige people to patronise cvan parks?

What other businesses require cvanners to patronise them unnecessarily?

Alfie

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:47 am

Glanyard…. We would have to completely concur with you comments re the standard or should we say lack of standards at 60% plus of the C.Parks in Tasmania.
The best one we stayed at was I think Norfolk on the river some 20 klms or so from Hobart.
They certainly need to lift their game.
Jay&Dee

Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:22 pm

Interesting topic seeing how we are travelling to Tassie in early Feb
Bill

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:39 pm

Jay&dee,
We stayed in the Norfolk in 2003 and they wanted $20 then for the key deposit to the "amenities".
Obviously things haven’t changed in 12 years.
glanyard

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next