12-24-36-48 hour Freedom Camps – Is it long enough??

Motherhen

Re: 12-24-36-48 hour Freedom Camps – Is it long enough??

Post by Motherhen » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:28 pm

How many caravanners have big freezers in their caravans? It may be a convenience for some who choose them, but it is not cost effective for most to power a big freezer in a caravan, nor carry the weight and space.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

jock

Post by jock » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:06 pm

Mally wrote:I think the excuse you have free camping to support the community is a furphy. I doubt that many of you spend very much in these small towns. Petrol that you probably had to buy anyhow and most of you have your big fridge freezers stuffed full that you got cheap at the last big town or city. :rolleyes:
Yeah! I agree Mally…and Motherhen, disagree with your thoughts that not many travel with extra freezers..Cant think of any of my friends and aquaintances who dont travel with an extra freezer. May not be “big fridge freezers” as Mally says but certainly Engels, Waecos etc.etc.etc.
We always leave home with the caravan fridge and at least one of our two extra freezers ‘chock-a-block’ with food from home or a big town like Port Augusta etc.
The so called ‘money spending’ in small towns by free campers is certainly a furphy and has been proven as such by a recent NSW Govt. sponsored study as discussed in a fairly recent post here.
The sort of crap that comes out about this is typified by a write-up in the last issue of “Caravan World” magazine. It deals with a report on the ACC’s national gathering for a few days at Mudgee NSW. There were approx. 200 in attendance and the comment was made that, According to the ACC, about $235,000 was injected into the local economy plus an extra $1,700 given to local charities……This would mean that each couple would have spent more than $1,250. in the Town !!!!!!!!! :roll: :)
Not hard to come to the opinion that this is a gross exageration!!!

Jock :roll:

mickd

Post by mickd » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:08 pm

Goday all . Most of the ‘free camping areas” i have seen on my now 6 times around oz are Rest Areas that a lot of people think gives them the right to CAMP there indefinately . I saw a bus whos female driver refused to move on after 48 hrs when requested to do so by a council employee they towed her bus out into a parking bay down the road, poetic justice i thought . And i would put money on the fact that most people stock up at woolies & Coles not the local shops (excepting some of the do gooders on this Forum) Regards Mick
2014 Ford Ranger XLT . 2014 Kedron 16-6 XC

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:54 pm

Wow! This is the first time I’ve been called a “do gooder”; thankyou.
I knew I was doing the right thing so now I’ll continue doing it. :D :D :D
glanyard

Jay&dee

Post by Jay&dee » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:26 pm

Well we have and will continue to utilize free camping if and where ever we can. Now I will admit that in some areas, obviously where we camp there are now services ie:- Along side lakes and river banks, but in the townships we do support the local community, and in fact we advise the owner/managers of these outlets why we have shopped with them.. to ensure that they ensure that their local authorities continue to support free camping.
As we are fully self contained we believe that we have the Freedom of Choice.
Jay & Dee

Tony48

Post by Tony48 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:14 am

glanyard wrote:Wow! This is the first time I’ve been called a “do gooder”; thankyou.
I knew I was doing the right thing so now I’ll continue doing it. :D :D :D
glanyard
x2 Glanny.
No further comment on this from me. I’ll leave it to the resident “experts”.
Comments made by me (Tony) are not necessarily those of the Management (Lorraine).
Tony & Lorraine
2009 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 turbo diesel. Chip & exhaust.
2010 Concept Ascot S9. [Modifications by Lavenders B & B and Caravan Service Center]

tom_cruiser_r69

Post by tom_cruiser_r69 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:42 am

I have a leaning towards Mally’s thoughts. I also agree with some of Jocks comments.

If people are so concerned with contributing towards a towns economic survival, why not support their caravan park too? Surely that would help. In truth many small towns have modest caravan parks that are not expensive and are quite habitable. Take as an example the Keith CP in SA.

We certainly stock up with supplies at the city supermarkets before we depart, look for the cheapest fuel outlets, carry an extra fridge we use as a freezer and don’t buy cafe latte’s in every coffee shop we see on our travels. We will buy what we need where we need it but do not consciously say “oh we must shop here to help this towns economy”.

I think free camping in a wonderful place for its natural intrinsic attraction, whatever that might be is just great. I’m just a bit cynical about the altruistic motives of some free campers who stay on the outskirts of towns. I emphasis the word “Some”.

Tom

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:13 am

Tom and others,
If there are caravan parks in the small towns and they are good on price and maintenance then sure we will use them.
The old arguement still stands; most of us are not prepared to pay for swimming pools in the winter or jumping pillows.
In April, after a wedding in Newcastle this year, we are doing a trek through eastern/southern Victoria to explore the towns we have only ever heard about and will be staying in caravan parks. If there is a choice we won’t be using parks with extraneous facilities. We will be then heading north via Healsville, Wangaratta, Findley and then up through outback NSW. At the same time if a free camp is available we will use it; freedom of choice.
glanyard

tom_cruiser_r69

Post by tom_cruiser_r69 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:05 pm

Glanyard,
Fair enough. I hope you have a great trip. If you drive through Berwick, look up Akoonah Park (Berwick show grounds). Big Sunday Market every Sunday and a low key caravan park out the back.

Tom

jock

Post by jock » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:34 am

tom_cruiser_r69 wrote:I have a leaning towards Mally’s thoughts. I also agree with some of Jocks comments.

If people are so concerned with contributing towards a towns economic survival, why not support their caravan park too? Surely that would help. In truth many small towns have modest caravan parks that are not expensive and are quite habitable. Take as an example the Keith CP in SA.

We certainly stock up with supplies at the city supermarkets before we depart, look for the cheapest fuel outlets, carry an extra fridge we use as a freezer and don’t buy cafe latte’s in every coffee shop we see on our travels. We will buy what we need where we need it but do not consciously say “oh we must shop here to help this towns economy”.

I think free camping in a wonderful place for its natural intrinsic attraction, whatever that might be is just great. I’m just a bit cynical about the altruistic motives of some free campers who stay on the outskirts of towns. I emphasis the word “Some”.

Tom

Yeah! good post Tom…I reckon that the majority of caravanners are like us. On a recent 6 month ’round the block’ trip, to save bickies, we deliberately stopped buying takeaways or sit-down lunches, drinks etc. and, instead made up sandwiches and a thermos of tea for lunch each day. We kept a record and, would you believe, We saved over $2,400. over our previous spending.
We free camp about 70% of the time and,allthough I agree with a lot of what is said by the free camping fanatics (I use the word deliberately), I cant agree with their incessant need to push and promote their lifestyle ad-nauseum. The same can be said for the Magazines.
The more they publicise and promote free camping, the more crowded the free camp sites will get
and not only will it become unpleasant to stay in them but the resultant, inevitable, garbage and destruction could lead to their closure.

Jock :(

Return to “Free-Camping – Freedom of Choice”