View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 12-24-36-48 hour Freedom Camps – Is it long enough?? 

Post 12-24-36-48 hour Freedom Camps – Is it long enough??
Hi everyone

Just got a question :?: – if you go to a Freedom Camp that is time limited say (12, 24, 36, 48 hour) is this really enough time to support the local community – given we will spend money exploring and buying fuel, groceries, drinks and meals etc…just don’t understand – say 48hrs – probably got enough food and fuel for 2 days??

Has anyone else got thoughts on this…I am also talking full time on the road…not a holiday..where you have to move on regularly??

Thanks Gary & Sheree

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:11 am

Post Re: 12-24-36-48 hour Freedom Camps – Is it long enough??
Scotty,
If a town is friendly, meaning they have provided facilities of some sort, you will most likely want to spend there. However if a town has signs everywhere banning camping for any duration, then drive straight through. If you have been on the road long enough and taken note of these places you plan ahead so that you don’t need to stop. A bar of soap or cup of coffee bought at the info centre is spending and if you multiply that by the number of nomads who know about that welcoming town, it mounts up.
It is said that there are approximately 50-60000 of us types on the road at any given time. For example, because Bowen, Qld, is in a shire area that does not allow free camping, then drive past; in time the message will get through-hopefully. We have stayed there in CPs a couple of times but it comes under the the Witsunday Greater Shire Council (I think that is what it is called) and their attitude is you pay, pay, pay to stay!
These are my thoughts.
glanyard

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi S&G.
72,96 hours could be all right for some but not for others.
But would they move you on don’t think so. :rolleyes:

Karen,Ron and the Girls. :razz:

Just coastingalong. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:05 pm

24 hours is not long enough – you pull in a night and feel obliged to move out next morning. Would you go back into town and hope you can find parking? Depends on the town and what you want to do.

48 – 72 hours allows some time; maybe go out to dinner, do some shopping or visit the local museum or other tourist attractions. It may take longer

Some towns have only limited room (eg Forbes NSW) and say 24 hours only to "share it around". Would they move you on if at a time there was no pressure for places? Probably not.

We convinced Guyra NSW that 24 hours only at Mother of Ducks was stifling the benefits, as traders felt they were missing out on trade by those taking advantage of the pleasant free campsite. They changed it to 48 hours, although the signs for 24 hours were left in place and may still be there. They ask that after 48 hours visitor patronise the caravan park instead so extensions not possible here.

Giving a time limit allows authorities to ‘clean up’ those who move in and have an unsightly camp. If there is space, staying a day or two longer as a clean and neat camper should not be a problem.

Often they are under pressure from local caravan park operators who perceive that the free campers should be their customers, so walk a delicate line to please all parties.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:12 pm
Profile WWW

It is my experience that you can put up what ever signs you like and the good folk will stay as long as they like. One bus we saw at Long Reach had been on site 10 days and it was a 48 hour site I believe.

Only honest folks do the right thing. :)

Sorry but if you can’t give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:18 pm

Thanks for all the input…yes it seems gauge the area – how busy it is – and we are honest – so will go with all the idea’s – just thought towns were doing themselves out of some money for extra short stays – and when we are on the road full time – we will have plenty of time to stop :)

Gary & Sheree

Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:38 pm

depends on what the intension of the spot is

Sometimes I’m only looking for a freedom camp/ rest break on a trip to somewhere else.

I would not be pleased to have that opportunity taken away because others decided the 12- 24 hour rest stop didn’t mean anything to them, or there was no room because other stayed for a week.

There are lots of others out on the roads that are not staying in their van for 6 months at a time (or longer)

In the above instance I would have fuelled up and have bought a feed (either breakfast or dinner) maybe some milk bread etc, but most likely not spread the wealth around more than one establishment

so like I mention, depends on the intension of the freedom camp, safety/ rest stop or income into the community

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:49 pm

I think the excuse you have free camping to support the community is a furphy. I doubt that many of you spend very much in these small towns. Petrol that you probably had to buy anyhow and most of you have your big fridge freezers stuffed full that you got cheap at the last big town or city. :rolleyes:

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:29 pm

Mally,
In my opinion, you are wrong; anyone else agree with me?
glanyard

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:58 pm

glanyard wrote:
Mally,
In my opinion, you are wrong; anyone else agree with me?
glanyard

Agree with you Glanyard.
Would suggest you are very much incorrect Mally.
We have been free and low cost camping for a while now and purposely spend $$$ where we have been able to do so, as do others we know.
Comments made on fact!

2010 Concept Ascot S9. [Modifications by Lavenders B & B and Caravan Service Center]

Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next