View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The cost of free camping 

Post The cost of free camping
I dont want to upset anyone here but we never free camp because when we think about it it would take us a very long time to pay off (with the money you save on free stays) all the stuff you need to be prepared for it. By that I mean we would have to up grade our van to a shower model $$$, get solar or genny with jerry can $$$ get deep cycle batteries $$$. Then you worry about security when leaving the van to sight see so that would have to be adressed somehow and running out of water. Sound like too much of a hastle to me.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:32 pm

Post Re: The cost of free camping
Ant@Shez wrote:
I dont want to upset anyone here but we never free camp because when we think about it it would take us a very long time to pay off (with the money you save on free stays) all the stuff you need to be prepared for it. By that I mean we would have to up grade our van to a shower model $$$, get solar or genny with jerry can $$$ get deep cycle batteries $$$. Then you worry about security when leaving the van to sight see so that would have to be adressed somehow and running out of water. Sound like too much of a hastle to me.

Ant@Shez,
I think that free camping is something that you either want to do or don’t. People were free camping and enjoying it a long time before all the bells and whistles came along. It does not have to be an expensive exercise.
It is one of those personal choice thingy’s that come along in life. But you may be missing out on some fabulous destinations.
National Parks can be well worth a look!

I respect your decision – Well said!

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:11 pm

I see all these destinations that are so spectacular and off the beaten track but we dont have a 4 wheel drive or off road van and with so much to see in this huge country of ours I can not see us ever needing to get to these places so there will always be a caravan park for us to stay and dont need to free camp or should I say be self contained. I wish we could find a four wheel drive that costs around the $30 Gs mark to buy that could tow say 2,500 tons that dont cost a fortune to run. Then we could do say at least one night bush camping now and again in the national parks and at least do a bit off rough road stuff without the van to see places. Is ther such a 4 wheel drive thats still a good car?

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:23 pm

Before the kids poped out the bride and I only free camped and that was on a motorcycle.

The plan is to start doing it again this year.

It’s a great way to see this place we call OZ.

When the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road"

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi Ant@Shez

You have been ‘sold’ that camping requires all the luxuries of home in the consumerism orientated world. People have been going "camping" for decades. Take a tent, a shovel and few supplies. If i wanted all the luxuries of home, i would stay home.

Our nearest neighbour is a kilometre away so i want to do better than that when holidaying. Our choice to bush camp has more to do with where we want to camp than cost, although that is a strong consideration, especially as the cost of our off-road capable independent rig cost more than touring using motels. We invested in something for lifestyle holidays and paid up front.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:01 pm
Profile WWW

Ant@Shez wrote:
I see all these destinations that are so spectacular and off the beaten track but we dont have a 4 wheel drive or off road van and with so much to see in this huge country of ours I can not see us ever needing to get to these places so there will always be a caravan park for us to stay and dont need to free camp or should I say be self contained. I wish we could find a four wheel drive that costs around the $30 Gs mark to buy that could tow say 2,500 tons that dont cost a fortune to run. Then we could do say at least one night bush camping now and again in the national parks and at least do a bit off rough road stuff without the van to see places. Is ther such a 4 wheel drive thats still a good car?

Ant, Give the people here an idea of where you live (which state at least) and I am sure that they will be able to give you some good examples of where to go free or low cost camping without the need of a 4WD.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:55 pm

Through out our travels we have seen 100’s of different styles and sizes of camping equipment. From a 2 man tent ….. the back of a station wagon to camper trailers …. caravans…. and of course the Winnabago and then Buses. Does it really matter what style of camping …. In th end it is your choice. Our choice is to have all the comforts of home with us on the road. That is Jay&dee style of camping and touring.
Do what fit your profile, and enjoy the company and this great land of ours.
What ever you chose you will not regret the experience.
Jay&Dee

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:06 pm

Ant@Shez wrote:

Hi
I recently purchased a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 3lt. Diesel for less than $30,000 with 73,000 on the clock and it will tow up to 3.5T. I changed from a 2002 Landcruiser TD and the Jeep is a far better tow vehicle in my opinion. The Jeep has 500nm of torque and uses less fuel than the Landcruiser.
My last trip of around 3000ks I averaged 13.8lt per 100ks. towing a Crusader Manhattan with a tare weight of 2,5T.
I hope this helps.
Regards Chris

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:04 pm

Chris,
That is far better than the Cruiser. I read on this site that someone’s with a Cruiser was getting 22.5 L to the 100.
I tow with a Range Rover and I am getting just over 20 to the 100klms.
Jay&Dee

Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:36 pm

In aswer to the question of where we live, we live on the Gold Coast. We have been to Cania gorge but would love to visit canarvon gorge. Anyone please keep up with any info reguarding cheaper 4 wheel drives. Our falcon gets around 12-13 litres per 100k towing a 2 ton van.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next