View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  14, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Free-Camping Our Right to Choose 

Post Re: Free-Camping Our Right to Choose
mouse_pudden wrote:
JayDee wrote:
For every negative on this thread there is always a positive.I am all for our ability to be able to free camp in this great country of ours. When ever we are free camped in a town and we support the local business ( as we do) we always make sure that the local business are told of our situation and our support of the local community.
A lot of the business say thanks, but I doubt that anything comes of it.
WE have to ensure that we have a voice at any debate by the authorities.

Jay&Dee

:mrgreen:9 times out 10 your talking to an employee they dont care jaydee to pass message on its like that these days :mrgreen:

M&P.
No I make sure that I talk to the owner or manager.
I agree re staff, hence my preference.
Jay&Dee

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:49 pm

After reading an article in the Queensland Courier Mail today, it is easy to see why people free-camp.

Admittedly, it is about the most popular beach side spots and it is in holiday peak season, but still, it is very expensive. Charges are between $50-$60 per day for 2 adults. Each child is an extra $12 per day and each extra adult is $20 per day.

Some sites are charging up to $500 per week for the family, whereas nearby units/apartments are going for $79 per night.

The sites mentioned are the most popular ones eg. Cotton Tree, Tallebudgera, Coolum etc.

The article goes on to say that people are quite prepared to pay this amount for a few weeks. But are these really the true campers, or just the once a year mob? I think I know the answer. But as most of us know, don’t go to these places at holiday times.

BennyT50

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:03 pm

We enjoy "free-campning", but first of all I would like to point out that I define "free-camping" as being able to choose where I camp, which I think is the title of this segment of the forum, and the reason I went to this section.
The things my wife and I enjoy about "free-camping" is the ability to escape the hustle and bustle of suburban life, to light a campfire in our little brazier and cook over the coals, to watch the birds and other wildlife come and go, to investigate the flora of an area, to breath in fresh air. Simply put, we enjoy the outdoors and being amongst it. For us, caravan parks rarely if ever have these things. They do often have lots of things we’re not interested in, but others seem to enjoy those facilities.
Having said all of that, we do use caravan parks during our travels if there are no suitable places to "free-camp", and gladly pay the tariff if all is up to scratch – sadly not always the case.
To conclude, we are not interested in rejoining suburbia when we have made some sort of attempt to escape it for a while. We believe that local councils should charge some kind of fee for any services they provide in nearby camping spots and we are always happy to make some contribution along these lines.
Having said all of this, the one thing we do hate about "free-camping" is the choice some make to foul up the area – usually day trippers and the like who are unlikely to return and so have not sense of ownership of some thing they have simply used.
Happy camping,
Mike

Sat May 04, 2013 10:08 am

The Victorian Government is making it tough with the significant increase in National Park camping fees eh! Either a petition is required or individual letters must be sent to all Councils and MPs asking for their views, or write to the Victorian Premier’s Department & Cabinet, Spring Street,Melbourne 3000. All along the East Gippsland coast now there are fines for "camping"/sleeping in vehicles etc.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:32 pm

On one side, road safety people tell us to take a nap rather than drive tired, and we see those Take 5 signs along the roadside with nowhere to stop. Now some authority is planning to fine drivers who stop to have a sleep, be it in their car, or making the choice of their bed if they have a caravan or motorhome?

If ‘my driver’ is tired or unable to drive safely due to headache or illness, lives come first. We will stop in a safe place (eg not on the road) and rest until morning.

I do understand the issues that Councils are facing with illegal campers, but a differentiation can be made.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:00 pm
Profile WWW

For us " free camping " means not been packed into a caravan park with other people who want the security of a Park. "Free Camping " to us means that we can stop at the nominated sites that we chose. We have no issues in paying the going Free camping fee if and when applicable.
We just want to get away from the crowd and camp alongside a creek or lake or dam and enjoy the scenery and the peace of the place.
The great thing about bush camping is that everyone is virtually one big family.
We do not believe in such a thing as a free lunch, so we have no issues with a user pays system in " Free Camps."
Jay&Dee

Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:24 pm

This bloke at the Latrobe Caravan Park is anti-free (freedom) camping and is now banging on about the Council’s lack of enforcement has caused his business to close.

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/355 … ping-poll/

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:41 pm

Follow the links and feedback https://www.facebook.com/Freechoicecamp … 9533360038 as to why he is losing business – and as a local Jessdogster, this is probably not news to you.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  14, 5, 6, 7, 8