Free-Camping Our Right to Choose

jock

Re: Free-Camping Our Right to Choose

Post by jock » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:19 pm

gailmaree wrote:
All the Pools, Splash Park and other great amenities were in full operation. They had several Gardeners employed full time plus 1/2 a dozen reception staff and 2 or 3 maintenance personell carrying out repairs to some of the cabins and facilities. The free aqua aerobics were conducted 3 times per week with only 2 or 3 patrons and the free pancake breakfasts were still offered, run by about 4 staff and with only about 20 patrons participating. In short, they would be running at a severe loss during off-peak times.
This, I feel, is one of the main reasons we pay so much at some Parks. Speaking with caravanners since retiring last August and getting back into travelling.. the majority mention they just want somewhere to park and use as a base to get out and explore that area for the time they are at that location. They dont require aerobics, jumping castles, camp kitchens, gamesrooms etc. We pay for all those “extras” in the tarriff regardless. Parks are now targetting “family holidays” but by charging per person (or child) again makes a week in the school holidays out of the average family’s ( those with mortgages etc) pocket. It amazes me that you can go on a 10 day cruise with all meals and entertainement for less than $1000 but costs far more to go to an island 5 miles off the coast :)
Yes Gailmaree…You are quite right. The parks that have all these gizmos are for families or even for GN’s who enjoy all the trimmings (we’re in our 70’s and we enjoy them – off season of course). But not very many Parks have all these ‘trimmings’ the case I made in regards to Cobar is a typical example and fits into your scenario for a Park without all the so called attractions..they have none of these…not even a kids playground..but they still charge $32.00 pn.
We wont be staying there again..

Jock :neutral: :neutral:

unimog

Post by unimog » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:07 pm

I have read this and other Forums on free camping and notice the enthusiasm to discuss this subject.
It is one thing to complain and another to do something about it.

To that end I have a suggestion that could work for free campers.

Campers could carry with them a pre printed pack of Flyers. They
could leave one with any Council of any Town that they either stayed
in attempted to stay in.

The pack of Flyers could comprise 2 different messages:

– THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING US TO FREE CAMP IN YOUR SHIRE. IT WAS MOST ENJOYABLE.
WE WERE HAPPY TO PURCHASE A RANGE OF GOODS AND SERVICES FROM YOUR
LOCAL BUSINESSES.
YOU WILL SEE US AGAIN

OR

– WE STRUGGLED TO FIND A GOOD PLACE TO FREE CAMP IN YOUR TOWN.
I AM AFRAID YOUR BUSINESSES MISSED OUT ON OUR CUSTOM
WE MIGHT TRY AGAIN ONE DAY

The camper could put a line through the non applicable statement so
each Council could judge how they were going and whether there was pressure to change with regard to free camping.

When different Councils start to build up a stack of these flyers the “Bean
Counters” might start to reshape their policies accordingly.

All food for thought
Michael

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Great idea – especially the positive one letting them know that businesses were rewarded.

However the Council bean counters only care about Council funds, not the fortunes of the private businesses in town. Servicing campgrounds, rubbish and dump points is just a cost to the bean counters.

We need to get through to the Chamber of Commerce or what ever traders organisation if present in that town. They are the ones who need to know about lost trade too.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

unimog

Post by unimog » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:14 pm

Sure, Councils have to empty the bins etc but the Councillors also need to be voted in by eg the businesses so there is incentive for Councillors to enact changes and policies to assist local businesses.
Michael

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:00 pm

There would be far more voters amongst the non business population who would choose cost over something that was and expense to all ratepayers via the budget, and a benefit to only a few who have businesses that the travellers would be likely to patronise.
unimog wrote:Sure, Councils have to empty the bins etc but the Councillors also need to be voted in by eg the businesses so there is incentive for Councillors to enact changes and policies to assist local businesses.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

unimog

Post by unimog » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:29 pm

I largely agree but it is fair to point out that all rate payers have a chance to benefit when businesses make a profit and pay tax and employ.
Plus every dollar that comes in to a community from outside is worth far more than just moving money around that community; eg a travellers money going to the dentist in a country town as a convenience because they are free camping there is of more benefit to the community than when Fred Blogs from down the street goes to the same dentist
Michael .

jock

Post by jock » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:34 pm

MH & Unimog…you make good points but I’m afraid the free camper’s well worn cliche … ‘ If You dont supply free camps, we’ll spend our money elsewhere’. Has been virtually proven to be hog-wash. e.g. A few weeks ago the Sunday Mail carried an article headed “Towns put off by scrooge visitors” (C.M 4/11/12..P73) It says that according to a 30 page Qld. Gov. enquiry paper, the average G.N. spends $78. a third of which was fuel of which only a small percentage stays in local pockets. Only $10 on average was spent on food. The rest on accommodation.
Now people can argue all they like about the money they spend in towns but for every one of them there must be heaps who dont spend anything.
I know that in our case, we usually stock up with all our needs in the bigger towns with the big, cheaper supermarkets. When we stop at a smaller town, we buy buggar all and if we do fuel up, we probably would have done so anyway even if we were not stopping.
All in all, I dont think a town closing a free camp area, is seriously going to to be adverse to the towns coffers…especially if there’s a decent C.P. in town.
Motherhen makes a good point that Councils have to think of all their ratepayers..not just the business folk…after all, the cost of maintaining a free camp area is borne by all.. not just business folk who, it seems will not go broke just because the Council closed the local free camp facilities.

Jock :neutral:

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:31 pm

There are still some shining examples of towns that do very nicely out of free or low cost campers; some which are booming from this tourism because they had their eyes open and encouraged tourists. To me it is a win-win situation and i encourage it.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

JayDee

Post by JayDee » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:34 am

For every negative on this thread there is always a positive.I am all for our ability to be able to free camp in this great country of ours. When ever we are free camped in a town and we support the local business ( as we do) we always make sure that the local business are told of our situation and our support of the local community.
A lot of the business say thanks, but I doubt that anything comes of it.
WE have to ensure that we have a voice at any debate by the authorities.

Jay&Dee

mouse_pudden

Post by mouse_pudden » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:28 pm

JayDee wrote:For every negative on this thread there is always a positive.I am all for our ability to be able to free camp in this great country of ours. When ever we are free camped in a town and we support the local business ( as we do) we always make sure that the local business are told of our situation and our support of the local community.
A lot of the business say thanks, but I doubt that anything comes of it.
WE have to ensure that we have a voice at any debate by the authorities.

Jay&Dee
:mrgreen:9 times out 10 your talking to an employee they dont care jaydee to pass message on its like that these days :mrgreen:
a bad day alive is better than a good day dead

Return to “Free-Camping – Freedom of Choice”