Tasmania - State to control Free Camping!

jessdogster
Cracked the big time

Tasmania - State to control Free Camping!

Post by jessdogster » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:17 am

This appeared in todays local newspaper - The Advocate

No happy campers if pricing policy pushed

17 Aug, 2011 12:00 AM
A UNIFORM statewide policy will soon determine how much councils charge for camping and motorhome sites, meaning many of the free options might become a thing of the past.
The Advocate revealed yesterday that council-provided free camping and motorhome sites were seriously under threat following complaints by caravan park owners being upheld against Latrobe, West Coast, Kentish and Central Highlands councils.
The Office of the Tasmanian Economic Regulator, based on "competitive neutrality" grounds, ruled the council free sites financially disadvantaged park operators.
Local government Minister Bryan Green said a uniform pricing policy would soon be adopted statewide.
"In order to support councils in their decision-making on this matter, the State Government is developing a directions paper that will look at the broader issues for councils and propose a statewide policy and uniform pricing methodology for councils for freedom camping and self-contained caravans and motorhomes," Mr Green said.
Mr Green recently directed the four councils, which were the subject of complaints, making "them comply with national competition policy competitive neutrality requirements".
"Our government understands the importance of promoting tourism in regional areas but we also know there are significant benefits to communities having viable privately owned businesses, which employ local people and which may encourage other local investment in that area."

Compliance with National competition policy neutrality requirements (?)

There are competing needs of communities but it would appear to be that the push by park owners may be to the detriment of that community.

What happens at time of peak demand when parks are full?

Is this the thin edge of the wedge?

regards
Jdog

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Re: The impending threat to Freecamping

Post by Frank & Brenda » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:03 am

Maybe when tourism drops by a great percentage and ALL buisnesses suffer, the government will realise they have made yet another knee jerk reaction and it will take Tasmania years to recover, thanks to a few caravan park owners.
Frank

Food&Fish
Avid poster

Post by Food&Fish » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:09 am

Wonder if the govenment realise a caravan park employes say 10 people
We the caravanners ect are a 20.000 plus strong bunch of people

Let them do there thing
we can do our thing imagine tassy without tourists for 6 months
heres one who wont go
If it isent broke dont fix it

Sambob
Ex-staff

Post by Sambob » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:20 am

That's laughable...

I read recently that Tasmania (and I am a Tasi Lover) lags behind the rest of AU in regards to Travel & Tourism infrastructure, promotion and inovation. This blanket approach will certainly consolidate that!

Why must bureaucracies always get involved in things they have no understanding of. and hurt many local businesses.

Very disappointed by this approach that will affect a place I first travelled to in the 70's and have returned regularly ever since.
Simon Bayliss

Don't look at what is and ask, Why ... look at what isn't and ask, Why Not!

JayDee
An old hand

Post by JayDee » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:30 am

I for one am totally against this government decision. Just another blunder which will cost the Tasmanian government or should I say the tax payers heaps of $$$ to administer.
We spent 2 months in Tassie earlier this year, and the thing that attracted us was the Free Camps at the above mentioned regions, and around the rest of Tassie.
Would not go back to Tassie unless we had the ability to choice where to park our van.
The C.Park owners may and I say may gain a few extra customers, but the small business in the area will certainly miss our support.
I am going to contact the Tassie government and put my case forward, and I suggest we all do the same thing. As it is the squaky whel that get the attention, just like the park owners have done.
Thanks JDog.. So much for the free camp nest to the cement works on Davenport Road.
JayDee

Bundyrumandcoke
An old hand

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:32 am

Go to The Advocates website, find the link to the story- sorry I am not allowed to post it here- then add a comment about it, I just did.

Cheers
Bundy

JayDee
An old hand

Post by JayDee » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:29 am

Like I said I have contacted the Minister as per the below message re the above.
I strongly suggest the we all lobby for our freedom of choice.
Just google the Advocate newspaper or google minister for local government Tasmania and you are up and away.

Minister Green.
I am a resident in Brisbane and I have just read with concern your comment, in the Advocate newspaper, in regards to the Caravan Parks in Tasmania.
I for one can not see the logic in your comments re free camping in your great State.
We visited Tassie for 9 weeks in February of this year. And yes we free camped about 60 to 70 % of the time.
We spent thousands of dollars from the time we placed our van on the Spirit of Tasmania.
Our contribution supported the Supermarkets, albeit large and small for our supplies plus the expenditure on fuel at the local service station. All the small retail business also were supported. Now let’s talk about the the dollar revenue that we generated for the tourist operators.
The dollars spent supporting the National Parks, and of course the wineries, gift shops and book shops and of course the good old pie shop etc etc.
All of the above businesses, courtesy through the mainland tourist visitations, employ thousands of staff which in turn means that the staff then support the local community.
Are you prepared to jeopardise all of the above to cater for the whimps and or demands of a small number of caravan parks owners who probably would not employ one extra person if they had the FULL sign up.
By the way when we visited Strahan in west coast in late February this year we were unable to gain a site in both the caravan parks, so we ended up hearing of the possibility of a site at the golf club, otherwise we would have moved on and not spent about $500 on the Gordon River cruise and the old train from Queenstown to Strahan, plus takeaway outlets etc.
We did have on our radar a revisit to Tassie, but if you go ahead with your decision, we will definitely have to seriously rethink our travel plans of the future.
Loved the island, but like many retirees who make up the bulk of the R.V. industry, we enjoy the freedom of choice.
Mr Minister let the freedom of choice rule and let the market forces control the desires of the Caravan and Motorhome tourist to you island.
I would appreciate a response to this message.
John Rodgers
[email protected]
07 32876254

Tyne'e
Avid poster

Post by Tyne'e » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:33 am

It is a pity we cant see behind a lot of these newspaper articles and who motivates them, after all never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
I remember a few motor home ralleys back in Tassie when I was living in Tas the mayor of Burnie opened up behind the big football ground to campers and a few caravan park ops carried on. His response was we want tourists and their dollars (not a quote) and they will always be encouraged to visit.. I am sure this is another case of sour grapes by park operators that pop up every now and then. I know a lot of parks in Tas cant handle big vans let alone 5th wheelers and M/H's.
Now having said that, as an ex caravan park manager I think it is out of order for Gov to allow free spots next to or in close proximity to a caravan park. I know a lot will take a freeby anyplace they can get one, personally I like free camps but would not be so rude as to set up next door to a caravan park
Pajero DID, Jayco Heritage 21.5 ft
http://www.mechanisedswaggies.com

JayDee
An old hand

Post by JayDee » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:35 am

Simon,
Perhaps your association can add pressure to this subject by lobbying on behalf of the R.V. industry to have this pending decision overturned. Just a thought, mate
JayDee.

Sambob
Ex-staff

Post by Sambob » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:32 am

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Go to The Advocates website, find the link to the story- sorry I am not allowed to post it here- then add a comment about it, I just did.
Cheers
Bundy
Yes you can bundy... here it is:
http://www.theadvocate.com.au/news/loca ... 60638.aspx
JayDee wrote:Simon,
Perhaps your association can add pressure to this subject by lobbying on behalf of the R.V. industry to have this pending decision overturned. Just a thought, mate
JayDee.
Yes were onto it and monitoring what is happening, and will be fighting for the rights of RVers. These are issues we are VERY passionate about.

Please keep any an all information on these matters coming!
Simon Bayliss

Don't look at what is and ask, Why ... look at what isn't and ask, Why Not!

Return to “Free-Camping - Freedom of Choice”