NSW CCIA - Free-Camping Views

Rosehill
Getting the hang of it

NSW CCIA - Free-Camping Views

Post by Rosehill » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:49 pm

From the Editor: I am spitting as I believe it will become more specific. debatable, etc from the original topic. By splitting the topic, it will provide a clean start to the subject that RoseHill (and others) are following up. I hope all (most) agree.

NOTE** Please keep postings to the point, informed, respectful, and factual. There will be a right of reply afforded CCIA NSW **

For those who are interested (particularly in "free" camping), I strongly suggest you thoroughly read and think about their role and the information contained in the CCIA website (Google NSW Caravan and Camping Industry Association) particularly the media kit titled "Caravan & Camping Industry Profile" under "media resources". It gives you great insight into their future aims and objectives and how it may effect the future for those of us who are planning a retirement or those already enjoying camping and touring Australia in a tent, caravan or motor home.

Don't sit back and let things drop because they appear to be "harmless" or "stupid" comments and shrug them off. Dig deeper and continue to express your viewpoint because things like this develop into bigger things that have an effect on your future way of life, choices available to you and the financial cost to do so. Believe me...this is not just me having a rant about a television show or host, it's way more serious than that over the long term. I want freedom of choice not lack of it!

Food&Fish
Avid poster

Re: A Bloody Disgrace

Post by Food&Fish » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:00 pm

Could you please supply a link to the story you are refering to
If it isent broke dont fix it

Rosehill
Getting the hang of it

Re: A Bloody Disgrace

Post by Rosehill » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:10 pm

Here you go http://www.caravan-camping.com.au/the-a ... media-kits :idea: There's a bit to read and absorb but it's definitely worth thinking about, what the consequences are and how we could be effected in the future.

Food&Fish
Avid poster

Re: CCIA NSW

Post by Food&Fish » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:21 pm

Thanks got it
If it isent broke dont fix it

Chonga
An old hand

Post by Chonga » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:26 pm

G'day all,

The PDF article in the above link shows that the caravan parks association is definitely trying to close down free camps by placing the financial burden on councils of supplying amenities of a certain standard to free camps.
The association will point out that they have to abide with these standards so why shouldn't councils have to. The difference is these days that people are equipping themselves with self contained rigs and as a consequence don't need to go to a caravan park to pay rent on a patch of grass. The caravan parks don't give you a discount for having your own amenities.
I understand that caravan parks are a business but are they using fancy consultants to convince the government that they should be given a monopoly on RV tourism. I remember in an industry I was associated with that consultants were employed to give a flowery and compelling report support supporting its aims - in other words they wrote a supporting report with the answers that were paid for (sounds like climate change scientists). One of the points they make is that affluent Baby Boomers have a lot of money to spend and therefore should share this with caravan park owners - this is not always true and I know in our case if we were forced into caravan parks every day we wouldn't be able to afford to travel this great land of ours.

I will be going to my State Government member of Parliament with a copy of this and putting my case as to why the associations aims should be squashed. My point, among others, will be that the association is trying to get the government to hand them a monopoly. Everybody, including all caravan clubs and RV associations, should do the same if we are going to protect the rights of all the traveling public.
The government didn't stop caravan parks from putting cabins into parks as opposition to motels and hotels so why should they receive protection that the motels and hotels weren't given.

Cheers CHONGA

BC47
On a roll

Post by BC47 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:09 pm

Well said Chonga. I looked at the article and their intention is clear. And this comes from an industry which is obviosly doing very nicely. As they state in thier article growth has been healthy inddeed. Seems to me that if the really think they are missing out on potential revenue they should be looking at how they can meet the needs of the "free campers" to gain their custom as I'm sure that it's not always the "free" bit that attracts us.

Boroma577
Cracked the big time

Post by Boroma577 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:17 am

Chonga wrote: The government didn't stop caravan parks from putting cabins into parks as opposition to motels and hotels so why should they receive protection that the motels and hotels weren't given.

Cheers CHONGA
Very good point Chonga

Rosehill
Getting the hang of it

Post by Rosehill » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:02 am

Well put, Chonga. :idea: I think a very important point we need to remember is that some industry groups are also lobby groups and a very powerful force given the money and resources they have available. No matter who they are, they will take strong and aggressive action to change government policy for the benefit of their members. Sometimes a more subtle approach is taken but still with great influence. I believe there's nothing wrong with that PROVIDED it's done for all the right reasons for the benefit of EVERYONE. Sometimes this is not the case.

The average person can be put off by this so as Chonga said, we need to take action. Speak up, e-mail, write letters to government, groups and business and never underestimate what a powerful lobby group WE are as individuals. It's our hard earned $$ and right to freedom of choice at stake in the long term.

Tony48
An old hand

Post by Tony48 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:10 am

There should be room for the two types of camping to coexist. There are not enough van parks to accommodate all travellers.
Many small country towns are dying, and could benefit from the installation of a dump point at least, and a bit of open space, maybe water if available. Making an area attractive to the traveller should bring $$$$ to the smaller towns.(Stating the obvious I know).
Once you get to the coast it changes, but many van parks are setting up more for the "cabin" family holiday. How about the "big parks" setting aside overnight "free" spots for genuine travellers, limited to say 20 hours.
There is a lot to this and it requires serious unbiased input.
Comments made by me (Tony) are not necessarily those of the Management (Lorraine).
Tony & Lorraine
2009 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 turbo diesel. Chip & exhaust.
2010 Concept Ascot S9. [Modifications by Lavenders B & B and Caravan Service Center]

Rosehill
Getting the hang of it

Post by Rosehill » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:27 am

Agree with Tony. A lot to think about and if everyone worked co-operatively together everyone's needs could be met. A win-win situation :)

Return to “Free-Camping - Freedom of Choice”