View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 shower and toilet tent 

Post shower and toilet tent
Hi,
This is our first post as we are new members.

We are about to leave on our half lap (End of April) and have geared our van up for free camping. We have travelled a fair bit over the past 3 years but this is the first for free camping. As we dont have the luxury of an inbuilt shower and toilet, I would like to know the protecol for erecting a shower and toilet tent. we dont want to upset the neighbours. We are also looking to buy a generator and would like some ideas.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Post Re: shower and toilet tent
Hi Guys, Welcome.
I would think the protocol for an ablutions tent would be the same as a generator. Make sure it’s behind a tree, only use it between 0800 and 2100 hours and make sure its got a good muffler. Enjoy your half.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:29 pm
Profile WWW

thank you for that info. yes I am sure generators can be a nuisance but are necessary. We will heed your advice.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:34 pm

Welcome to the funny farm, guys.

We erect our shower/toilet tent depending upon location. We’ve had it at the rear of our van; other times about 10 feet away; other times about 20 feet away. But NEVER intrusive of other campers/vanners. Pretty much common sense (should be).

There are two fairly new threads on generators – just do a search. Will save a lot of repetition herein. A fairly diverse mix of opinions on the ‘humble’ generator I am afraid.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:42 pm
Profile WWW

Hi Barry and Pam,
We have an external set of taps connected to the vans HWS, so we used to pitch the self opening shower thingy right beside the van. I had to stand guard and pass the towel etc.
These tents are easy to pack up and there is a three month night school course you can do to get the basics right. Three months after that you will almost have it mastered.

I don’t know weather it was the tent or the (5 degree weather) showers, but we now have a shower and toilet built in.
As far as gennies, go get the quietest one you can and the smallest you need,unless you are going to eventually run an air con.

The link is to our "inventions pics thread" and shows a little pump set up made from a bilge pump.
This unit is portable and if you have a bucket of warm water you are set to go.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8223&start=60

Sorry but if you can’t give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi Barry & Pam welcome to the forum. I set my shower tent beside the van and park so it is away from others when camping out, have even set it up under the annex when it was pouring with rain, as I am solo I like to stay close to the van. Use a bucket with a tight fitting lid to keep clothes and towel dry in the tent while showering. If you haven’t purchased a shower tent yet buy one withe a removable floor. Makes drying it out a lot easier.
Have fun folding it up. :roll: :rolleyes: If you do a search there is a lot of humorous reading on the subject. :lol: :lol:

Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:54 am

We have a blue & white Oztent shower/toilet tent.it has external poles and guide ropes..removable floor.and soft mesh pockets to hold bits and pieces..including dunny paper….ours is setup behind the van door facing van……for privacy.

Dave

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Blog .. http://smokeydk.blogspot.com/

Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:17 am

Thank you all for your good advise. We have a shower tent and have been practising in the backyard putting it up(and taking it down) and have a also bought a Aqua Cube for our shower. There has been a lot of hilarious moments doing our training and the neighbours must think we are up to no good out there at times. Still we have mastered it and now have to do the real thing in front of other campers, we dont want to look like idiots!! It has pockets for all the stuff but the hint about a lidded bucket to keep the clothes dry sounds good.

The generator is the last and next thing on our list.

Can’t wait to drive out of the driveway!!

Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18′ poptop
Badger wrote:
Welcome to the funny farm, guys.

We erect our shower/toilet tent depending upon location. We’ve had it at the rear of our van; other times about 10 feet away; other times about 20 feet away. But NEVER intrusive of other campers/vanners. Pretty much common sense (should be).

There are two fairly new threads on generators – just do a search. Will save a lot of repetition herein. A fairly diverse mix of opinions on the ‘humble’ generator I am afraid.

Welcome from us too and as for the distance of the tent, it depends on what was on the menu the night before :lol:
Frank

BLOGS
http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com
http://thewesternadventure.blogspot.com/

Also member of Travellers chat

Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:50 pm

dieseltojo wrote:
These tents are easy to pack up and there is a three month night school course you can do to get the basics right. Three months after that you will almost have it mastered.
Why am I not laughing at this? 8-) At a caravan & camping show a couple of years ago, I approached one guy that was selling them and asked for a demonstration of how to fold it (because I could not fold the one we’d had for a couple of years). He did it oh so easily, then I had three goes at it. Confident I now had it mastered I went home and completely botched the attempt on ours … and still do. :cry: :oops:

Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next