solar panels

Brian

Re: solar panels

Post by Brian » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:53 am

As I said in my first post, locks only keep honest people out. But surely if you saw or heard someone tampering with someone elses van or equipment, with a grinder, drill or axe. You would check it out, or get a description, rego number. Or notify managment if in a park. I know I would. Brian.
Pajero NP Diesel Auto. Roadstar Limited Edition. Mackay. Nth Qld.

Hooked on vans

Post by Hooked on vans » Sat May 21, 2011 7:34 pm

We purchased a screaming security cable from Home of 12volt..Cost us about $50 12 months ago..It is quite deafening if the cable is cut or broken, ..Apart from that, we also have a case hardened chain & case hardened padlock..This gets threaded thru both wheels and the springs and the back of the solar..May not stop them but will slow them down…

And that’s only if we are home Lol
The rest is a secret Lol

diesel

Post by diesel » Tue May 24, 2011 9:13 am

Brian wrote:As I said in my first post, locks only keep honest people out. But surely if you saw or heard someone tampering with someone elses van or equipment, with a grinder, drill or axe. You would check it out, or get a description, rego number. Or notify managment if in a park. I know I would. Brian.
I agree with what you are saying Brian, but there are a lot of people out there that just don’t want to get involved in anything out of the ordinary especially in confrontation situations.

There are times when things can backfire also as it did with me in Darwin around 10 years ago when I helped a thief steal some wiper blades off another Landcruiser – I thought he was the owner just having a bit of trouble unclipping the blades. :oops:

diesel 8-)
Diesel

ron & sharron

Post by ron & sharron » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:40 pm

hello all
we are in the process of fitting 2 x 80 watt solar panels to our truck which we tow our van with. My question is has any one had issues with the polarity of solar panels we went to purchase 2 x 90 watt lorentz panels, but were told that they were positive to earth and this would cause problems with the trucks electrics which is negative to earth. that being the case we went for a small panel with the right polarity. would be interested to hear from someone with experiance in this field. HAPPY TRAVELS

pauls on the road

Post by pauls on the road » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:46 pm

does not matter how well we lock or alarm things if someone really wants the item they will find away to cut or remove the item so its up to all of us to keep an eye open on our fellow vaners,and at least you can slow them down,I to us SS wire, most peaple will walk away when they cant just walk away with an item, but if I saw someone walking around with a cordless grinder I would keep an eye on him and my baseball bat handy.and a quick call to the police.

cheers
Paul & Leah
Mitsubishi Triton & Jayco Sterling 20.64.1

Motormouse

Post by Motormouse » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:19 pm

We all know the ‘locks only stop honest people’ mantra, but truth is, they also stop the “normaly” honest opportunist, who’s been wanting one of (insert locked item here) those for a long time but hasn’t had the money, time or effort to get one the right way.

If we live frightened by the possiblility of losing something even when locked up, we wouldn’t leave home, (and they’ll take your stuff from there too if they have the chance.)
Cheers, Craig.
NP Pajero, Paramount Duet

jock

Post by jock » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:24 am

Motormouse wrote:We all know the ‘locks only stop honest people’ mantra, but truth is, they also stop the “normaly” honest opportunist, who’s been wanting one of (insert locked item here) those for a long time but hasn’t had the money, time or effort to get one the right way.

If we live frightened by the possiblility of losing something even when locked up, we wouldn’t leave home, (and they’ll take your stuff from there too if they have the chance.)
Yeah Craig..I agree entirely.
The locks, screaming cables etc etc. will prevent 50% of thefts….They wont stop the other 50% of ‘professional’ thieves.
We’ve lived in this spot for just on 15 years and been broken into 3 times would you believe!!!
Another favourite item to be stolen is generators. ..One of the problems of leaving your van in a free camp when nobody else is around.
Certainly too many low-lifes around these days.

Jock :evil:

Return to “Free-Camping Equipment”