View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Free Camping RV set-up 

Post Free Camping RV set-up
Hi, I am researching for an article I am writing on RV set-up for Free Camping for the C&M Mag, if you are interested in sending me a couple of pics and words on what you have, particularly if unique, let me know. I need it this week please. Regards, Graham

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:15 pm

Post Re: Free Camping RV set-up
G’day,we have a 10year old 20ft windsor statesman royle that we pull with a Troopy,we have fitted 360watts of solar panels to the roof of the van (3x6owat&1x80wat) they are glued to the roof of the van these charge 2x100ah deepcycle batteries.All lights have been changed to LED,we also removed the 3way fridge and fitted a 90lt engel and a plug outside to run the 40lt Engel freezer that rides in the troopy when we stop for a few days.We also have 2x65wat solar panels to boost the van on not so sunny days.We have fitted 2x85lt water tanks for showers and things and 1x60lt watertank in a differant system for drinking water.We also carry a small genny for those realy bad weather days.This system seems to work ok for us. fatestmick

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:12 pm

I’ve put together some tips in my blog if you’re interested.
[url]http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/ash-wendyfrank/1/1371315970/tpod.html
[/url]
Cheers Wendy

Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:10 am
Profile WWW

Hi Graham

There is a lot of sales talk about "free camping". People can have choices for all sorts of luxuries these days.

In my youth, as did my parents, their parents, and generations before, Australians loved going "camping".

Electricity was unheard of, and for children to go to bed in a tent with the smell of the kerosene lantern was all part of the excitement of the camping holiday. We managed without a thought of the need for a fridge, phone, water on tap, and television was unheard of. Most campers didn’t even have a radio.

While those who chose to and have the weight capacity, they can have lots of solar powered batteries, hot showers, washing machines, satellite television, but I don’t like to see all this pushed as essential to go "free camping". It is hardly even "camping".

The simple options need to be addressed as well as the upmarket options. It should not be about he who has the most toys wins.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:09 pm
Profile WWW

Hey Guys !!!! Graham said he needed the responses back in March!

Having said that though…..Not a bad topic for another thread.

Jock :)

Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:25 am

jock wrote:
Hey Guys !!!! Graham said he needed the responses back in March!

Having said that though…..Not a bad topic for another thread.

Jock :)

I had already sent info to Graham, not realising that it was initially a rather old request.
Anyway, I thought I would share my comments with you.

so here it is

G’day Graham,
I am a great supporter of free or bush or independent camping. However we do also when we want, repeat we want, to visit C.Parks. I recently visited the Brisbane Caravan & Camping show, and I could not find any exposure or representation in regards to free camping.
Oh !! yes…. there was a Grey Nomad stall there but this guy was selling his DVD on his touring experiences. If my memory is correct, I did visit your stand in the pavilion. But it appeared to be all about Parks. (I may be wrong)
The caravan manufactures of Australia are producing caravans today that equal a luxury apartment on say the Gold Coast. This means we can be totally self sufficient and therefore take advantage of many of the great Australian outback and city camping spots.
However C.Park owners are a self interested mob only. They have the facilities and security for those who want same. They are lobbying the local authorities crying that they are being penalised by us travellers who which to free camp.
But … I will bet my tow and van, that they did not ask the hotel and motel owners in their area if they objected to them taking away their business and profit by installing cabins in their parks, to attract the motel/hotel customers to their parks.

We do not want or seek many of the benefits that a park has on offer. Surely it is our right to " choose".
On a recent van tour of Tasmania we spent approx. $8000 including the Spirit of Tasmania fare and a huge majority of that was spent in the towns that supported free camping. Like wise we ensure that we support the Friendly Towns in our country.
I am a great believer of " let the market forces decide"
Our set up is:-
Land cruiser tow with a 22ft semi off road Coromal Princeton van, awning and extra shades, and matting etc.
Full ensuite, washing machine, two door fridge, lift up queen size bed, cooktop and oven, T.V. radio, satellite dish, roof solar panels, air conditioner, dual gas bottles , rear gennie box with gennie, rear tool box, plus many many more accessories like table chairs BBQ,fishing rods and red claw nets etc etc. So as you can see we are virtually fully sufficient.
We are in the process of adding a diesel heater and looking at a inflatable boat, and then I guess a roof rack.
Thankfully we have a Cruiser as the work horse.
So Graham, now you can see why we any many hundreds of other caravaners not only request, but want the right to FREEDOM CAMPING.
Love your forum. I have learned heaps from this forum.
Cheers
jay&Dee

Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Ditto Jay/Dee

Well said. :D

Keith

TRITON GLXR 4X4 TWINCAB UTE
GEIST XK 485 CARAVAN
http://www.seeyatamorra.blogspot.com/

Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:50 am
Profile WWW