View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Another Solar Panel question 

Post Re: Another Solar Panel question
Hi Browny,
I would expect about 3 to 3.5 amps from a 60Watt solar cell and 7amps total from two.

Have a close look at the leads they are about the size you would use for a telephone not any where large enough to carry 6amps.

The regulator is worth about $1.00 as they tend not to regulate above 14V so be prepared to buy a better regulator if you want the full benefit of the solar cell.

I cannot comment on the actual solar cell but if it can deliver 120Watts the price is much better than the $1000.00 that I paid five years ago but my solar cell is still delivering over 7amps in full sun light so it’s hard to say if the $300.00 cell has the staying power.

JR
:razz:

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:47 pm

Seeing as someone has a question I am gonna ask too. We are both extrememly confused on the whole issue. We have a ctek battery thingy and 2 deep cycle batteries in our van. We cannot keep a power source up to it where it is stored. We then have a problem with flat batteries when we head off. We’re thinking of getting a portable solar panel to keep a trickle to the batteries whilst it is in storage. Can anyone tell us if we connect a panel to our anderson plug at the front of the van do we still need an inverter?

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:34 pm

jenanddave wrote:
Seeing as someone has a question I am gonna ask too. We are both extrememly confused on the whole issue. We have a ctek battery thingy and 2 deep cycle batteries in our van. We cannot keep a power source up to it where it is stored. We then have a problem with flat batteries when we head off. We’re thinking of getting a portable solar panel to keep a trickle to the batteries whilst it is in storage. Can anyone tell us if we connect a panel to our anderson plug at the front of the van do we still need an inverter?

Jedanddave, this question would probably have received a better response if placed in the general tech section and hopefully others more knowledgeable than myself will see it and respond. it was some time ago since you asked.

Are you there Rolex, JR, or OT?

But to attempt an answer to your ? , I presume you meant to ask whether you would still need a regulator on the solar panel, not an inverter. Connecting a portable solar panel to the Anderson plug should work for you, after all the Anderson plug is intended to charge the batteries on the move, but it would depend on how it is wired in your particular case. However I could be wrong and i stand to be corrected.

Cheers

Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi Jed,
I assume you mean do you need a regulator for the solar cell not an inverter.
Depending on the size of the solar cell you use would decide if you need a regulator but I personally would have a regulator to be safe. These cheap solar cells on the net come with a regulator that would do.

Using the Anderson plug at the front of the van should be OK but some vans use unusual ways of feed power to the battery and the fridge and you could have a problem but worth trying and if it has a problem just connect directly to the battery.

Not a good thing letting the battery go flat so best to do something.

JR
:razz:

Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]