Toilets

JoeT

Re: Toilets

Post by JoeT » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:52 pm

also keep in mind that a lot of porta potti are stored under the bed( ours is ) so keep height restrictions like that in mind cheers JoeT

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:41 pm

If it doesn’t fit under the bed for stowage, or is difficult to remove for use, carrying in the rear of the tow vehicle may be an option (unless a sedan). Tenter campers carry theirs in their vehicle satisfactorily.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Sandy & Don

Post by Sandy & Don » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:09 pm

We now have a full ensuite van , previously we used a fiamma . It was too tall for under the bed but I always separated it to put under, during the day and for travel not a problem. And a comfortable sit due to the height for a middle aged lady. :D
Regards Sandy
Sandy & Don grey nomads in training
200 Series Landcruiser GXL 2014 Retreat Magnetic

muzz_on_line

Post by muzz_on_line » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:17 pm

Tony48 – good point about a spout, that would definitely make it easier to empty.

JoeT / Motherhen – Ours will have to stay in the van whilst travelling, but I think I will get a shower / toilet pop up tent for when we are camped. This way if you get caught short in the middle of nowhere whilst travelling, you can still pull up and hop inside for a bit of relief!

Sandy and Don – Is there any issues with separating the top and bottom – re leaks etc. and yes we both know what you mean about the height making it easier.

I think you also have to keep in mind that you are not always in the best of health and that is when you need to make things a little easier!

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi Muzz

We have friends full time on the road with a 16′ caravan, and they chose and external shower and portable toilet when going for the smaller van. I don’t know where they store the toilet, but with shower and toilet tent they seem to cope well.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

JaynPee

Post by JaynPee » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:40 pm

And when you rock up to a dump point for emptying, have an old juice/milk bottle filled with water ready just in case the dump point has no water for rinsing your tank eg Niagara Dam’s dump point tap can be empty after thoughtless visitors have washed their vehicles and vans.

Sandy & Don

Post by Sandy & Don » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi Muzz_on_line
Not a problem , no leaks . I always sat it on a old towel when set up and under the bed .
Regards Sandy
Sandy & Don grey nomads in training
200 Series Landcruiser GXL 2014 Retreat Magnetic

muzz_on_line

Post by muzz_on_line » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:35 am

Motherhen – That is exactly what we will do.

JaynPee – Thanks for that tip.

Sandy – We have carpet between our beds, so maybe I will go the other way and use some thick plastic or similar.

Anyway thank you to everyone, we have purchased our toilet.

A Thetford 365. 21L holding tank with spout that can be moved in any direction, and a piston pump for flushing. It is not too bad for height, just a little less that a standard toilet and is pretty light as well when empty.

Once again, thank you to everyone and I hope others will get some ideas from this thread.

We are very greatful to everyone for their assistance and knowledge.

Happy touring.
Muzz and Colette

Gran’n’Grumps

Post by Gran’n’Grumps » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Enjoy your travels muzz_on_line. Maybe our paths will cross out there somewhere/sometime.

Cheers

Gran ‘n Grumps
Hilux Twin Cab, Jayco Expander 16.49-1

Jen and Ron

Post by Jen and Ron » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:12 pm

thank you to this thread and the replies. Am a newbie on here, and also looking forward to trying free camping and a bit longer in the van than we are used to. Can just about , hopefully , go when and for as long as we like :)

Return to “Free-Camping Equipment”