View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Portable Diesel Heater 

Post Portable Diesel Heater
G’day all,
I just had to share this with you inspite of this post pointing to a particular seller.

For about 5 years I had been toying with how I could portabilise the diesel heaters so as to extensively broaden their use and justify their cost.

I had considered mounting one in a frame not dissimilar to the genni frames with fuel tank on top, heater underneath, plug able power, thermostat, exhaust and ducted hot air out.
Time beat me so I hard fitted one to our van about two year ago. It was difficult fit so that I could get air through the door to annex when required.
Now they are available off the shelf and by way of reference, at least from this site.
http://www.eco-camper.com/component/vir … eater.html

The only other example of this was some time ago when I had heard that Telstra Linies or similar made them to heat the cable pits in the streets. Having the exhaust well away from the ducted air made them particularly safe against toxic gas buildup in confined spaces.

Take one of these type of heaters on the road and use it to heat the workshop or the milk shed when you get back home.
Maybe even the doghouse can be warmed now.

Rgds
Steve

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:55 pm

Post Re: Portable Diesel Heater
I am interested in this ,but the link is corrupt for me.
Cheers.
Titch

Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:29 pm

10:33pm link ok for me, Titch.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:34 pm
Profile WWW

Apologies Tich and Badger,

Not sure why that happens as it works for me.
Try the home page http://www.eco-camper.com/ and select heaters in left hand list.

Hope that works for you and others.

Steve

Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:54 am

Must be my Browser, it opens in compatability mode.
Thank you.
Cheers.
Titch

Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:50 am

Hi there,

I bought a Webasto Diesel Heater kit ($1,680-00), fitted it myself under the bed & it’s fantastic.

The Webasto must draw in the air to be heated from inside the caravan & recycle it through the van.

The thermostat is in the air inlet & as the "Return Air" heats up, the Webasto cuts back on the heating & reduces diesel consumption.

If the air is drawn in from outside the van, the thermostat would always detect cold air & the heater would only operate at maximum heating & be very thirsty.

Also, I doubt that the Webasto heater could increase the outside air from say minus 5 degrees C to plus 20 degrees C. This was the temperature we encountered at Myrtle Park (Tas) in mid May 2011.

The "Portable Heater" must be operated outside the van & appears to draw it’s air to be heated from outside the van & I think it may "Struggle" to heat a van in cold weather. It would also loose heat by being outside the van & in the ducting to the van.

I don’t know if it has "Remote Starting", however if it doesn’t, who gets the job of turning it on when the temp is minus 5 degrees C outside.

I love being able to turn my Webasto on without getting out of bed.

Just my thoughts, for what they are worth.

Tar Trekka.

Any day above the ground is a great day.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]