Blokey Stuff - Talk to Rob (4WD, Tech, Towing etc)

Rob & Marg
An old hand
Location: Oak Flats, NSW - when we're not on the highways of Australia!

Re: Blokey Stuff - Talk to Rob (4WD, Tech, Towing etc)

Post by Rob & Marg » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:09 pm

snowycarter wrote:hi Rob
ive had the car a week and its great to drive especialy up here in the mountains.the suburu was great tonight driving home from cooma.it handled well in the pouring rain.and when i got home there was another 2 simi`s full of machines to be unloaded for the museum.i hope to see you here in town sometime if not this time hopefully another time ide love to catch up and meet you and love to show you around my town and my back yard.i think i have the best backyard around and especialy when its snowing
Rob
Hey Snowy,
If time permits I'll see if I can catch you if we get into Adaminaby or somewhere on the road.
Take care
Cheers
Rob

shenton1
Avid poster

Post by shenton1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:43 pm

coxy45 wrote:G'day Rob, I have noticed that you have a Copper tyre cover on you 'van's spare. Can't buy one anywhere, have even rung Copper's to no avail. Love to know where you bought yours.
Tell me, why bother advertising a product on your van or whatever for nothing?

If they paid you for the advertising then go for it.
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Navigator
2010 Crusader Manhattan

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:28 pm

snowycarter wrote:Hi Rob...i see u said your comming down to Jindi what you got in mind in jindi any plans of visiting any other towns in the snowy such as Adaminaby at all? or just sticking to Jindi?we are the home of the big Trout and we now have the snowy scheme museum here in town... Rob
Hi Rob,

Well, we called in to Jindabyne this morning on the offchance that we might catch you at the museum... but we found that you had gone to Canberra for the day! Howzat????

Anyway, we had a look around to see what you're doing with the museum, and we can see that with the enthusiastic band of volunteers it's going to develop into a great tourist attraction. Well done.

Since we couldn't make contact with you, we settled for Ed!!! LOL. So here we are with the curator of the museum...

Sorry we missed you! Hope we catch up somewhere on the road.

Cheers
Marg & Rob

snowycarter
On a roll

Post by snowycarter » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi Rob
Sorry i missed you and marg i hope you both enjoyed it in Adaminaby.ed told me this morning when i got back from Canberra i hope he was of some help i would have loved to been here hopefully next time.Ed was saying he told you about the easter fair on the saturday ill be there for it on the day and he said he should have told you about the Adaminaby races in November.I havent been on the road now for 2 years sinse my wife died but want to again and im a full time dad to my 6year old daughter.Ed was saying you went out to the lake.i hope you come back and visit ide like to meet you guys sometime Im sorry i missed you but i hope Ed was a good host to you both hopefully you will be back in adaminaby and you liked the town
Rob

Pete and June
Getting the hang of it

Post by Pete and June » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:20 pm

Help me Rob!!! My husband has just made me sit through all of our dvd's with no luck to find out if you fitted the chip to the Isuzu when you first bought it or afterwards. We have ordered a new Isuzu and need your advise please...June

webbo51
On a roll

Post by webbo51 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:33 am

A chap at the CP where we are at the moment has a new Isuzu and he had a Steinbauer chip and Taipan snorkel fitted by the dealer prior to delivery. Could this be an option for you? Would seem like the way to go to me.
Steve & Cecily
2010 Series 4 Pathfinder
17'6" Empire

perdido12
I'm new, be nice!

Post by perdido12 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:00 pm

G'Day Rob & Marg, love your adventure and can't wait for each issue of C & M to arrive in my letterbox. My wife and I are planning our round Australia trip to happen in about 18 months time, our journey follows a similar rout to yours.

In all your DVD's we are yet to get a description of the Kyaks you are travelling with, could you let me know what type etc, what you think of them etc.
Happy travelling

Bill & Karen Cooroy QLD

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:24 pm

Pete and June wrote:Help me Rob!!! My husband has just made me sit through all of our dvd's with no luck to find out if you fitted the chip to the Isuzu when you first bought it or afterwards. We have ordered a new Isuzu and need your advise please...June
Hello there June,
I trust the task of sitting through all the DVD's wasn't all that hard. :lol:
The Steinbauer unit was fitted after we got hold of the Isuzu. I don't think it is a problem to fit it after the purchase, installation took a few hours, then we were away.
Same would go with the exhaust if you are purchasing one of those as well.
Happy travels.
cheers
Rob
ps - thanks webb051 for you comments. cheers

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:32 pm

perdido12 wrote:G'Day Rob & Marg, love your adventure and can't wait for each issue of C & M to arrive in my letterbox. My wife and I are planning our round Australia trip to happen in about 18 months time, our journey follows a similar rout to yours.

In all your DVD's we are yet to get a description of the Kyaks you are travelling with, could you let me know what type etc, what you think of them etc.
Happy travelling

Bill & Karen Cooroy QLD
G'Day Folks,

Thanks for your kind words about the articles and our trip. It's been a ball and we have seen so many wonderful places & met lots of interesting people. I guarantee you'll have a great time when you get out there.
The kayaks we have are Viking Kayaks, Javelin model, and you can find there info at http://www.vikingkayak.com.au/single_kayaks.htm

We have found them to be a good option, either for the small surf or rivers\lakes. They are sit on, therefore may be a little less stable than some of the sit in variety in the surf. Mine is fitted with a rod holder ( goodness knows why given my fishing skills). Units have good dry compartment storage and are easliy handled, eg getting them on & off the car.
We found that we didn't use them a lot when we were up North given crocodiles are generally longer than the kayak.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Rob

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Re: UHF/CB Radio

Post by Rob & Marg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:42 pm

OF1 wrote:Hi Rob,
Please could you give any advice on UHF/CB Radios. What one did you decide on?
My wife and I intended to start doing some long range touring within the next 2 years and eventually (once kids leave Uni and home) yo follow in your footsteps. Where do you start to get the technical now how on these radios? Can you or anyone on the forum get me going?
Thanks
Hedley
G'day Henley,
Sorry about the delay in replying, but I overlooked your post & it went back a page so forgot all about it.
We use a GME radio, model TX3340. Have a look at there web site at http://www.gme.net.au/products/radio-co ... ios/TX3100

Also, accompany the current edition of the C&M Magazine # 155 was another magazine Caravan Tips & Techniques. It has a good article on choosing a CB radio.

Of course, post to the general forum page - Tech Tips, you'll find plenty of people out there willing to help you with advice.

If I could add that if you are considering touring in a van ( or even without ) a CB is almost one of the must have items to go along with you.
Cheers & again sorry about the late response.
Rob

Return to “Talk to Rob”