Girly Stuff - Talk to Marg (Caravan, Shopping, Knitting etc)

glanyard
Rising star

Re: Girly Stuff - Talk to Marg (Caravan, Shopping, Knitting

Post by glanyard » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:24 am

We have been using a round turbo oven for the past three years and they really do a great job.
Can you imagine scones in the bush; start up the gennie and 15 minutes later, turn it off so that it is quiet whilst you have fresh scones for mornos.

Rob & Marg
An old hand
Location: Oak Flats, NSW - when we're not on the highways of Australia!

Post by Rob & Marg » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:56 pm

glanyard wrote:We have been using a round turbo oven for the past three years and they really do a great job. Can you imagine scones in the bush; start up the gennie and 15 minutes later, turn it off so that it is quiet whilst you have fresh scones for mornos.
That sounds toooo good.

Met up with Lorri from the forum today: she has a great recipe for scones that she's going to pass on... using a can of lemonade, flour and long-life cream. Can't wait for that one. Sounds like you'd never run out of ingredients.

Marg

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:38 pm

That is the recipe we use. If you get long life cream you wont have to refridgerate it until opened, however use the left over to go on the scones with the blackberry jam. MMMMMMMMMMM

dream4red
Been here for a while

Post by dream4red » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:42 pm

Marg, I loved your blog on amenities, it was so close to the bone. :lol:
I have issues and need to have an ensuite so that I dont get sick while on tour, but that is only an issue when there are no ensuites. Eden (Nsw) to Bundaberg (Qld) so far have presented us with very few problems in obtaining a site.
But I must share with all, the tiny ensuites that we encountered at Armidale. They were named "the gnome throne" and were amazingly tiny. But we managed to have a dryish shower cubicle to dress in. So far the very best bathroom that we have encountered was at the top tourist at Bundaberg. It was so big that there was even a chair in the dressing area and they had some very cute guard frogs outside the door. (Real green tree frogs and minute black frogs hopping around at all times of the day and night, just wonderful)
I know there are many parts of this country where an ensuite is just not going to appear from the ether, but will have to deal with that as it happens.
Deborah
Sparkles and Soul

Shiny white Prado with a Jayco Sterling 17'6" Poptop behind.

Life is for living, so get out there and live it up

ashnwendy
On a roll

Re: Kayaks

Post by ashnwendy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:01 am

Hello Marg,

First to both you and Rob....Thanks for the latest DVD Katherine to Darwin we really enjoyed it, I think it's the best yet, looking forward to part 2. Loved the interviews with guests.

OK back to forum... Watching you both on your Kayaks, it's something we'd love to do when we are finally off. But knowing nothing about it, could you advise on what type to buy? Ways to strap them to vehicals etc. Or anyone esle? Or any advise would be greatfully taken.
Cheers Wendy
If it is to be it's up to me.
http://blog.travelpod.com/members/ash-wendyfrank
http://www.youtube.com/user/wendyf99?feature=mhee

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:28 am

dream4red wrote:Marg, I loved your blog on amenities, it was so close to the bone. :lol: But I must share with all, the tiny ensuites that we encountered at Armidale. They were named "the gnome throne" and were amazingly tiny. So far the very best bathroom that we have encountered was at the top tourist at Bundaberg. It was so big that there was even a chair in the dressing area and they had some very cute guard frogs outside the door. I know there are many parts of this country where an ensuite is just not going to appear from the ether, but will have to deal with that as it happens.
Hmmm, I must make a note of what to expect at Armidale! :-)
We actually stayed at a caravan park in Whyalla where they cut up old towels to make bathmats for guests... one basket full of clean bathmats; another empty basket to throw the used bathmat in when you've finished your shower. What a great idea! The same place also provided spray bottles of disinfectant and wipes in the laundry: they asked that you spray and wipe out the washing machines when you finished, or if you wanted to be certain you could also use them on a machine before you started the wash cycle. (This was a pet-friendly park, so that might be part of the reason this service was provided... pet blankets?)
Cheers
Marg

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Re: Kayaks

Post by Rob & Marg » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:38 am

ashnwendy wrote:Hello Marg,

First to both you and Rob....Thanks for the latest DVD Katherine to Darwin we really enjoyed it, I think it's the best yet, looking forward to part 2. Loved the interviews with guests. OK back to forum... Watching you both on your Kayaks, it's something we'd love to do when we are finally off. But knowing nothing about it, could you advise on what type to buy? Ways to strap them to vehicals etc. Or anyone esle? Or any advise would be greatfully taken.
Cheers Wendy
Hi Wendy,

Glad you're enjoying the DVDs... hope you found Part II just as good.

Kayak preferences are a very individual thing, so we'd suggest that you spend time doing research and talking to different people (check on the internet too). For example, some people like the ones with rudders; others don't. (Ours have rudders, which we like: you can steer with your feet while paddling.) Some rudders flip up out of the way for storage and for dragging in and out of the water; others stay down.

There are the 'sit-on' kind of kayaks, or the 'sit-in'. We have had both! The sit-on kind are not quite as stable, but you get used to them. (The ones we have on the car now are the sit-on kind.) You might prefer the long, sleek designs or the shorter, wider ones. Rob has done quite a bit of kayaking (still water as well as ocean kayaking) so he had a fair idea of what he wanted; I had no experience at all when we started, so I just went along with his suggestions!

You also have to consider the length and weight. You'll be lifting them on and off the car, so you don't want them to be too heavy.

Roof racks: there are different kinds. We chose the ones with cradles so we could put the kayaks side by side on the roof. Some people have their kayak standing on its side on the roof.

In short, what suits one person may not suit another, so it really is a matter of getting as much info as you can before you start so you get what's right for you. It's a good idea to hire a few different kinds of kayaks before you start so you know how they handle in the water.

You can also sign up for some basic instruction.

Let us know what you choose!

Cheers
Marg & Rob

dream4red
Been here for a while

Post by dream4red » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Marg,
Please dont let my description of the ensuite sites at Armidale put you off. It was the Pembroke Caravan Park and the absolutely gorgeous gardens and surroundings more than made up for the tiny toot! I am sure the bigger communal ammenities block was a little larger than what we had. Apparently the ensuites were built by the local TAFE students as an exercise. I would return in a flash! (and even book another time with the Gnome Throne) :rolleyes:

Deborah
[/size]
Deborah
Sparkles and Soul

Shiny white Prado with a Jayco Sterling 17'6" Poptop behind.

Life is for living, so get out there and live it up

jayem
Avid poster

Post by jayem » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:10 pm

Marg, I noticed on the last DVD that Rob had his hair cut but a fellow traveller but what do you do about yours? BTW, your hair always looks well maintained!

It is not so easy for women to get a reasonable hair cut first time round with a hairdresser so I have been intrigued by what you and other travellers do when away from your own hairdresser for extended periods of time.
Jan

2009 Ford Territory AWD,
2003 Compass Tandem full height
via Kempsey, NSW

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:59 am

dream4red wrote:Marg,
Please dont let my description of the ensuite sites at Armidale put you off. It was the Pembroke Caravan Park and the absolutely gorgeous gardens and surroundings more than made up for the tiny toot! I am sure the bigger communal ammenities block was a little larger than what we had. Apparently the ensuites were built by the local TAFE students as an exercise. I would return in a flash! (and even book another time with the Gnome Throne) :rolleyes: Deborah
[/size]
Yeah, I know what you mean, Deborah.

Some parks we go to have funny little quirks but other things make up for it. In the end, as long as we can get a hot shower and power we're pretty happy! (In fact, we can put up with most things when it comes to amenities blocks... the one thing that will turn us off a park is: disagreeable managers or staff!)

Cheers
Marg

Return to “Talk to Marg”