The importance of adhering to your ATM

Queensmanian

Re: The importance of adhering to your ATM

Post by Queensmanian » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:11 pm

It appears that the caravan industry might be a bit shonky……………..is it time to discuss with ploiticians?

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:00 pm

Queensmanian wrote:It appears that the caravan industry might be a bit shonky……………..is it time to discuss with ploiticians?
Sure go for it…. The only thing they can do for you is put a spin on it…
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:40 pm

Ok so from the horses mouth so to speak spoke to both ACT and NSW today re caravan registrations and weight compliance. Both have a similar requirements. During the registration process a weighbridge cert has to be sighted to ensure the van is not heavier than the weights stated on the Compliance plates. Also weighed is the towball weight.

If modifications have been performed by the seller that take the van over the weight on the compliance plate then the Van has to be recertified if possible. Who pays for that? If the decision to put a generator box or similar, extra batteries etc location was chosen by the seller then the seller pays, if the buyer told the seller where to put the dealer fitted extras then the buyer pays.

I was told the only way to do this whole excercise safely was to load van and tug to what you would normally carry enroute and get the lot weighed at a weighbridge to ensure you are compliant with GVM (gross vehicle mass).Eg if a sign says that a bridge is 5 tonnes limit and the gvm for Tug and Van is 5.1 tonnes then you legally cant cross the bridge.

If your rig weighs 4.5 tonnes or more then you fall under the Heavy Vehicles Rules and being overweight carries incredible fines.

If you are under 4.5 tonnes (where most of us are) then the light Vehicle rules apply and the fines are not quite as horrendous but said the RMS person: police would/could charge you with “Negligent driving not occasioning bodily harm”, “Driving an unroadworthy vehicle” etc… Note if you are driving an unroadworthy vehicle your CTP is rendered useless.

So once again load up and run over a weighbridge just to make sure you are legal…
Blogs;

GerryP

Post by GerryP » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:54 pm

Trev, just to clarify that, when you say “if your rig weighs more than 4.5t” that does NOT refer to the combined mass of the tow vehicle AND trailer – just the tug OR the trailer.

You will find that most larger 4WDs have a GCM well in excess of 4.5t and can still be driven on a normal car licence. For example, my old 79 series Landcruiser was 6.8t and could legally tow up to that limit.

Gerry
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2012 Traveller Sensation Pinnacle 21′
Member VKS737 – mobile 3535

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:33 pm

GerryP wrote:Trev, just to clarify that, when you say “if your rig weighs more than 4.5t” that does NOT refer to the combined mass of the tow vehicle AND trailer – just the tug OR the trailer.

You will find that most larger 4WDs have a GCM well in excess of 4.5t and can still be driven on a normal car licence. For example, my old 79 series Landcruiser was 6.8t and could legally tow up to that limit.

Gerry
No that is the combined CVM (sorry typo) both tug and trailer. So this is the loophole that allows RMS Heavy Vehicle inspectors to pounce on you if they “have reason to believe” that you may be overweight i.e. they know how much your tug should weigh they also know how much an average dual axle van would weigh give or take. When you are coupled up you technicaly become the one vehicle covered by the CTP for the tug for damage your van may cause.

Dont forget you can overload the tug too, if you have 1000kg capacity that also includes the weight on the towball so if your towball weight is 300kg that means you only have 700kg load so fill the tub put a tinny on the roof and you may well be way overweight…

Licencing is a seperate issue…. In NSW you can tow a trailer up to 9 tonnes with a C1 licence BUT you cant because the tug would be over 4.5 tonnes, once the tug gets over 4.5 tonnes you would need a LR (light Rigid) licence… I think….
Blogs;

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:06 am

Better off getting an MR license.

They generally cost about $50 more and have the same testing requirements for the candidate.

MR lets you drive any truck or bus (without paying passengers) with only 2 axles, as well as a whole bunch of machinery such as tractors.

You can also go straight to a HR license and drive any rigid truck as well as a trailer up to 9000kg straight from a car license however the cost is quite a bit more.

An MR license counts towards your time with a heavy vehicle license should you ever wish to have the HC or MC test where as an LR license does not.

There’s no point going from MR to HR, it costs the same to go MR to HC and HC is a more useful license.

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:02 am

Sean wrote:Better off getting an MR license.

They generally cost about $50 more and have the same testing requirements for the candidate.

MR lets you drive any truck or bus (without paying passengers) with only 2 axles, as well as a whole bunch of machinery such as tractors.

You can also go straight to a HR license and drive any rigid truck as well as a trailer up to 9000kg straight from a car license however the cost is quite a bit more.

An MR license counts towards your time with a heavy vehicle license should you ever wish to have the HC or MC test where as an LR license does not.

There’s no point going from MR to HR, it costs the same to go MR to HC and HC is a more useful license.
I get my licence free Cus Im a Pensioner and I’m Ok… But I wonder apart from the fees involved in the training would I get an MR licence free too?
Blogs;

hank

Post by hank » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:46 am

I have a HR licence which I have had for almost 50 years, it used to be called a ‘C’ class and later a class 3. This costs me nothing as I am a pensioner as well, however if you wanted to get one today, I imagine that you will have to do some sort of course to qualify that will cost you plenty and then the test which also costs. Dont know what these charges are but I believe they are quite high.
I think an annual or bi annual test is also required when you get to a certain age.

Hank
Hank and Sue
2012 Prado GXL 3L Turbo Diesel
2011 Royal Flair 21ft Designer series

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:54 am

Probably find that the license fee each year is free, as per your car license.

To get an LR or MR license you’re looking at around $500 and half a day

For a HR or HC (after having held an MR or HR for the prerequisite time period) with some experience in road ranger gear boxes OR getting a license with an Automatic/Syncromesh restriction allow around $1500 and 2 days

There are schemes to assist the unemployed with cheap/free license to assist them in gaining paid employment

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:18 pm

TramcarTrev wrote: I get my licence free Cus Im a Pensioner and I’m Ok… But I wonder apart from the fees involved in the training would I get an MR licence free too?
TT, may I call you Trev?

Seeing as we are getting on so well, could you please PM me your full address?

I have found out that if I use your address, not only can I get a free Driver’s Licence but free Rego for the Tug and van as well.

Warmest Kind regards
Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Return to “Weights & Measures”