View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 thetford C-402c cassette toilet 

Post thetford C-402c cassette toilet
We have had a problem with black algae. build up and have unsuccessfully tried to eradicate it. This week, the 12v electric toilet flush ceased working and I am not sure if something is blocked or the pump has failed. It is not a fuse on my switch board.

I drained the top tank via the sight glass tube. However, I noted that after doing that, there was still water I the top swing-out fill tube. It appeared full.

Q1. How to eliminate the algae

Q2. How to drain the top swing out fill tube
Q3. why was the top fill tube not emptying
Q4. How do I check the pump?
Rossco vw

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Post Re: thetford C-402c cassette toilet
Gooday . To eliminate the algea put a couple of tablespoons full of Nappisan or its generic equivalent in I suspect the tube cannot fully drain because of the algea Mick

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:17 pm

not sure if I had the same model toilet as you have I had a toilet shower combo if it is the same on the right side of the seat there is a lever and flush button , take the lever off and lift the cover off there is the pump and tank for flushing under you can pull the pump out ,a bit hard to flush it out I took the whole out which is a big job not easy the hard part is putting it back and sealing it back

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:51 pm

All I can do is refer you to the manual I'm afraid. Chlorine fixes the Algae.

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PARTS/Perm ... fault.aspx

Sorry but if you can't give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:07 pm

Hi Rossco,
I think others have given you the clues of getting rid of the algae.

I had one of those toilets and never had an issue with algae until I started adding the Thetford pink stuff in the top tank and then out came the algae.

So if you are adding some of that pink stuff that looks nice when flushing stop using it!

JR
:razz:

Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:00 pm

Thanks One and All.
I stopped using the pink stuff when the algae became a problem. Have since added a few drops of household detergent and more eucalyptus oil to ensure the seals were well lubed. I have read the manual and will pull the pump out and see if I can clear the impeller. Once I get his done, I will use some chlorine to eliminate the algae. Will keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks.

Rosscoe.vw

Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:23 pm

J.REEVES wrote:
Hi Rossco,
I think others have given you the clues of getting rid of the algae.

I had one of those toilets and never had an issue with algae until I started adding the Thetford pink stuff in the top tank and then out came the algae.

So if you are adding some of that pink stuff that looks nice when flushing stop using it!

JR
:razz:

Ditto. I blamed the pink stuff
Sid

Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:45 am

Rossco.vw wrote:
Thanks One and All.
I stopped using the pink stuff when the algae became a problem. Have since added a few drops of household detergent and more eucalyptus oil to ensure the seals were well lubed. I have read the manual and will pull the pump out and see if I can clear the impeller. Once I get his done, I will use some chlorine to eliminate the algae. Will keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks.

Rosscoe.vw

Just be carful with the eucalyptus oil. It is very good stuff. I use it for a lot of things including washing floors. I once put a capful into a carpet shampooer and it destroyed the plastic tank. It seems that some plastics are OK yet it will melt others.
Sid

Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:51 am

Recently had the problem with the flush pump as well. My expanda has been parked for nearly 3 years as spare bedroom at my beachside shack. I'm getting the itch for a drive next year and thought I'd better see how it's going.
Replaced HWS anode then tried to flush loo. No good.
There was a blown 3amp fuse inside the unit where the cassette slides in. LH side behind a clipped in plastic cover. I replaced that but still no good. Removed the old pump and impellor was jammed so hard I couldn't spin it with needle-nose pliers. Original thetford one was priced around $100!!!! :o
I found exactly the same pump at Whitworths Marine (catalogue# 67259) for $29.95. Wired it in and goes great, and the saving keeps me in beer for few extra weekends. :)

Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]