View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 12 volt DVD Recorders or Movie players 

Post 12 volt DVD Recorders or Movie players
Hi all,

Been looking into a 12 volt DVR type box that store our movies on so we can play back when we are over the horizon and far away (no satellite) and have found this one.
http://www.noontec.com.au/?m=Product&v=Default&i=82
We have hundreds of commercial DVD’s (legit ones) some are still in their un-opened retail packs. My wife is a movie buff and went a bit nuts buying up a collection even though she never gets time to watch them so wanted a way of copying most of them onto a HDD for viewing on a rainy day.

Has anyone used one of these and or what do you do for movies on the road?

Cheers,
ALLAN

Paulownia Cabinetry, All 12 volt & Self Sufficient
When its finished WE retire.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:26 pm

Post Re: 12 volt DVD Recorders or Movie players
Do you have a laptop? or does your TV have a USB input? Just thinking about an external hard drive. They usually are powered by a 240-12V transformer, so you can cut that out and power directly from 12V.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi Allan,
I have found that having a multi media player like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Astone-A108- ... 258566c1c4
is a good option and have your movies stored on a portable hard disc like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toshiba-2TB- ... 2ecc29b3c0
Power the HD from the multi media player USB which is then powered from the van 12V.

By using a multimedia player you have the ability to drill down through files on the hard disc to locate movies but on many devices unless the movies are on the top level they cannot be found.
Also the device needs to be able to read DivX as this format is used regularly for movie recordings.
Naturally you will still need a DVD radio player and there could be one that is a multi media player as well but can they drill down into a hard disc and have the latest formats available not sure.

Many movies are available on the Net legal or not but thanks to my kids I have a large collection on a portable hard disc but still use DVD’s. Just picked up the full set of the Honeymooners and when in the outback in some of those small towns that have a junk shop I often pick up some good old movies for pittance.
Attachment:
honey.JPG
honey.JPG [ 30.47 KiB | Viewed 523 times ]

P.S. I have not used the play you have posted.

JR
:razz:

Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:44 am

Dunno why yooz blokes need to do this :rolleyes:

Two years ago I posted this... viewtopic.php?p=121600#p121600 .... and we still haven't played it :o

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:54 am

Old Techo wrote:
Dunno why yooz blokes need to do this :rolleyes:

Two years ago I posted this... viewtopic.php?p=121600#p121600 .... and we still haven't played it :o

Hi OT,
I guess because we are all different!

JR
:razz:

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:16 am

J.REEVES wrote:
I guess because we are all different!
Fair enuff JR..... and you have demonstrated that.

The Honeymooners :?: :shock: :o :mrgreen:

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:29 am

Hi Bussy,

I use a Western Digital Media Player & a W D Portable Hard Drive.

The Media Player is plugged into 12 Volts & it powers the Hard Drive.

The Media Player is connected to the TV with a HDMI Cable.

A Portable Hard Drive can't be connected to my TV, as it doesn't have a USB Port.

However, if your TV is 12 volts, has a USB Port & can accept a Portable Hard Drive, (or a USB Flash Drive Stick) you are home & hosed.

Tar Trekka

Any day above the ground is a great day.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Just bought the WD media player with built in 1TB hard drive from Officeworks.

Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to play with it yet as it's getting wrapped up in Christmas paper... :cry:

Member VKS737 - mobile 3535

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:08 pm

I have a westerndigital player with a 2 terabite inbuilt hardrive .I use it at home and on the road.Is the best thing,its got 800 plus movies and 56 tv series on it and still its not full.All ways got something to watch Yours Loub :razz: :razz: :razz:

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:05 am

Thanks guys, some good feed back on this.

BR&C yes I have more laptops & tablets than I have fingers, in fact a whole IT company behind me but I did not want to have to run a movie that way.
This is for my wife’s use as I hardly get time to watch any television & she lives & breathes TV shows so wanted it to be dummy proof if you know what I mean and not have her calling out when something does not work.
My TV is a Kogan 12 volt job with USB recorder hard drive so ok with that and I think Tartrekka has hit then nail on the head with that WD media player. Just downloaded the tech spec’s and the sweetener is I can buy these things wholesale so will get one on appro to play with and see if wifey can manage its use. Then just have to copy all her movies to it and let you all know how it went.

GerryP can give his feedback as well once Santa comes and he can play with his new toy.

I hear you LOUB. It might just be the answer as I see the WD can accept an external drive as well as the internal so just have to plug in another 1 TB or so, as required and format it out for her so heaps of storage.

OT, I gotta take the piss out of you here (with all due respect). You appear not to like things to be different. I got that impression from the coffee thread and your comments about how you “always like your coffee, to be always exactly the same” thread and was going to post “so if your sex is not always exactly the same, you don’t do it’? but I didn’t. I thought of it at the time but bugger it I am saying it now!
I think what JR was saying is there are gems to be found in some most unexpected places and I have done the same in old second hand book shops around the country. Yes the honeymooner’s looks like it is not my cup of tea but who knows might get a laugh out of it too.

JR – Hopefully it will be TV off and one big honeymoon when I hit the road but “she” might just want to watch a show or two during rests.

Cheers,
ALLAN

Paulownia Cabinetry, All 12 volt & Self Sufficient
When its finished WE retire.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next