Using meat & fish smokers at home

A place to share ideas, recipes, techniques and all things cooking; whether it be at the stove or round the BBQ.
dieseltojo
Major contributor

Re: Using meat & fish smokers at home

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:49 am

A’van wrote:Isn’t cold smoke the best?
I’ve seen one that had about a meter of 100 mm gal pipe between the fire and where you hang the meat, that was supposed to cool the smoke enough.

Hans
Hi Hans, good or better is not really the thing in smoking stuff. Its more about immediate eating or preserving food. :)

What I have featured is hot smoking alright, and though smoked, it is for flavour. This food is the same as cooked, must not be kept, and can be cryovaced or frozen.

Cold smoking is for preservation in the long term. It involves as you say a smoke box to hang the goods in and a pipe going to a smokey fire. The smoke box where the food hangs is acting as a chimney. So it is a much cooler smoke on the product and it preserves without cooking the product.

This method is ancient and is also good for cheese and especially bacon that will render, (melt the fat ), in hot smoke. If I try to smoke bacon on my outfit all I will get is roast pork… :)

In Europe they had chimneys as wide as the room and hung the speck, Pork belly, in the edge of the smoke away from the fire. Then cut bits off when needed.

Damn…them Vikings were good…. :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:08 pm

This looks like a good deal for those interested in having a go….

Euro-Grille 3in1 Charcoal Smoker
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Euro-Gri … SwDiBZMK1w

$63 using the discount code CRACKA20
Valid till June 11th
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lance & Anne
……always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:04 am

What a good find Lance,
I have a guillotine and a folder and I could not make that for the price, and delivered.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Return to “Cook’s Corner”