My hand is on the bible….

A place to share ideas, recipes, techniques and all things cooking; whether it be at the stove or round the BBQ.
dieseltojo
Major contributor

My hand is on the bible….

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Honestly A mate comes over and is watching me cook on the Webber.
“I hate having to time things he says”
“Nuthin in it” I say. I show him my three little egg times hanging up near the Webber, filled with sand.
One is 3 min, one is 5 min, and one is 7 min. “dead easy” I say.

“Year, but you still have to watch them he says”.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

rredbeak
Major contributor

Re: My hand is on the bible….

Post by rredbeak » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:19 pm

my rellies are like that.cant throw them out…lol…
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:29 pm

DT, what do you time?

Roasts, cakes, making bread?
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:47 pm

OOhhh…………..does cooking require timing :neutral:
Whack it on the fire and take it off when ya hungry enough :)

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:07 pm

I probably wouldn’t need to if I gave up drinking whilst barbecuing. :)

I like to time many things, but lamb chops of a certain thickness might take 3 min: as do steaks. (each side)

Thick steaks might like the 5 min turn, but depends on what’s cooking. Trudy likes hers well done so some times I use two timers.

Makes my life easy, I used to time with a watch , walk away and didn’t keep an eye in the second hand….. :)

Pizzas are ok at say 20 min as you can follow that on a watch alright. I even find some sausages from different butchers take different times.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18′ poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:35 pm

Don’t need a timer for my steak, get the plate hot by cooking everything else, put my steak on 1, 2, 3, …… 8, 9, 10 turn it over 1 ………………… 10 put it on the plate

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:53 am

He He, and the poor cows around your house are all limping…… :)
1929 Pop Top

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:35 am

I have been BBQing for 45 years and never used timing for cooking anything. Recently my 35 year old son with a new BBQ asked how I timed the meat cooking. I explained that I cook purely by feel and some instinct.

Whilst dead cold I clean the BBQ plate (never clean it after cooking) by scraping fat and other remnants onto paper towel and fire up the gas.

Return 5 to 7 minutes later and clean again with the scraper that I deliberately left over the plate gas vent to sterilise by heat.

Squirt on some oil and chuck on the meat. Walk away and wander into the house to do a couple of things and have a sip of the red.

Back to the BBQ and turn the meat. Wander off to the house and fiddle around some more. Never look at the clock. Instinct reckons about long enough so grab a hot plate from the oven and back to the BBQ. Poke the meat with the tongs to ‘feel’ if cooked enough and chuck on the hot dinner plate, back to oven. If the meat is not quite done, take the empty plate back to the oven and try again after another sip of red and a quick email check on my pooter.

In fact I have no idea how much time has expired from meat on to meat off. Off course it will vary with thick meat versus thin meat. All assessments are done by poking with the tongs to feel if cooked enough. Firm for well done (for those poor people that hate the sight of blood) and a bit squishy for me, meaning medium rare.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Cyclone
Rising star

Post by Cyclone » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:35 am

I do a lot of roast in the Weber. Lately I have been using a thermometer to check the core temperature of the meat. I find this very accurate. You can be buy them from most BBQ suppliers. I have a temperature meter and K type probe that I use to calibrate ovens. The wire is about 1 meter long and stiff enough to push into the meat.
Sid
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

muzz_on_line
An old hand

Post by muzz_on_line » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:21 pm

I managed to get hold of a roasting thermometer with a short probe that had a threaded mount. The big green shed had them for around $20. The lid of the BabyQ looked like it was aluminium so I drilled a hole above the handle (high enough so your hand would not touch the bezel of the thermometer) and mounted the thermometer there.

It has been great for roasts and even when we do pork chops.

Best accessory I have had for the BabyQ.

Muzz

Return to “Cook’s Corner”