Peperonata on a Webber

A place to share ideas, recipes, techniques and all things cooking; whether it be at the stove or round the BBQ.
dieseltojo
Major contributor

Peperonata on a Webber

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:07 am

Old Italian recipe……….. Roasted Peperonata
I decided to post this as it is a good recipe to make on the Weber baby q I think mine is the Baby Q (Q1200) series with a domed lid and temp gauge. I like it as it can fit higher product and in this case I had the thing really full of vegies and it just closed. Total cooking time was 1 hour and ten minutes for the capsicums and onions.
A bit smaller meal might need to be done if using the smaller model. Not a bad idea either as you might want to just make a trial run.
The whole point is to easily make a meal on holiday.
The Weber is used on high with the lid closed.
Ingredients….. I used.
4 large red paprika. You can use Yellow but don’t use green. Not as good.
2 large onions
6 small tomatoes
3 hot peppers. Jalapeno
About a teaspoon of salt but done to taste.
A splash of balsamic vinegar
Some olive oil to mix as the final ingredient.
Cost wise this is pretty cheap even though you do get a lot of loss in skins and peels. The capsicums and tomatoes are only $2-00 per kilo each and onions are similar at our Dandenong market, probably a bit more in supermarkets.
If you look for this recipe on the internet there are many. But this method was used buy my friends in Sicily as long as their collective memories can recall, and don over a wood fire and coals. Not because they liked a barby but that’s how all cooking was done.
Ok
The jalapeno peppers only need a bit of browning or they will burn easily. Cut them small, seeds and all and place into a bowl. If you like your food hot you can add chilli powder in the form of cayenne pepper or ground up Jalapeno’s.
Pic 1 shows the goods on the hot plate after a wash and the stems of the capsicums cut down to the base. Every piece including the tomatoes have been stabbed with a sharp knife.
Pic 2 shows the stages of the cooking. Total cooking time was 1 hour and ten minutes for the capsicums and onions.
The system is to turn the capsicums and onions every 10 minutes after they get a bit black.
In actuality the tomatoes might take only 5 minute turn intervals as they are thin skinned and you will soon know when they are ready to peel. They will soften and cook quickly. The skin comes off easily and then just slice them up. Do it on a board at the sink and discard most seeds and juice.
Put them into a bowl with the Jalapeno peppers.
The skins of the capsicums will be peeled off. One at a time, pull out the stem, cut them into quarters and remove all seeds and obvious pith. Turn them over onto the centre part so the skins are uppermost and peel off all the shin. Remove all the burnt skin and the un-burnt skin. Slice them into one centimetre strips (1/2 inch) and put into the bowl with the tomatoes. Do the best you can but don’t stress…it’s your first attempt, and they will be excellent…..
I know you will read on the internet to put the cooked capsicums in a plastic bag etc. to make the skinning easier, but I do it straight after cooling and have no problems.

So everything is in the one bowl and you add a splash of Balsamic Vinegar and a little olive oil to blend; don’t drown it.
Let it cool and it is great straight on chunks of bread or as a pizza with a bit of cheese topping.
pic 1

Pic 2
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Re: Peperonata on a Webber

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:12 am

Pic 3

pic 4
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:22 am

pic 5 ………… Getting nicley burned. :)

pic 6 , in the bowl for peeling off the burned skin.
1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:30 am

pic 7, on the cutting board and peeling then cut into strips. Discard seeds.

pic 8, Everything in the bowl and ready for any seasoning in the way of salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar to taste.
Note also that there is a fair bit of oil in peppers, so tip some off prior to adding a little olive oil.

1929 Pop Top

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18′ poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:31 am

We have with friends who do this but don’t use chilies, is also nice

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:36 am

Peperonata is a great addition to a salad, or alone with some nice fresh bread.
Just spread some on a Pita bread and on a pizza stone for a delicious quick pizza. Iuse a grill and foil under the stone as it prevents burning. But mine is the raised lid model.

1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:41 am

Hi Frank I thought I was the only night owl today…. :)
1929 Pop Top

Ancient Mariner
Avid poster

Post by Ancient Mariner » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:35 pm

Hey Diesel,
My Nonna gave this recipe some 50 years ago and old Sicilian one she told me, now I know its true, not that I would ever have doubted her!
Graham

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18′ poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:58 pm

dieseltojo wrote:Hi Frank I thought I was the only night owl today…. :)
nught before last I was awake from 2 till 5 then got up at 6 :evil:
at least last night I slept till 4

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:46 pm

Peperonata will do that to ya…… :)
1929 Pop Top

Return to “Cook’s Corner”