Emu chases dog, man chases emu

Have some Happy Hour stories you want to share?
We would love to hear your yarns about the good times you’ve had and the great people you’ve met along the road.

>>>> Share them here for the chance to have your yarn featured in an upcoming issue.!!! <<<<
Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18′ poptop

Emu chases dog, man chases emu

Post by Frank & Brenda » Thu May 19, 2011 9:53 am

The following is an extract from thr blog from our first trip in 2007 ( www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com ) this happened on Wednesday 23rd of May, to this day if Kia our little Maltese X shih Tzu sees an emu she still growls

this morning, 6am mind you, I still can’t sleep in, I took Kia out for a walk, we rarely take her off the lead because of the possibility of dingo or eagle attacks, but being so early I thought it would be safe for a while to let her, let off some steam, so she was running around having a mad minute when the local emu thought she was having too much fun, jumped the fence and off after Kia, she took off like a rocket towards the caravan with the emu in hot pursuit and me chasing the emu in case it caught up with Kia I would have had to kick up the kiber to make it let go, if anyone was watching they must have wet themselves at the sight of a little dog chased by a big bird, chased by an even bigger guy, the dog barking, the emu thumping and the old feller panting. As it turns out the dogs here at the station give the local emus some curry, so they get their own back on any little dogs that come in, so now when Kia sees the emu she runs between my legs and growls at the emu

Frank

LeanneTomkins
Ex-staff

Re: Emu chases dog, man chases emu

Post by LeanneTomkins » Thu May 19, 2011 10:41 am

That’s a great story! Wish I’d been there to see it!
Leanne Tomkins

C&M Production Editor
[email protected]

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18′ poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Thu May 19, 2011 11:29 am

Leanne you have PM
0705230103.JPG
Brenda and Kia at Curtin springs
0707100051.JPG
Kia (at 14 mnths) posing next to HUGE :???: termite mound

Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Badger
Cracked the big time

Post by Badger » Thu May 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Holy crap, that is one HUGE dog !!!!!!!

beejay
Been here for a while

Post by beejay » Thu May 19, 2011 5:55 pm

Good exercise for you Frank, but still funy. Good to see the curtain springs caravan park has not changed a bit since we were there in 1988. Regards Beejay

bluebus
An old hand

Post by bluebus » Thu May 19, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi Frank. :razz:
when is the funniest home video coming out. :lol: :rolleyes:

Karen,Ron and the Girls. :mrgreen:

Just coasting along. :lol: :lol: :lol:

diesel
Cracked the big time

Post by diesel » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:48 pm

G’day Frank,

I had a good chuckle about your incident with the emu – we had a similar thing happen at the same place (Curtin Springs) in 2008.

We had driven from Docker River that day and when we pulled into the camp area at Curtin Springs I saw a rather friendly emu wandering around, but didn’t realize that it had walked over and stood at the back of our van. I let our kelpie out for a very overdue stretch of the legs and she just happened to walk around the back of the van and straight into the emu. I knew we had a very speedy dog, but had no idea that she could outrun an emu – although it was her cornering that won the race.

A bloke came over and said that our dog was about the 7th or 8th that the bird had chased that afternoon so I settled in with a beer and waited for the next one – an extremely funny thing to watch. Around about half an hour later a young Japanese guy came in on a dirt bike all loaded up with his travelling gear and that’s when the fun really began. The emu wasn’t real keen on dogs, but it absolutely hated motorbikes – they did a couple of laps around the camp area with the emu only about half a metre behind the bike when the Jap guy decided enough was enough. He went back out the gate and onto the Lassiter Highway with the bird right in behind him and we didn’t see him again – he kept going. The emu just sauntered back into the camp area to the cheers of us all. Great stuff.

diesel 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Titch
Been here for a while

Post by Titch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:58 pm

Sad thing is my Babyq is too small for the bird :lol:
Titch

JaynPee
Been here for a while

Post by JaynPee » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:30 pm

Picture the scene- late afternoon in spring time, camp fire burning gently, us sitting enjoying a quiet drink, van set up for a few days digging for emeralds out in the scrub. Our 2 dogs were with us- old (and extremely lazy) bluey was not tied up, just resting beside us, 4 month old pup was tied up, sound alseep. Two curious emus came to check us out, closer, closer. Old dog watching, absolutely still. Emus were now within a couple of metres of where we were sitting. Pup rolled over, opened her eyes, saw emus, leapt up yipping, lost her voice, emus took off, old bluey after them, flat out. Best thing that ever happened to her, gave her a new lease on life, a spring in her step. At home, bone idle, take her out bush and she’d become a new dog again, looking for another emu to see off.

Return to “Happy Hour”