Last visit was: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:01 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics
It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:01 am
View unread posts | View new posts | View your posts

[ 10 posts ] 
 pop top - full van reno? 

Post pop top - full van reno?
I am thinking of converted our 16' pop top to a full hieght van in favour of trading it :???:
Anyone had experience with type of reno? Can't be too hard can it :?: :?:

Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:44 am Profile

Post Re: pop top - full van reno?
:o No feedback from anyone :?: Obviously not the done thing :!: I'll have to put my thinking cap on to see if it's worth it or not. :confused:

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:56 pm Profile

Hi Millsy,

Never seen it done before, but that does not mean it can't or hasn't. Being reasonably mechanically minded, I don't see any major structural issues, just a bit of messing around removing the top half and extending the walls up to full height etc. Mind you, it's basically framing and lining, with some electrics thrown in for lights. I can see some fiddling around with overhead cupboards as they would all be too low and there may be an issue in matching the outer cladding, but I'm sure it can all be accomplished by someone with the required skills.

Cheers and good luck.

Gerry

Member VKS737 - mobile 3535

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:53 am Profile

Hi GerryP, Was beginning to think there was nobody prepared to answer this one so thanks for your input.
Two heads (or more) are always better than one especially when in uncharterd waters.
I am an ex chippy/joiner but no experience in the construction of caravans.You have confirmed all the issues that I had in mind.
The overhead cupboards will need to be renewed which will also help strengthen the additional hieght. Food for thought. Cheers 8-)

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:40 am Profile

It's a pity you're not in Adelaide as I could put you on to an excellent caravan repairer/builder who would be more than happy to give you some hints. Maybe there's an equivalent company around your way that someone may know about?

Cheers
Gerry

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:04 am Profile

Hi Millsy,
Yes I must admit I did avoid your question as it sounded a bit hard to me and I did not want to give to many negative vibes.

The problems I see are, not saying it can’t be done:

The cladding is fitted from the top to bottom so to work the clapping into the existing cladding you will need to start removing it from the bottom first. Probably better to just have some kind of join strip and leave the existing cladding allow.

The same for the roof use a join strip.

I would rebuild the entire roof.

The interior again would need some kind of join, probably cover the join with new top cupboards.

Naturally you will need to have a good join/bond where the new top side walls attach to the existing walls. Is the van wood or aluminium frame.

I guess the level of how hard it will be is related to how good a job you want and how much money you will spend.

I personally would look at trying to obtain a full size van instead of modifying. Don’t forget that you will be looking at a couple of thousand dollars for the materials to do it.

One last negative, I know that if you build a van completely there is no engineering requirements but if you modify an existing manufacturers design then it must have an engineer certificate.
Best not let the rego run out while modifying.

JR
:razz:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:37 am Profile

Hi millsy,
Same reasons as JR for not looking at your question. I reckon it would look like a dogs breakfast. On a pop top the rake on the van stops in the down position. Then to go up vertically will not be presentable and less than aero dynamic.
You would only get away with it if the van will stay on site in a permanent situation.
Sorry to be negative.

sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess retired.
Avan Tayla 17'6" With self fitted Loo and Shower.
2004 Toyota 100 series TD Auto

Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:19 am Profile

At last we have action :shock:
What too hard for you JR after what I've seen of your capabilities I don't think. so :lol:
And yes diesiltojo you make valid comments that need to be considered :( Thanks for all the info guys. The other half says "No don't do it, it'll be laid up for ages". Oh well anyone want a 16' pop top :?:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:17 am Profile

GerryP wrote:
It's a pity you're not in Adelaide as I could put you on to an excellent caravan repairer/builder who would be more than happy to give you some hints. Maybe there's an equivalent company around your way that someone may know about?

Cheers
Gerry

hi mate i live in adelaide and have a need for a good caravan repairer please advise

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:48 am Profile

bricki wrote:
GerryP wrote:

Cheers
Gerry

hi mate i live in adelaide and have a need for a good caravan repairer please advise

Hi Brick - Have a chat with Larry Weepers at Roadmaster, Lonsdale, ph: 83846011. He is extremely helpful and will support and advise you on any DIY jobs you wish to undertake. I've had a fair amount of work done by him and am more than satisfied with both quality and cost. Mention my name (Gerry) if you want mate - might cost yer an extra 10% though... LOL :razz:

Cheers
Gerry

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:31 am Profile
 [ 10 posts ]