Last visit was: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:04 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics
It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:04 am
View unread posts | View new posts | View your posts

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 homemade van no 2 

Post homemade van no 2
This is the start of my 2nd homemade caravan ,This time im building a 19 ft van with 2 full size bunks and a queen bed ,its going to have an out door kitchen opening up from the rear of the van .im using a product called MONOPAN this time ,will save alot of time on the build as there is no need for any frame work .last weekend i started the chassis and next week i hope to start the body . the build should only take 2 months doing everything my self i hope :razz

Attachments:

IMG_0517.JPG [ 35.4 KiB | Viewed 1142 times ]

IMG_0518.JPG [ 36.92 KiB | Viewed 1142 times ]
Thu May 24, 2012 9:30 am Profile

Post Re: homemade van no 2
hi pedro2-5
looks like a strong chassis what size is your steel
keep lots of detailed info and pics coming
look forward to your next post
cheers andrew

Thu May 24, 2012 10:14 am Profile

Hay Pedro2-5,

Welcome to the darkside, or should i say the liteside you'll love the Monopan and the splinters that come with it, i used gardening gloves over rubber gloves and no more splinters.

You just beat me to the post (so to speak) i have just about finished my plans for my next van, apart from a change of plan today with kitchen i shouldnt be far behind you.

We will rule the highways, watch out BUSSY we're comin for ya.

Cheers Robert.

Thu May 24, 2012 11:48 am Profile

Hi Andrew , the main rails are 50 x 100 x 3mm .the cross members are 50 x 50 x 1.6 .and the drawbar is 150 x 50 x 2mm .the suspension is good for 2000kg and im using brakes on both axles .qld rules state i only need brakes on one axle but better to be on the safer side when it comes to stopping in a hurry.im hoping for a tare weight of aroung 1300kg

Fri May 25, 2012 7:45 am Profile

Hi Rob do you have any pics of the corner trim you used onthe outside of your van ?

Fri May 25, 2012 8:17 am Profile

Hi pedro,

I used 40X40X1.6MM ally it was painted in 2 pak i cut out the courner so that the ally would roll over end grain then cut a piece to suit out of some sheet and fitted it in the curve.

Cheers Robert.

Fri May 25, 2012 8:25 am Profile

I picked up the monopan today ,looks like i have an ikea flatpack caravan.. now its full steam ahead.... :razz:

Attachments:

IMG_0553.JPG [ 31.37 KiB | Viewed 960 times ]
Mon May 28, 2012 8:49 am Profile

Hey pedro2-5 looks like a interesting build thread. I too would like to build a van using monopan. Not sure why its not more popular. Just out of interest as a fellow brisbaneit you are following the VSB for light trailers in qld? It seems to be a pretty board with its rules. When you welded the cross bars to the main chassis rails did you weld vertical and horizontal or just horizontal? I phoned transport vehicle compliance and was told "Good engineering practice" deems horizontal to be the better opinion.
It has been very hard to obtain info from caravan/trailer companies regarding this and so many more questions.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:39 pm Profile

Hi PEDRO2-5, I’ve been watching your build thread too. Just my observation and thinking, those cross members being 50 x 50 x 1.5 mm are a bit on the light side given their span and particularly in the front section of your chassis where the draw bar is. The front couple of cross members will flex a lot given the draw bar has nothing substantial to “lean on”. I have used 50 x 50 x 1.6 mm in my bridging beams (between the cross members and a much shorter span) and you can feel them flex when walking on my floor.
What are you using as the flooring sheet? I presume 30mm Monopan. I would avoid the Pantec product as it is inclined to de-laminate in patches like mine has in two spots. One under the bed area so no big deal but one right in the main area in front of the fridge, bugger!

Good luck with it all and keep the photo’s coming.

Cheers,
ALLAN

Paulownia Cabinetry, All 12 volt & Self Sufficient.
When its finished WE retire.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:36 am Profile

g'day pedro, if you don't mind can i ask how much the monopan cost, pm me if you prefer. I'm looking at starting a very similar design to your in the next few months, i'm still toying up which way to go with the walls, i like the look of the vanglass product, its just a shame its so expensive, my other option was to go with a timber frame clad in either aluminium or fiberglass sheet.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:40 am Profile
 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next