Updated Shower install into the Avan Caravan with pics

Share your inventions, innovations & ideas - words are good but images are GREAT!
dieseltojo
Major contributor

Re: Updated Shower install into the Avan Caravan with pics

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:38 am

I spent 9 months doing up the van for remote travel, and we love traveling the back roads to nowhere. One thing leads to another with renovations, including full independent solar supply, new batteries, raising the van and stronger spring’s etc.so it is hard to pull selected items out and cost them. Doing the work myself also clouds the issue as I don't think the project is viable if tradesmen had to be paid for the work. Best way is to make a list of your requirements and get you material cost right. Then see a professional and get a quote. This will either make you drop it, get it done or motivate you to go ahead.
You have to consider total all up weight, with this type of installation. The total all up weight with 300 litres of water comes in at 2200 kg with a ball weight of 200 kg. This is ok for me as the tug is a 100 series Land cruiser

This was the Avan mobs idea of balance. The heaviest item in one corner right at the rear of the van.

I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:53 am

See this is where I had to get real. to do it or not

My battery was under the seat i had to remove too. I shifted the battery position to the other side of the van. I labelled all the wires, and ran them all new in six mm B&s I think it was; and started from scratch.
This was a total overhaul. I diced all those cheap so called Scotch connections.
I went from Zero to Vacuum WC and Shower. Extra tanks, solenoid controlled. Seperate Drink supply including pump. Solar panels and a gas space heater.

And just for good measure I installed a Truma caravan Mover. No one said all this stuff was easy ....and I am a humble plumber. I installed solenoids on all the tanks that work independently. they all work due to JR's drawing to me on direct wiring of the water pump.

Has it all been worth it? You bet. Not a sinlge thing has failed. Many kays of rough roads and nothing came adrift.

Thank heavens for that man Colyn Rivers who wrote the elec book on what to do. And a few able Forum buddies re advice mainly JR and OT...... :)

Oh yes, the controversial battery install has been no problem either......It might not look like it though.

I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:16 am

Not much left to say. The vans internal toilet walls are polystyrene filled the canvas slides into the alcove when the top goes down. It has a top quality variable speed fan in the roof . All good. The vacuum toilet works a treat and you get very little odor at all. :)

That's how it looks. The pink on the toilet window is an external reflection.

The Coated canvas is a match from Tebbs Blinds. A carpet fitter mate sewed it for me but Tebbs could have made it. I fitted ally angle to the ceiling and it has velcro at the top of the partition.

1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:24 am

Internal view shows the pedal system on the WC and the built in basin. The WC is similar to ship units and those on planes The holding tank can be up to 4 metres away, no problem. Mine is set up on the rear bar.It is just a vac pump and a 14 litre tank.I carry a spare tank as well.

This is how it looks when the pop top is lowered and the canvas has simply slid down int the cubicle. Notice the shower floor is raised due to being installed over the wheel arch. It might seem a problem but it aided to get a decent fall for the water. I am 5'9 tall, so no probs even for a six footer.
1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:38 am

The external window Robbin Hood cover is easily opened, but is left shut mostly.

Not pretty, but that lightweight ally box hold the spare 14 ltr tank. No comments on a van wash guys..... :) You had to be there.

1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:21 am

Here is a pic of the spare tank and the actual WC tank covered on the right. I have found that ease of access to the Vacuum tank and ease of removal the most important things in placing this unit.

Them what want to tut tut over anything at all on the rear bar, please do so somewhere else. I didn't post all this just to argue with some one over it. Damn....that beer looks great though don't it. :)
1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:35 am

I thought I should mention that the shower base came from Jayco in Dandenong. I was going to build one from Stainless Steel, but considered that it would be very cold to stand on. Also the Jayco one was exactly the correct size and a 10 min trip from where I live.

I was a bit surprised how help full Jayco were, even walking me through the plant to locate the unit I wanted. I made no secret that I had an Avan.....Maybe they were commiserating with me. :)

A lot of the hardware etc came from a caravan bits supplier called a Carac, but all this work I did several years ago and they moved to another shop and also now have gone way backwards in supplies to the trade. Award RV Super Store in Fer Tre Gully is my preferd supplier these days.
I have no affiliation with any company at all though.
1929 Pop Top

rredbeak
Major contributor

Post by rredbeak » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:49 am

first impressions its incredible.
then i looked closer n realised how much work n effort there is. its beautifull. love all the other mods too...absolutely love it.. cheers rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

Return to “PICS - unsung inventions & ideas”