Updated Shower install into the Avan Caravan with pics

Share your inventions, innovations & ideas – words are good but images are GREAT!
dieseltojo
Major contributor

Updated Shower install into the Avan Caravan with pics

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:26 am

How I Installed shower and toilet into our A’van Tayla a 17’6’’ Pop Top.
This is an update as all the phot-bucket pics have been disabled in my original thread. This is not the easiest of projects. Unlike most installations it is not in a corner of the van but in the centre above the wheel arch, on the right hand side, that is driver side, in the spot where a two-seater couch used to be. The toilet is a Dometic v2500 vacuum unit and is IMHO the best unit I have ever used. These toilets are now discontinued as Dometic no longer import them.
It enables the waste tank to be placed within six meters of the throne and is easy to remove and empty. The thing with these units, and i have seen a few installations, they are a pain to fit correctly and even small errors can cause large problems. Shortcuts by installers, ignoring directions and a few worrying design faults were the problem. The can still be sourced from boat chandlers though in different configs and names, where they are highly prized.
I have no connections with any suppliers etc.
Pic 1 original van dims.

This shows the proposed new lay out. Pic 2 proposed install lay out.

I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Re: Updated Shower install into the Avan Caravan with pics

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:29 am

Ah yes, well this is where I started, removing the existing bench seat and relocating the wiring to under the seat on the opposite side.
This is the Missus will not talk to you part.

Pic 3 Construction

I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:35 am

This is where the loo will go, just testing for height. Oh well we are all friends aren’t we…
Pic 4 me on the throne.

I would use the extra bit of space at the rear wall to install a plastic basin with a mixing tap. All my van plastic plumbing was purchased through Carac in Dandenong, not only because they have a great range but the fact is that I live 7 minutes away from them. I used half inch copper in the area under the base but used John Guest fitting in many other areas, as they are easy to use. I always use a strengthening insert on the hot side and they also sell small Collette’s to prevent any slippage of the pipe within the joint I can show all this type of stuff if anyone is interested later on. I also put in extra drainage outlets for when the van may not be standing exactly level.
Pic 5 base area

The left hand end is free to install a basin. I will use all the space.
1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:43 am

I did the plumbing in copper as it is inaccessible. But it has to be well clipped.

Notice that I installed extra wast outlets in the shower base. You may think it is excessive till you find that no camp sit is dead level. :) This way you get excellent drainage.

Note also that the external wall has a window in it. this now has an external Robbin Hood cover available in most sizes.

1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:49 am

And now we are getting on with the walls. Notice the window was left in place and I simply veneered around it. The window is now sporting a Remington cover for the occasions we want the window opened. These covers are available for all types of Dometic window and are easy to fit on the outside of the windows.

I made an extra-long shower arm so that it would be at head height. The shower simply lifts up and has plenty of height.
And also installed a flexible shower head to use as required and for easy clean down of the cubicle.

I steel framed the cubicle using light tubing. You could make it from Meranti. Basin is in place.

1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:56 am

Pic 7 Shower arm. I made the shower arm a fold down one. I cut a brand new one and extended it so that when the pop top is up it makes a good over head height. I then re plated it.
You could easily do other options and hang a flex unit up.

1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:02 am

Caravan And Motorhome, our sponsors of the forum did a write up on the install.

1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:03 am

1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:16 am

The exterior of the WC was lined to match the existing walls. I purchased the canvas lining from Tebbs a company close by in Dandenong. A friend who used to sew canvas tents kindly trimmed the canvas and sewed on Velcro as I requested. Velcro is sewn along the bottom edge on the internal side so that the top can be put down easily without crumpling the material. It came up pretty well.
Pic 10 shows exterior complete.
The Robin Hood cover is in place. Some times in the outback you get a room with a view. :)

It is not for everyone, and I will never knock the folks that like van parks. But self contained is the way to go to see the outback.
1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:27 am

Of course the project leaves many odd jobs to be done to get the thing working. Least of all is the need to install extra water tanks etc. so that we can do our thing which is mostly free camping. Thank heaven for the camps book which is invaluable. Here are the gauges to see how the tanks are faring. I can carry almost 300 litres of water if required for an extended stay. Each tank can be used independently simply by opening its own tap and closing off the others. The drinking tank is completely independent with its own pump and there cannot be any cross contamination between the shower supply and drinking water, costs more but we never get crook.
Pic 11 of gauges

The credit for the schematics is my friend and journalist who works at the Mag HQ.

Of course every ones van and lay out will differ. This is just what I installed.Don’t get overly critical about the vans tank positions and balance etc. The van is exactly on weight and tows well with no problems at high speed.
No wobbles at all. The two rear tank can be left empty for long hauls when you know plenty of water is available. One must always drive to the conditions.
1929 Pop Top

Return to “PICS – unsung inventions & ideas”