Olive or cherry Pip remover

Share your inventions, innovations & ideas – words are good but images are GREAT!
dieseltojo
Major contributor

Olive or cherry Pip remover

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:55 pm

Olive Pip remover
This might seem a strange thing to build but I am going to post a great way to make tasty salted olives so don’t scrub the post just yet.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………..
Ok this my latest gadget. You can buy all manner of these things, but there are a few traps along the way as a friend found.
The thing is that olives come in lots of sizes, and this means they might not fit into the average pip remover. My mate has two now, and both too small for the larger olives.
I made mine by using an old ½” compression nut, riveted and siliconed into a bit of ally pipe. I drilled away most of the internal thread in the nut.
Then I took a piece of 3/8” SS rod About 6” long (150mm) and drilled a countersink in one end and then ran two flutes down both sides. A thin 100mm cut off wheel did the trick.
The flutes assist with the juice (oil) removal during operation, and ease of extraction, and the countersink grabs the pip nicely.
So just a matter of inserting the ss shaft into a drill press and sticking an olive into the cup (brass compression nut). The cup and ally pipe sits in the block of wood over a hole in the drill base. This is so the pips get away easily.
If you think this is all silly, go buy one shop bought, but I will tell you that de-pipping 4 kg of olives takes a fair bit of hand pressing. The alternative is to place the olive on a hard surface and whack it with a hammer (preferably a plastic headed one.) Each olive will take a couple of whacks though. Some even try to get away…..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Re: Olive or cherry Pip remover

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:58 pm

Some more pics to show the pin that does the work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:32 pm

Well, there ya go, just some more genuine Ozzie initiative.
Great stuff (ed olive) Paul 8-)

That said, without out all the machinery, couldn’t ya just split the fruit/veg lengthways with ya finger nail and rip the pip out ?
Lance & Anne
……always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

Cyclone
Rising star

Post by Cyclone » Mon May 01, 2017 11:12 am

This is mine.
Sid
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Mon May 01, 2017 12:37 pm

DT, as a plumber I hope you don’t get your olives mixed up :lol:
De-pip 1.jpg
copper_olive.jpg
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Cyclone
Rising star

Post by Cyclone » Mon May 01, 2017 12:54 pm

:D
Old Techo wrote:DT, as a plumber I hope you don’t get your olives mixed up :lol:
De-pip 1.jpg
copper_olive.jpg
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon May 01, 2017 5:27 pm

Well done OT, I love it…. a very subtle connection and cyclone picked it up pretty quickly…..

I suppose I better let our friends know that in plumbing terms and as OT pictured, an Olive is a tapered brass fitting used in a copper to copper compression fitting.

The point I am making is that when I post my recipe for salted olives you better not use the copper ones….. :)
1929 Pop Top

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Mon May 01, 2017 6:27 pm

Quicker and easier cooking with the copper ones Paul, no pips to worry about :razz:
Lance & Anne
……always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

Cyclone
Rising star

Post by Cyclone » Mon May 01, 2017 7:06 pm

Sorry but I can’t help mysel. Who remembers this pick up line from a TV commercial. Fancy an olive love popeye did
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

A’van
Rising star

Post by A’van » Mon May 01, 2017 9:57 pm

We got about 10 olives from our tree this year, although i think it’s a good idea i think i will wait a bit longer before i will make one. :lol:
Now, how do you stuff them?

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A’van Aliner

Return to “PICS – unsung inventions & ideas”