Van levelling calculator

Share your inventions, innovations & ideas – words are good but images are GREAT!
Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Re: Van levelling calculator

Post by Old Techo » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:56 am

We are drifting away from my intention. This is not a discussion about various levelling devices :confused:

The ramps are very good if you like ramps but they need 2 people to operate in one go. The intention of my idea is solo operation and get it right first go. I rarely involve my wife in backing and setting up :rolleyes:

I said I don’t like ramps but perhaps I should have said I much prefer blocks and don’t wish to carry both. I use my range of blocks for other purposes. Also they allow me to lift up to 6 inches on both wheels so perhaps a bit more range than ramps ;-)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:06 pm

OT, smart idea,
As a bit of a bush type camping person I often camp in places that the ground would be just to rough to get a good reference.

As some would know I have an air suspension and this gives me 5 to 6 inches of suspension adjustment from one side to the other.

Anyway very clever.
I also carry different wood blocks for the corner jacks and for my hydraulic jack if needed.

JR
:razz:

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:45 pm

OT,
Half hour after my post I thought you silly fool all you need to do is put the wedge and spirit level on the floor of the van and it dose not matter what the ground outside is like.

Then I thought my son is doing what you suggested but with technology. He gets his iphone and sits it on the floor in the van and the phone has an app in it that tells him the angle of the phone and he then knows say 2 degrees equates to 2″ under the wheel.

I know that smart phones are not to popular with you so maybe TT could find a $5.00 spirit level on ebay that has a digital read out of level and all you then need is a conversion chart from angle to block thickness.

JR

Archer63
An old hand

Post by Archer63 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:54 pm

Is that app also suitable for android JR ?
2018 Pajero Exceed
2013 Jayco Swan Outback

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:47 pm

Not sure Archer,
Usually if you can get an app for one system it is usually available in the other.

JR

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:08 pm

G’day JR,

I was waiting for the smartphone inclinometer suggestion :lol: I’m certain they have been mentioned here before as levelling devices.

Apart from my dislike of these big, heavy, battery gobbling things I wonder about their accuracy. They decide which way is up using a 3 axis accelerometer chip that I have explained here several times as used in brake controllers. If the van track was say 80 inches then each inch in height difference would be an angle of 0.72 degrees. That is a fairly small angle and a smartphone error of only 1 degree would make it useless.

The other issue I have with using a phone as a level is their length. Unless they are used on dead flat surfaces they can produce wrong results. A level needs to span the peaks and troughs to get a true average value. I know on my van floor that I get different angles in different places as it drops between the chassis cross-members.

The best place to check whether the fridge is level is along the bottom of the fridge. Lateral angle is not very important for the fridge.

Whatever it is that you want level in your van I suggest once you have it perfectly set up then choose a single spot, preferably at a comfortable height on a bench, where the spirit level shows true. Always use that reference spot for future checks, as I will with my calibrated wedge :)
Regards, Old Techo

Archer63
An old hand

Post by Archer63 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:19 pm

Good or bad…I have just downloaded a free caravan leveler app for android phones.
Called Caravan Leveler Free Edition…also comes with a compass….although I already have one of these apps on my phone.
As it’s free….I figure what’s the harm…cost me nothing to try it.

Cheers
Rob
2018 Pajero Exceed
2013 Jayco Swan Outback

Smokeydk
An old hand

Post by Smokeydk » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:46 pm

I know your not talking devices but I purchased one these last year..makes it so easy leveling especially when bush camping..just drive till green light lights up

http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/prod … s_id=14277
Just get out there and enjoy

My Blog .. http://smokeydk.blogspot.com.au/

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:07 pm

Archer63 wrote:Good or bad…I have just downloaded a free caravan leveler app for android phones.
Called Caravan Leveler Free Edition…
Great Rob :)

Now for my benefit please do the standard spirit level test. Find a flat surface either dead level or with a very slight slope. Note the exact bubble position then swap ends (rotate 180 degrees) and see if it reads exactly the same. Many cheap spirit levels have a small error.

Of course using your phone it will display the actual angle. I’m guessing as plus or minus degrees and when reversed only the sign should change. The app will be of little caravan value if it doesn’t have degrees with at least one decimal place.

I look forward to your review :D
Regards, Old Techo

muzz_on_line
An old hand

Post by muzz_on_line » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:07 pm

Hi Guys,

I thought you checked your level by using the bottom of the freezer compartment?

I was always of this opinion and believe I read it in a document that came with the fridge in an old van I once owned.

Correct me if I am wrong as I have been doing this for 35 odd (very odd :rolleyes:) years.

Whenever I get a new van I would level the van, then find a spot on the A Frame and silicone a T level there that displays level as well. Check it with the level in the fridge and let the silicone go off. After that I no longer have to use Freezer as it would be full of food.

This method allows for fridges that may have been installed out of level to the rest of the van.

Cheers
Muzz

Return to “PICS – unsung inventions & ideas”